• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Is there a “correct” way to install the M24 1907 Mrt sling? I’ve looked at every picture in this thread, and I’ve seen them every which way.

So, I have gotten a bunch of information from this thread for this build and figured I would ask all of your opinions, I have this "mini" m24 I put together from a remington defense barreled action I got earlier this year and am stuck on what optic to get, I was going to turn it into a m24a2 but I couldn't bring myself to turn down the barrel so getting a 7.62 rc2 for it. I've been torn between getting a medium or high mag mk4 or getting the correct scope for the mk12mod 1 and putting the mk5 3.6-18 on it since it already isnt "clone correct". Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220607_151133.jpg
    20220607_151133.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: ValveTech
Was the barreled threaded when you bought it. Since you are so far along with a 24a2, why not continue, that is if you can source one of Ron's cans.

It was already threaded from remington defense yes, but it doesn't have the turned down portion for the a2 suppressor. And it's a short action so still not technically correct, but has all of the proof marks from factory still so I want to keep it original

20220712_223044.jpg

All parts acquired. Time to send this out to be built.

20220713_132056.jpg

The ADL magazine box fitting was a pain. I ended up making a relief cut for the floor plate hinge. Not sure if it's correct, but it made repeated reassembly much easier.

How were the M24 magazine boxes coated?

So, I have gotten a bunch of information from this thread for this build and figured I would ask all of your opinions, I have this "mini" m24 I put together from a remington defense barreled action I got earlier this year and am stuck on what optic to get, I was going to turn it into a m24a2 but I couldn't bring myself to turn down the barrel so getting a 7.62 rc2 for it. I've been torn between getting a medium or high mag mk4 or getting the correct scope for the mk12mod 1 and putting the mk5 3.6-18 on it since it already isnt "clone correct". Thoughts?
I put a Mk 5 on mine. The “correct” scopes are almost the same price and hard to come by.
5E64CDE2-EE4C-4BF9-806B-A38814ADC8B1.jpeg

I bought my M24 from another member of this site. He said he purchased it from Arms Unlimited. Anyone know where they came from? Contract over run, commercial sales,etc? Or anyone know when they were built?
E66B6CDB-5ED7-4D3E-93CD-FF54D3DC8C2E.jpeg

Attachments

• 4086970F-76B2-4A8C-AC68-061C1197A0FD.jpeg
    4086970F-76B2-4A8C-AC68-061C1197A0FD.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 134
I bought my M24 from another member of this site. He said he purchased it from Arms Unlimited. Anyone know where they came from? Contract over run, commercial sales,etc? Or anyone know when they were built?View attachment 7912073
Remington may be able to help. Have you dated the receiver by the serial number? I'd guess police sale if Arm Unl was involved. Looks brand spanking new so it must have sit until a commercial sale...maybe?

Reactions: ValveTech
Remington may be able to help. Have you dated the receiver by the serial number? I'd guess police sale if Arm Unl was involved. Looks brand spanking new so it must have sit until a commercial sale...maybe?
I’ve been googling SN list but haven’t been able to find one close.

You have to use the barrel to date the rifle. There should be two letters on the left side of the barrel, just ahead of the receiver. Use the code in the link.

The serial number helps too, but is not precise.

I bought my M24 from another member of this site. He said he purchased it from Arms Unlimited. Anyone know where they came from? Contract over run, commercial sales,etc? Or anyone know when they were built?View attachment 7912073
The RR prefix is a clear indicator that this rifle was built by Remington as part of the Re-Issue campaign. The barrel date code will likely put you into the 2013 or later time frame. I can't make out the 2 letters on the barrel from your picture but that will definitively tell you when it was built.

The RR prefix is a clear indicator that this rifle was built by Remington as part of the Re-Issue campaign. The barrel date code will likely put you into the 2013 or later time frame. I can't make out the 2 letters on the barrel from your picture but that will definitively tell you when it was built.
Barrel letters look like “WM”

With regards the re-issue campaign, are you talking about the collectors edition that is when they used old stocks, bottom metal's, etc with new barrels and receivers. Because some were g-prefix and later ones rr, as that was remingtons prefix since 2012/13. They still made new M24's during that time frame.

