• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Damn that S&B looks good on there. What model is that??

Damn that S&B looks good on there. What model is that??
4-16x42 PM II. It has the PR Gen II Mil dot, so I'm not even sure if it was built by S&B. I heard somewhere that PR built the S&B's that had their reticles in them. These may have seen limited use use in service, but I think the one with Horus reticle were more common, and they weren't common either. As far as I know S&B doesn't make this model anymore. I was told this was a T&E scope, but I have no way to verify or care really. It's a great scope.

Looking thru some of my sunshades, obviously one is not grooved, the other two are. Always just assumed they were MK4 m3 versions, with the interior threads at the muzzle end so they could be joined. But it appears none have real threads that could actually used, the original on the left and the middle, have a faint thread texture, the one on the right is completely smooth inside.

20211215_191749.jpg

Managed to get ahold of an AE m24 suppressor. Should have pics of that before the new year and get form 4 started just in time for the eForms.
Also picked this up at the fun shop today. Getting closer…
6CCFED85-57E3-4E97-A9D3-E262AAE0AECB.jpeg

4-16x42 PM II. It has the PR Gen II Mil dot, so I'm not even sure if it was built by S&B. I heard somewhere that PR built the S&B's that had their reticles in them. These may have seen limited use use in service, but I think the one with Horus reticle were more common, and they weren't common either. As far as I know S&B doesn't make this model anymore. I was told this was a T&E scope, but I have no way to verify or care really. It's a great scope.
PR built many 3-12's, 4-16's, and 5-25's in house, Germany would send parts and PR would build them. Mostly they got Gen 2 or Gen 2 XR reticles (4-16 and 5-25 only) but PR installed Horus reticles too. Horus would send several reticles but they were generally shit quality so you got what you got. There are pics of USMC Recon using some 4-16's with Horus reticles and an Army SMU used them, another government agency put in an order but I believe they switched at the last minute and got 5-25's. The crux of the 4-16 is its lack of elevation adjustment but otherwise it was an excellent scope.

PR built many 3-12's, 4-16's, and 5-25's in house, Germany would send parts and PR would build them. Mostly they got Gen 2 or Gen 2 XR reticles (4-16 and 5-25 only) but PR installed Horus reticles too. Horus would send several reticles but they were generally shit quality so you got what you got. There are pics of USMC Recon using some 4-16's with Horus reticles and an Army SMU used them, another government agency put in an order but I believe they switched at the last minute and got 5-25's. The crux of the 4-16 is its lack of elevation adjustment but otherwise it was an excellent scope.
I could definitely see this as an issue with any larger caliber than .308. For the .308, it seems just about perfect as it will get me out to ~1200yds.

Managed to get ahold of an AE m24 suppressor. Should have pics of that before the new year and get form 4 started just in time for the eForms.
Also picked this up at the fun shop today. Getting closer…
View attachment 7763817
Is that the one going through D Wilson? I can help ya out with some pics if it is 🍻

The NRA Museum serial number is higher!
Just to be clear here folks before everyone gets too excited, the serial number range doesn't necessarily denote the date it was manufactured into a working firearm from Remington. The receivers are built in batches, serialized and then they're binned. Some of these receivers would be picked and taken into the Remington Custom Shop M24 line and assembled. The actual birthdate for the weapon is depicted on the barrel code. This is my 1988 M24 which was delivered to the Army either in the first lot of 100 in Oct 1988 or the second lot of 100 in December 1988.

Serial.jpg

Refer to this site to decode the weapon manufacture dates for nearly any Remington firearm. Remington Society of America

Reactions: lockedandloaded
Long time lurker as well. Here's the beginnings of my build. Barrel blank is Rock Creek's M24 profile with the correct twist rate.

I still need the rest of the parts, including a bolt. Were they blued, jeweled, or stainless under the coating?

View attachment 7776563
The bolt forward of the bolt handle was coated in dry film lube, the handle and the rear portion, the firing pin and housing, were powdercoated. The underside of the bolt handle has the serial number letter prefix and the last four of the serial number engraved (stamped) matching it to the receiver.

It is alot better than the Leupold 10X on my M24!

Are GAP rifles good clone builds?

Also, we have a line on a number of Rem 700 receivers, but not M24 marked. Were all M24 riles marked M24? Maybe these were M40. I understand there are a range that were bad and serial numbers that were good. This is a Remington batch of barreled receiverss.

March 1992, USMC Lt. Col. Norman Chandler published Death From Afar Vol. 1. and documented all 995 Remington M40 serial numbers. He also listed every 10X Unertl scope ser.# & purchase date.

Remington Arms was sold off at bankruptcy auction Sept. 2020.

Records of the Remington M24 and Leupold M3a/Mk 4 need to be preserved.

Very true. I wonder who has the Remington files now?

The M24 serial numbers should be able to be found through an FOIA request to the Army or DoD, unless they are still classified.

I have tried to ask some details from Leupold before without much luck, but I know they have the records.

