• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Buyer beware on this Gunbroker auction:

The description looked familiar to me, especially the first sentence about the rifle being "leased by Remington to the U.S. Army for training in 2006." A quick search found the Rock Island Auction where I had seen the title and description before.

This is a different rifle and different serial number, but much of the description is the same. It may just be an unknowledgeable seller trying to copy an old description and not knowing what to delete. But I seriously doubt that this rifle was also "leased by Remington to the U.S. Army for training in 2006."

I sent the seller a message yesterday asking about the lease documentation, but haven't heard back.

Just a heads up.

Last edited:
Good, the seller deleted the first sentence which read: "This M24 SWS sniper rifle was manufactured by Remington Arms Company c. 2005 and leased by Remington to the U.S. Army for training in 2006." They also deleted the date on the sling that had been copied from the other auction.

Reactions: Master Gunny
I understand the contract spec for these rifles is the 10x scope, but have seen the variable power scopes mounted ina few rifles, per this thread the pre-mk4 vari-xs were used as well https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...pes-ever-used-on-m24-military-rifles.7032813/

I assume the vari-x scopes were second focal plane, but does anyone know if the mk4 s used were first focal plane? I assume the socom contracted night vision systems used the mk11 ffp scope with McCann rails, but would all of the other 3.5-10s be second focal plane?
Our Mk4 M3LRs in Bat and Group were predominantly FFP, for the obvious reasons it’s was much preferred. Occasionally I did see SFPs come through while teaching but I think it was uncommon especially in the late 2000’s

Just got the email from RWS my BA is done :D

DSCF4720 (1).JPG

I dont know who the mfg of the rear sight base is on the Remington sws collector editions is but I have no need for mine along with the front sight if you want it or anyone else in this thread for that matter.
Still need to find a OK Weber rear sight base.

Reactions: mjh30
Also I was wondering if others had any reports that the latest batch of BO M24 marked mounts were narrower than the originals and weren't working for em.
Unfortunately I can attest to this being true. At least it’s narrower than the 0.835” in the specifications sheet on their site. Looks like they are based on the narrower weaver dimensions. But normal picatinny rings clamp on fine, and even the older Leupold Ultra rings should as well.

Unfortunately, a set of original Ultra rings I have were previously over torqued, so the clamp feet that is pressed against the base when tightened down is slightly bent outward. This isn’t an issue if trying to use them on a picatinny rail, but with the weaver and Badger M24 marked SWS rails being narrower, they won’t lock down.

So if anyone has or knows of where to get the wider earlier/original or even take-off one-piece rail… 🙏

Any info on this scope base? It looks similar to the original one piece base, but was made by GG&G.

Could I use it as a stand-in for the original Leupold base since it's also Weaver pattern?

1leP5Ccl.jpg

The rail pic is a bit of a teaser, I wish they were all m24 mounts, only the front one is a m24 mount, the rest are identical to the m24 rail except the rear mounting pad that attaches to the receiver bridge is made for a full round receiver, I believe that these are Leupold/Brookfield rails that were removed from long action m86 rifles, early mcmillan receivers are full round unlike the Remington. If anyone needs an ultra rare long action m86 scope rail I have plenty available lol. I was considering machining adapters to go in-between the rail and Remington receivers so they can be utilized.
PXL_20220425_231254918.jpg
PXL_20220425_231208875.jpg

I'm building an M24A2'ish rifle from parts I had laying around, all I need is a barrel. The receiver is a Remington M24 "C" prefix with US stamped above the serial number. The NF scope and rings aren't correct, but I think they'll be perfect for the rifle. The Army went with the MARS rail on their A2's because the MIRS was less accurate in their testing. I decided to go with it because I already had it on hand and I don't feel like tracking down another rail. The stock is HS Precision, the bottom metal is Badger Ordnance and the trigger is a Remington M24.

ota29Cd.jpeg

AirRecy.jpeg

EjC09wg.jpeg

I guess I need to find an Ops Inc 3rd Model or whatever silencer. Does anyone have one they'd like to sell?

Unfortunately I can attest to this being true. At least it’s narrower than the 0.835” in the specifications sheet on their site. Looks like they are based on the narrower weaver dimensions. But normal picatinny rings clamp on fine, and even the older Leupold Ultra rings should as well.

Unfortunately, a set of original Ultra rings I have were previously over torqued, so the clamp feet that is pressed against the base when tightened down is slightly bent outward. This isn’t an issue if trying to use them on a picatinny rail, but with the weaver and Badger M24 marked SWS rails being narrower, they won’t lock down.

So if anyone has or knows of where to get the wider earlier/original or even take-off one-piece rail… 🙏
I can confirm. I have two sets of ultra rings and neither of them will tighten fully on the badger rail.

I am also in search of an ultra rail.

Since the Badger drop in DBM for the M24 stock is no longer available,. Is the M5 an option? I know it necessarily isn't correct, but top loading is a pita.

I was hoping all the M24 stuff that came to market recently would have brought more activity to this thread. Then we could've tried convincing Badger to do another run of DBMs.

No just one each, if you poke around they are out there, I picked up 4 extra mags myself for my project, I only have 4 spare bottom metal with one mag available the others are spoken for.