Reactions: superdave269

With regards the re-issue campaign, are you talking about the collectors edition that is when they used old stocks, bottom metal's, etc with new barrels and receivers. Because some were g-prefix and later ones rr, as that was remingtons prefix since 2012/13. They still made new M24's during that time frame.

I know of some RR prefix receivers that were in Army inventory. The ones I have recorded so far all had letter suffixes in the A, B, and C range. There may have been others with later suffixes too.

mjh30 made an important point, that new M24's were still being built by Remington in parallel with the M24's sold commercially as part of the Remington Rebuild Program. It is true most of the serial numbers used in the Rebuild Program had the RR prefix, aside from some G prefix receivers used in the beginning of the program as noted above. At the same time though, Remington was using RR prefix receivers to fulfill their Army contract, law enforcement sales and foreign military contracts.

My guess is that as Remington fulfilled their contract with the Army to convert the existing M24's into M2010's, they replaced some receivers. The time frame would be correct for RR receivers appearing in Army inventory in the 2013 or 2014 time frame.

I know of some RR prefix receivers that were in Army inventory. The ones I have recorded so far all had letter suffixes in the A, B, and C range. There may have been others with later suffixes too.

mjh30 made an important point, that new M24's were still being built by Remington in parallel with the M24's sold commercially as part of the Remington Rebuild Program. It is true most of the serial numbers used in the Rebuild Program had the RR prefix, aside from some G prefix receivers used in the beginning of the program as noted above. At the same time though, Remington was using RR prefix receivers to fulfill their Army contract, law enforcement sales and foreign military contracts.

My guess is that as Remington fulfilled their contract with the Army to convert the existing M24's into M2010's, they replaced some receivers. The time frame would be correct for RR receivers appearing in Army inventory in the 2013 or 2014 time frame.
My first Re-Issue was a G built in 2010.

I'm sure mine is not "right", but I beleive it does take the top frog off the shoulder. I can double check this afternoon.

The sling looks nice on your M24.

That's an awesome Mk13 build! I remember that stock, it's a very nice one with a lot of character! Ot looks like you still have the hang tag on the trigger guard, you can remove it, it's not original to the rifle. I added the to the stocks so that I'd have another place to see the serial number, instead of always having to look in the barrel channel.

Sorry for the side track everyone, just saw something awesome I wanted to comment on. Back to the M24 stuff, here's an extremely rare Talbot M24 QD mount (I only know of 2 of these mounts. I can't remember if I still have this one or if I sold it). It comes with 2 QD rails, 1 with the scope rings and 1 that's picatinny so that you can mount night vision or thermal. The respective mounts stay with their optics. Interesting concept, but it puts the shooter's head up way to high, literally a chin weld. It would be much bett with the M24A2 and it's adjustable cheekpiece.

qNF8DLS.jpeg

CdQ8izu.jpeg

FIYI52B.jpeg

LDF9vyf.jpeg

FACXOLh.jpeg

ejENNq9.jpeg

JrcFch1.jpeg

Q79DW2J.jpeg

YTWMizv.jpeg

nAKTYHR.jpeg

I can't remember if I've posted these photos here before, but they're here now.

This is the response i got from RemArms when I asked about the serial number and a letter of authenticity.

The Remington Outdoor Company ceased operation in late 2020. Letters are no longer available. Thank you!

This is the response i got from RemArms when I asked about the serial number and a letter of authenticity.

The Remington Outdoor Company ceased operation in late 2020. Letters are no longer available. Thank you!
Damn they are kinda harsh about it lol

What the hell did they do with all the data... typical restructure mentality I guess. Lot's of useful history lost.
Someone has the SN data. I’m pretty sure the atf requires SN data to kept on file. Unconstitutionally, of course.

Any FFL “bound book” files of the old company would have been turned over to the BATF. The new FFL of the new company would start fresh.

Who knows where the corporate files ended up.

