• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Thanks. That is what I thought, but someone was telling me that they used the other AR type extractor.

Here is a picture of a nice low number M24 receiver.

txuCiGm.jpg

Sniper team on the roof of a police station in Mosul, Iraq. 2004. I believe these guys are from the 2nd Division, direct from Korea or Fort Lewis, Washington. 2nd Division (Stryker) guys from Fort Lewis got desert combat uniforms (DCU) in what would become ACU pattern with sleeve and calf pockets. M24 has the PVS-10 combined day-night scope that wasn't around long (I think had zero issues?). Spotter with M21 and Leupold M3 at left rear:

gs3kcpzz0rb81.jpg

Last edited:
(I think had zero issues?)

Among other things haha. We had three in our platoon, the reticle in mine canted and I experienced reticle shift going from day to NV mode, the second one's elevation turret came off, but the third one survived the deployment. The whole optics package was just meh, on 8.5X I missed the clarity and resolution of the M3A and NV mode was kinda alright for a brief period of time at night. If I remember correctly, after sunset or close to sunrise it was too dark for day mode but still not really optimal for NV mode.

Just picked up my first long range rifle, happens to be an M24. Looking forward to shoot it in March when our range opens up the 600+ yard line, but in the mean time looking for some parts to finalize the build. I managed to snag the last rear sight base OK Weber had before they shut done, but they were unable to supply me with the correct screws.

Would anyone happen to know where I can get the screws for the rear iron sight base? I believe the specs are 6-48 thread, 3/8 length, with a 7/64 low socket head(which appears pretty unique, my google-fu has been fruitless)
NSN number is 1005-01-260-2653 but I believe is exactly the same as the front iron sight base 1005-01-260-2654.

Any help is appreciated, pic is of the screws I’m looking for.

Attachments

• 01E864C5-E4E1-4EA3-84C6-FF3D03DD6A1E.jpeg
    01E864C5-E4E1-4EA3-84C6-FF3D03DD6A1E.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 130
Thats the stock that was on my rifle.
Though the serial number won't tell you the exact month when it was made, I think you can be certain that this is one from late 1988 or very early 1989. Don't let that go, that's a keeper.

Reactions: ODCMP
If anyone is looking for a redfield palma rear sights I have one for sale. Figured I would give you guys a shot. If anyone is looking message me

Reactions: sinister
How well did the M24 triggers hold up in the field? Did the sand and grit cause excessive wear?

Mine held up fine, as well as any other Walker-style trigger did. Occasionally, I'd blow it out but mostly I didn't do anything with it and the rifle always went bang.
That's good to hear, I'm surprised given the precision on these. Thanks.

Found this auction for an M24 that included factory documentation it was leased to the US Army for training.

Never saw that before other than a few DARPA/IBA M40's auctioned by the DCM.

My question is why didn't this rifle have the U.S. proofmark stamped above the serial #?

Found this auction for an M24 that included factory documentation it was leased to the US Army for training.

Never saw that before other than a few DARPA/IBA M40's auctioned by the DCM.

My question is why didn't this rifle have the U.S. proofmark stamped above the serial #?
Only the first contract batch had US stamped above the setial number, c sefies prefix rifes, first 2500 or so.

Reactions: lockedandloaded
Lockedandloaded, going by what has been posted before by Marty B amd others, that only the inital contract run of 2510 rifles, basically c prefix had the US stamp. I have seen 2 e prefix rifles that had the US stamp, one here on the Hide and another sold by Rock Island Auctions. Haven't seen any pictures of g prefix US stamped rifles. The individual selling the US stamped C prefix actions minus bolt, on Gunbroker, also sold a few g prefix that weren't US stamped. I can only presume they are all from the same source when Remingtons assets were being liquidated.

I own an E prefix with the U.S. stamp, and have a photo of another E with it also.

I've not seen any G series with the stamp, my mistake.

There weren't any D or F series if Im correct?

Remington recieved a second contract circa 2001.

26F10F54-9180-44AD-A665-E3374878B7D9.jpeg
513DEB5D-7A81-429E-80F9-E4A8B5B1CF55.jpeg
I’ve been working on putting together a real M24. I’ve always wanted one and there’s something about it’s basic looks that does it for me. Several of you on the forum have helped contribute to this build. From the barreled action, M24 trigger and proper HS stock with Remington marked buttpad. Just need a firing pin assembly and it’s complete.

A student in the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School's Special Forces Sniper Course looks through a weapon scope during sniper training at Fort Bragg, N.C., Aug. 2, 2021.

Is that a real tree undershirt and no face and hand camo... different scope and no front sight base either. Seems odd.

Ghillie suits aren't confined to issue uniforms so this isn't uncommon. Not covering the face. . . . no paint or veil? Well he may be caught by the spotters soon. There's no rear sight base either so he may have thought them superfluous and removed them. Same for the scope base, that's a pic rail. Given that this is SOTIC, I would expect numerous modifications. That's a Leupold Mk6 on top which is a really great upgrade, 3.5-18X.

My guess -- probably a commercial stand-in and a photo-op or demo, since issued M24s have been converted to 2010s, while our allies and clients are still using M24s.