The M24 serial numbers should be able to be found through an FOIA request to the Army or DoD, unless they are still classified.
DOD Small Arms (excluding "Black Weapons") are documented in the DOD Small Arms Master Registry. Classified serials (including commercial buys) are handled separately. A FOIA request for M24 - M2010 conversion should get you what you want.

You may have to specify you want the numbers for United States military weapons, vice those bought through the Army under Foreign Military Sales / Foreign Military Grants, otherwise you'll get ALL of them. That might make for interesting reading, considering our friends and allies who bought them:

• 23px-Flag_of_Algeria.svg.png
    Algerian People's National Army
  • 23px-Flag_of_Bangladesh.svg.png
    Bangladesh
  • 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
    Brazilian Special Operations Brigade
  • 23px-Flag_of_El_Salvador.svg.png
    El Salvador
  • 23px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png
    Hungary: Bercsény László Különleges Műveleti Zászlóalj.
  • 23px-Flag_of_Iraq.svg.png
    Iraqi Army, Iraqi special forces, and Popular Mobilisation Units
  • 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png
    Israel Defense Forces
  • 23px-Flag_of_Georgia.svg.png
    Georgia
  • 23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
    JGSDF snipers, paratroopers of 1st Airborne Brigade, and Special Forces Group
  • 21px-Flag_of_Kosovo.svg.png
    Kosovo
  • 23px-Flag_of_Lebanon.svg.png
    Lebanon
  • 23px-Flag_of_the_Philippines.svg.png
    Philippine Army and Philippine Marine Corps

Decades ago I called John Unertl at his house hoping to get info on the 10X. His wife answered and basically told me to pound salt, they wouldn't give any info out due to the scope still being classified material. Same thing when I called Leupold asking for info about the M3alpha. At the time, it was an uncatalogued item not available to civilians. I went ahead and wrote a magazine article on it, but it lacked detailed info.

Sinister your suggestion of a FOIA request sounds good. Have you ever filed one previously? I'd like to try. Does it require some official reason to request the info?

Decades ago I called John Unertl at his house hoping to get info on the 10X. His wife answered and basically told me to pound salt, they wouldn't give any info out due to the scope still being classified material. Same thing when I called Leupold asking for info about the M3alpha. At the time, it was an uncatalogued item not available to civilians. I went ahead and wrote a magazine article on it, but it lacked detailed info.

Sinister your suggestion of a FOIA request sounds good. Have you ever filed one previously? I'd like to try. Does it require some official reason to request the info?
Nope. Send a request, get an answer. Plenty of guys have gotten them for the surplus/return Sig M17s lately.

Anyone have a lead on the iron sight bases (front and rear) I need to locate a set for my rifle and I can’t seem to find any.

Didnt the Egyptian M24 come with these muzzle comps threaded on? This pic was recovered weapons from a bombing. It may be their version of flash hider for night vision use. Thats an Aquila 6X AN/PVS-12

Attachments

• 20220112_212055.jpg
    20220112_212055.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: Master Gunny
Anyone have a lead on the iron sight bases (front and rear) I need to locate a set for my rifle and I can’t seem to find any.
I have a higher OK Weber style front dovetail. I can toss it in the box that's going out today if you want it. I don't have a use for it. The rear should be on OK Weber's web site.

Reactions: USNavy06
I have a higher OK Weber style front dovetail. I can toss it in the box that's going out today if you want it. I don't have a use for it. The rear should be on OK Weber's web site.
Thanks! I need them haha. I’ll pay for it

Just realized OkWebers site is gone. I was going to order the sights off there but waited to long.
Does anyone know what happened or why?

He died a few years ago. His wife Ellen's been liquidating stock since.

Go to Champion's Choice in Tennessee.

Do you know what height you need to match your rear sight? This is 3/8 inch:

CCB375_MD.JPG

This is extended for a Redfield Olympic rear (screw holes match Winchester 70 and Remington 700 / M24):

RW590E_LG.JPG

This one's from Warner:

products-Rifle_5.png

This is for the RPA rear sight:

trakker-side-mount-bracket.jpg

There's another option to avoid a rear iron sight base, and that's to use an RPA or Centra rear sight for Picatinny rails -- they clamp directly to a Pic rail base:

30221_20100920104015_2.jpg
19010011_MD.JPG

Last edited:
He died a few years ago. His wife Ellen's been liquidating stock since.

Go to Champion's Choice in Tennessee.

Do you know what height you need to match your rear sight? This is 3/8 inch:

CCB375_MD.JPG
I stumbled across champions choice from the old M24 thread. Looks like the

3/16" (.1875) Single Step Base​

From them will be a very close acceptable replacement.

Yes, I developed it. The USR came about because there were a number of foreign countries that were looking for sniper systems but didn't want to spend $7K+ on one. Additionally the environment that their snipers would be working in was predominately Urban. On top of that our LE sales side was looking for something to promote to US LEA.

Ended up picking one up
USR1.jpg

USR2.jpg

Quick question, does the M2010 bolt have the standard Remington 700 magnum extractors, or did some have the bolt with the AR type extractors?