If any of you guys have M24 receivers with C, E and G prefix serial numbers that were acquired from JFE on Gunbroker, they might be Army used receivers and you should do a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) request on them! I have 5 M24 receivers with C prefix serial numbers and a US stamp above the serial number. I recently received FOIA paperwork on all 5 receivers and the person who processed emailed me the documents and said "your FOIA request had some of the best information to date." So, if your M24 receiver is military surplus, you'll be able to get some great information on it! I'll have to look up the deployments from the units listed on my paperwork, but one of them came back saying that receiver had been to Iraq! Another one of my M24 receivers was in an Army Special Forces unit!

Send an email requesting serial number information to the U.S. Army Logistics Data Analysis Center (LDAC). I accidentally sent my request to the wrong office and they forwarded my request to the LDAC. I was using the pull down menus instead of grabbing the correct email address listed under them. As a side note, if you have other FOIA requests for other military branches, use the options in the pull down menus. I think I received my M24 information within a few weeks of submission, the DOD processes these requests quite quickly! As stated in previous posts, the new Rem Arms company doesn't have any documentation, this is the only route to go for information pertaining to your serial number. Obviously this is for military surplus firearms only, they don't have any information on commercial firearms (such as the ASA M24's, the rebuilt RR M24's, your grandfather's Model 700 form 1962, etc.). I figure I'd add that bit of information in case some idiot tries to ask the government for information on a firearm that the government never owned.

Also, if I had an FFL and could sell firearms, I'd buy a ton of these receivers from JFE, get FOIA paperwork on each receiver and list them one at a time on Gunbroker for a lot of money! You're welcome, anyone who actually does this and makes a profit, lol.

Here's the information taken directly from the FOIA website, the DOD small arms records goes back to 1975, so you can request information on other weapons such as the Army surplus M17 pistols. It doesn't cost anything, so there's no reason not to submit your request. Also, they don't ask if you're the owner of that firearm with that serial number, so don't be afraid of this being some kind of secret ATF firearm owner database. I'm even going to submit the serial numbers for the M4 and M9 I was issued, and the M40A3 my team leader was issued. Send your type of firearm and serial numbers (i.e. M24 serial number Cxxxxxxx) to the email address below:

If you are seeking DOD Small Arms/Light Weapons Registry records for serialized weapons, DLA does not the own/maintain/control this data. Please submit your FOIA request for this data directly to:

USARMY Logistics Data Analysis Center (LDAC) Miss Mickelle Penn Freedom of Information Act Officer [email protected]

https://foiaonline.gov/foiaonline/action/public/request

Good luck to everyone who submits their M24 serial numbers, hopefully you get some great information from your FOIA request!

For all of the guys having to building rifles and trying to go the extra mile and make it as correct as possible, specifically those building off of stripped actions and having to buy separate bolts. Page 1 lists the coating for bolt bodies as Sandstrom #859-B29 "Black", I have been emailing with Sandstrom to try to get that color but, to paraphrase, it was updated to B26 several years ago for a much deeper black and there isn't a way to lighten it up on the small scale I need for one bolt body. That might mean that they could do it on a larger scale but I do not know what that larger scale might be. I haven't asked if they could do a one time custom order for that reason and I don't want to foot the bill for it unless I get significant interest from others and then I would be taking money upfront if Sandstrom said it's possible. Good day, I am now going to go buy a pint of #859-B26.

For all of the guys having to building rifles and trying to go the extra mile and make it as correct as possible, specifically those building off of stripped actions and having to buy separate bolts. Page 1 lists the coating for bolt bodies as Sandstrom #859-B29 "Black", I have been emailing with Sandstrom to try to get that color but, to paraphrase, it was updated to B26 several years ago for a much deeper black and there isn't a way to lighten it up on the small scale I need for one bolt body. That might mean that they could do it on a larger scale but I do not know what that larger scale might be. I haven't asked if they could do a one time custom order for that reason and I don't want to foot the bill for it unless I get significant interest from others and then I would be taking money upfront if Sandstrom said it's possible. Good day, I am now going to go buy a pint of #859-B26.
How difficult is it to apply?

How difficult is it to apply?
Not difficult but it would be pointless. I asked if they could lighten a larger batch or do a one time run of B29. They cannot do a lighter batch of B26 and the pigment for B29 is not in inventory and even if it was it would cost thousands for a batch. So this is the end to a very short road.