The USAMU converted 50-odd Vietnam-era Air Force M40s in war storage at Anniston Army Depot to "M24 Short Action" for loaners at the Army Long Range Championships in 2004 when we retired the National Match M14. The difference between the short action and the M24 (besides action length) was an adjustable comb and the H-S single stack magazine.

Badger Ordnance and GA Precision pulled our nuts out of the fire when we bought 50 Leupold M3LRs from them they had on-hand from a cancelled foreign contract (Thanks George and Marty!):

Flickr_-_The_U.S._Army_-_2010_All-Army_Small_Arms_Championships.jpg

Last edited:
Did the earliest M24s with a C prefix serial numbered receiver have the M in a circle (Magnetic Particle inspection) stamped on the bolt handle, barrel, and trigger guard? Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my question.

Did the earliest M24s with a C prefix serial numbered receiver have the M in a circle (Magnetic Particle inspection) stamped on the bolt handle, barrel, and trigger guard? Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my question.
Yes

Reactions: mjh30
Thank you. I have another question you may have the answer to. Curious as to why this Ultra M3A surplus scope had a new serial number electro-penciled over the original serial number?

Attachments

• IMG_3555_2_JPG-2271500.JPG
    IMG_3555_2_JPG-2271500.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 99
Thank you. I have another question you may have the answer to. Curious as to why this Ultra M3A surplus scope had a new serial number electro-penciled over the original serial number?
That's a puzzling photo. The M3A scopes had markings that covered the bottom of the scope turret. If this is a M3A, they not only electro-penciled a new serial number but they defaced all the markings on the bottom. I see no trace of the M3A markings at all. If this was a later model M3 the same can be said. There are later model scopes that I THINK only have a very small serial number which, if this is that type of scope, could be covered up by that bar code sticker. Anyone else have any ideas? As to why the serial was electro-penciled, it could be that the engraved serial is concealed by said bar code and they wanted it visible.

Attachments

• 20170418_095854 copy.jpg
    20170418_095854 copy.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Mk4 M3copy.jpg
    Mk4 M3copy.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
If you hold the scope in the light just right you can see the Ultra as well as the SN, which begins with an 88.

If you hold the scope in the light just right you can see the Ultra as well as the SN, which begins with an 88.
Must be coats on top of coats of paint. If that's the case then it is indeed a new serial number because in those days, L & S prefixed the number by the two digit year. I would bet though that electro-penciled number matches the bar code.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjh30
Where can I source the locking ring for the m24 flash hider. The locking ring that came with my kit is the smaller version. I need the large version.

Where can I source the locking ring for the m24 flash hider. The locking ring that came with my kit is the smaller version. I need the large version.
You have the earlier verison for use with the Rem/Redfield front sight. The later flash hider made around 2006 or 7 to fit the ok weber front sight basr has a different thread pitch than the earlier verison so the later lock ring doesnt fit. To make matters worse they have the same nsn.

You have the earlier verison for use with the Rem/Redfield front sight. The later flash hider made around 2006 or 7 to fit the ok weber front sight basr has a different thread pitch than the earlier verison so the later lock ring doesnt fit. To make matters worse they have the same nsn.
Thanks for the info.

What tool is needed to remove the front sight base? I got nothing that will work. Looks to need a specific tool. Photo attached.

Attachments

• 28A5B0C2-D89B-43D8-8502-298CA2675933.jpeg
    28A5B0C2-D89B-43D8-8502-298CA2675933.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 114
This might be sacrilegious but I had my M24 barrel threaded for a SF 762SS can I had on hand. After seeing the SF price sheet list the muzzle device for the M24/M40 I went with it. Has anyone ever seen another M24 with the SF can before?
tempImage9LCygr.jpg

Question regarding the Rpa sight bases: I know the front bases that came on the asa models are blued, but for military shipped rifles does anyone know if the correct finish should actually be a manganese park? It’s difficult to tell from photos I’ve seen, as some of them look to have a more matte/dull finish than the straight up blues pieces.

Perfect, now does anyone know where I can send these off to get parked? OK Weber has shut down their doors(I managed to snag the least rear sight base and front globe from them) so if I lose these I am SOL
I've had very good experience with Gunblack.com for parkerizing.

It's really, really easy to do yourself. I do all small parts at home using Allegheny Arsenal park solution.

M24 .jpg

Finally finished putting together my M24A2. Got this as a barrled action and was able to find all correct parts thanks to this forum! Through some back and forth on here I was able to figure out that this was the commercially avaliable version that Remington Defense released with the 22" barrel AAC adaptor. Love the sling but I don think it fit this rifle. Most likey going to go with a GBRS gray sling. She shoots absolutey lights out and can't wait to take her out to the range again.

View attachment 7814322

Finally finished putting together my M24A2. Got this as a barrled action and was able to find all correct parts thanks to this forum! Through some back and forth on here I was able to figure out that this was the commercially avaliable version that Remington Defense released with the 22" barrel AAC adaptor. Love the sling but I don think it fit this rifle. Most likey going to go with a GBRS gray sling. She shoots absolutey lights out and can't wait to take her out to the range again.
Where did you find the stock? It seems like there are two different versions of the A2 stock, I like that one.