As far as the optic goes, the build post says:

Follow on contract scopes are marked
LEUPOLD
MARK 4
M3-10X
XXXXXXF

I'm looking at a C suffix serial number Mark 4 M3-10X, would that still be considered correct?

As far as the optic goes, the build post says:

Follow on contract scopes are marked
LEUPOLD
MARK 4
M3-10X
XXXXXXF

I'm looking at a C suffix serial number Mark 4 M3-10X, would that still be considered correct?
C prefix would mean 1995, cw turrets on that, and yeah correct got a pic

Reactions: JTM20
I have an M24 can that I don't think I will ever use. Wondering if anyone here would have a use for it? Not sure how to get it transferred from my trust though.
20211210_194539.jpg
20211210_194635.jpg

Give HS Precision a call. From the looks of the 011 product page, you may be able to custom order one.

View attachment 7872875
They will not sell you an M24 stock. It won’t have the Remington butt pad. The pic posted is thicker. Good for a clone. How much do you think a NOS M24 and bottom metal would go for?

Have you asked them? I figured the thin Remington marked pad wouldn't be an option. I sure it could be unscrewed or peeled off and sanded thinner though, if one was so inclined.

I cant remember what I sold my 024 stock for. I think $700 with the bottom metal. It was an ASA model take-off though. I'm sure a M24R stock would bring a bit more.

Have you asked them? I figured the thin Remington marked pad wouldn't be an option. I sure it could be unscrewed or peeled off and sanded thinner though, if one was so inclined.

I cant remember what I sold my 024 stock for. I think $700 with the bottom metal. It was an ASA model take-off though. I'm sure a M24R stock would bring a bit more.
Yes many have asked. Way back in this thread I believe.

ASA stock is the real deal. From what I’ve seen value would be good as any. It’s the same stock as all M24’s. There is nothing different on an ASA gun compared to any other M24 for the most part. I had not heard that ASA M24 not being the same as others.. I have an ASA and a Remy M24R. Serial numbers are the only difference and the stock is used issued.

The ASA stock I had didn't have the flat drop in the comb of the stock. I didnt even know it was a thing until Marco pointed it out to me when I was trying to trade him some stuff for it.
I dont know when, but at some point they did change slightly. I'm not arguing that it wouldnt be considered the real deal though.

The stock I had
g4cz5Ed.jpg

pic from earlier in the thread
russ_m24r_range2-jpg.7403485

Do we know what exactly was down to these rifles in terms of extra machining to accurize them if any? I know what the Marine did at Quantico but have never heard anything about the US Army M24.
M24 SWS was assembled by a Remington armorer, not US Army Marksmanship Training Unit (USAMTU) armorers. There isnt much additional accurizing to be done that would equate to higher accuracy. Aluminum bedding block eliminates pillar bedding. The requirement to detach the scope eliminates welding the ring bases. The BM was already assembled. Larger scope base bolts were machined. And the trigger was custom built. The main item contributing to accuracy was the hammer-forged 5R barrel. Could they have line bored & trued the rings? Welded the barrel lug on? Threaded the barrel for a blast suppressor? Install a Sako-style extractor? Tight neck the chamber?
My opinion is that more emphasis needed to be placed on ammunition. M118LR using the SHPBTMK 175gr was the great equalizer between M40A1 & M24 platforms.

M24 SWS was assembled by a Remington armorer, not US Army Marksmanship Training Unit (USAMTU) armorers. There isnt much additional accurizing to be done that would equate to higher accuracy. Aluminum bedding block eliminates pillar bedding. The requirement to detach the scope eliminates welding the ring bases. The BM was already assembled. Larger scope base bolts were machined. And the trigger was custom built. The main item contributing to accuracy was the hammer-forged 5R barrel. Could they have line bored & trued the rings? Welded the barrel lug on? Threaded the barrel for a blast suppressor? Install a Sako-style extractor? Tight neck the chamber?
My opinion is that more emphasis needed to be placed on ammunition. M118LR using the SHPBTMK 175gr was the great equalizer between M40A1 & M24 platforms.
I carried and M40A1/A3. M24 is every bit as accurate. Unertl scope was only 10x. M118 sucked. M24 is a very accurate rifle. I would say all things being equal that it’s on par with M40A1/A3

Sorry if this is already covered in this or some other thread, but I’m going to be lazy and avoid scanning through 24 pages of posts by asking here and now.

The M24 Rebuild that I have has some numbers written on the butt pad of the formerly issued stock. Does anyone know if this is common and if there is any significance to the numbers? Rack or team number perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

258405CA-B9D8-45CF-BCD6-1736EB8DC7B6.jpeg

Sorry if this is already covered in this or some other thread, but I’m going to be lazy and avoid scanning through 24 pages of posts by asking here and now.

The M24 Rebuild that I have has some numbers written on the butt pad of the formerly issued stock. Does anyone know if this is common and if there is any significance to the numbers? Rack or team number perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 7874979
Would it be the last 3 of the rifles serial number?

Is this the correct Redfield front sight base? It measures 0.175" tall, 0.94" long, and the center to center hole distance is 0.562".
20220523_134448.jpg20220523_134525.jpg20220523_134604.jpg

Team Number?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 7874979
Team Number?

Reactions: mjh30