Separately, is someone willing to post measurements of all of the proof markings? I need the diameter of the circle M, height and width of the REP oval, height of the triangle, letter height for the assembly code, letter height for the 7.62 NATO, and number height for the last four of the serial on the bottom of the bolt handle. I want to order a set of custom stamps to make this look as legit as possible.

Not difficult but it would be pointless. I asked if they could lighten a larger batch or do a one time run of B29. They cannot do a lighter batch of B26 and the pigment for B29 is not in inventory and even if it was it would cost thousands for a batch. So this is the end to a very short road.

Separately, is someone willing to post measurements of all of the proof markings? I need the diameter of the circle M, height and width of the REP oval, height of the triangle, letter height for the assembly code, letter height for the 7.62 NATO, and number height for the last four of the serial on the bottom of the bolt handle. I want to order a set of custom stamps to make this look as legit as possible.
What type of finish is this,couldnt you just custom mix a batch of cerakote to get the color you want?

What type of finish is this,couldnt you just custom mix a batch of cerakote to get the color you want?
It's a dry film lube. At this point it's a question of do I want the correct color but wrong finish (cerakote) or do I want the correct finish but wrong color (Sandstrom #859-B26)? Unless I find someone with an old can of the B29 I am probably going to go with the correct B26 because for me for me for this project I want to experience Sandstrom finish and why it was used instead of something else. I am building an A2 from a C series U.S. stamped action, I am going for a rifle that would have been sent back to Remington for rework. If I change my mind I can always cerakote the bolt in the correct color. I am open to input for going cerakote from the start

It's a dry film lube. At this point it's a question of do I want the correct color but wrong finish (cerakote) or do I want the correct finish but wrong color (Sandstrom #859-B26)? Unless I find someone with an old can of the B29 I am probably going to go with the correct B26 because for me for me for this project I want to experience Sandstrom finish and why it was used instead of something else. I am building an A2 from a C series U.S. stamped action, I am going for a rifle that would have been sent back to Remington for rework. If I change my mind I can always cerakote the bolt in the correct color. I am open to input for going cerakote from the start

I wouldnt Cerakote the bolt body unless you use something like Microslick, but that's also a deep black.
Khugkev.jpeg

Sandstrom does make a gray colored #859 (they call it Urban Assault Gray) maybe that'll be closer to the old black color.

I did notice that some of the barreled M24 actions that hit the market this year have gray film lube on the bolts.

Screenshot_20220627-173046_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldnt Cerakote the bolt body unless you use something like Microslick, but that's also a deep black.
View attachment 7919956

Sandstrom does make a gray colored #859 (they call it Urban Assault Gray) maybe that'll be closer to the old black color.

I did notice that some of the barreled M24 actions that hit the market this year have gray film lube on the bolts.

View attachment 7919972
I must have glazed over that when I was looking. I will probably give that a try because in a lot of pictures I have looked that the original bolts do look more gray than black. Worse comes to worse I respray over it, it sticks to itself according to Sandstrom

Reactions: JTM20
I must have glazed over that when I was looking. I will probably give that a try because in a lot of pictures I have looked that the original bolts do look more gray than black. Worse comes to worse I respray over it, it sticks to itself according to Sandstrom
Interested to see how it comes out.

I have an older used take off bolt for my C prefix receiver build, so I'm sure the bolt will need to be refinished after being blueprinted. I'd really like it to make sure it looks the part.

Reactions: superdave269

Since you have a real M24 receiver, are you going to submit a FOIA request for information on it? I'll try to post the FOIA paperwork that came back on my five C prefix receivers, it's free to do and was definitely worth it

Reactions: lockedandloaded
Since you have a real M24 receiver, are you going to submit a FOIA request for information on it? I'll try to post the FOIA paperwork that came back on my five C prefix receivers, it's free to do and was definitely worth it
Hell yeah! I am also going to do it for some of the M4s my unit has because they all consist of Colt XM16E1, M16A1, GM Hydra, and H&R receivers. I want to see where some of these things have been because I bet they have stories to tell!

Reactions: USMCSGT0331
Back to the DFL on the bolt, back in 88-89 it may have been more black than the gray of late.

My 1989 dated RR kit has followers that have a black/very dark gray DFL on them, I can only surmise that the bolts had the same coating.

Anyone with an original 1988 to early 90s M24 that can verify?

20220801_012754.jpg

2007 E-Series bolt & follower. The location where "Rem-Tuff" proprietary powder coating has been applied on top of the Sandstrom dry film lubricant is visible.

I can not find any contractor documentation that superceded the original Sandstrom E-859-B29. A derivation of color change may not have needed approval?

Last edited:
View attachment 7923968
2007 E-Series bolt & follower. The location where "Rem-Tuff" proprietary powder coating has been applied on top of the Sandstrom dry film lubricant is visible.

I can not find any contractor documentation that superceded the original Sandstrom E-859-B29. A derivation of color change may not have needed approval?

So the entire bolt is Sandstorm coated, then Rem-tuff is applied to the bolt handle? Interesting way to do it.

Reactions: lockedandloaded
If any of you guys have M24 receivers with C, E and G prefix serial numbers that were acquired from JFE on Gunbroker, they might be Army used receivers and you should do a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) request on them! I have 5 M24 receivers with C prefix serial numbers and a US stamp above the serial number. I recently received FOIA paperwork on all 5 receivers and the person who processed emailed me the documents and said "your FOIA request had some of the best information to date." So, if your M24 receiver is military surplus, you'll be able to get some great information on it! I'll have to look up the deployments from the units listed on my paperwork, but one of them came back saying that receiver had been to Iraq! Another one of my M24 receivers was in an Army Special Forces unit!

Send an email requesting serial number information to the U.S. Army Logistics Data Analysis Center (LDAC). I accidentally sent my request to the wrong office and they forwarded my request to the LDAC. I was using the pull down menus instead of grabbing the correct email address listed under them. As a side note, if you have other FOIA requests for other military branches, use the options in the pull down menus. I think I received my M24 information within a few weeks of submission, the DOD processes these requests quite quickly! As stated in previous posts, the new Rem Arms company doesn't have any documentation, this is the only route to go for information pertaining to your serial number. Obviously this is for military surplus firearms only, they don't have any information on commercial firearms (such as the ASA M24's, the rebuilt RR M24's, your grandfather's Model 700 form 1962, etc.). I figure I'd add that bit of information in case some idiot tries to ask the government for information on a firearm that the government never owned.

Also, if I had an FFL and could sell firearms, I'd buy a ton of these receivers from JFE, get FOIA paperwork on each receiver and list them one at a time on Gunbroker for a lot of money! You're welcome, anyone who actually does this and makes a profit, lol.

Here's the information taken directly from the FOIA website, the DOD small arms records goes back to 1975, so you can request information on other weapons such as the Army surplus M17 pistols. It doesn't cost anything, so there's no reason not to submit your request. Also, they don't ask if you're the owner of that firearm with that serial number, so don't be afraid of this being some kind of secret ATF firearm owner database. I'm even going to submit the serial numbers for the M4 and M9 I was issued, and the M40A3 my team leader was issued. Send your type of firearm and serial numbers (i.e. M24 serial number Cxxxxxxx) to the email address below:

If you are seeking DOD Small Arms/Light Weapons Registry records for serialized weapons, DLA does not the own/maintain/control this data. Please submit your FOIA request for this data directly to:

USARMY Logistics Data Analysis Center (LDAC) Miss Mickelle Penn Freedom of Information Act Officer [email protected]

https://foiaonline.gov/foiaonline/action/public/request

Good luck to everyone who submits their M24 serial numbers, hopefully you get some great information from your FOIA request!

Would they have info on scopes and nightvision equipment?

Would they have info on scopes and nightvision equipment?

I doubt it, but it's worth a shot. It looks like @ODCMP already tried with his USMC scopes, but that might just be a USMC thing (the Corps hates sharing information or providing stuff to the CMP). They didn't have any records on my original M40's either, but that could also be due to how long ago they left the Corps. I think they say that their records only go back a few decades. So, it could be for small arms and not optics, it could be military branch dependent or it could be the time the items were in service. There's a few factors to consider, but it doesn't cost anything to request FOIA info, so just take a few minutes and submit it anyways.