• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing arrrrrr soft sako screws (optilock rings)

btc624

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
pennsylvania
Does anyone know the size of these screws. I have a sako optilock base and (3) 30mm rings for my trg and the heads of these screws are so soft they couldnt take 15 in lbs of torque before I stripped 2 of them. I would like to find replacement screws for my rings preferably torx heads, any idea as to the size of these of where I can get them??

Re: arrrrrr soft sako screws (optilock rings)

You using the correct size tool? I've never had an issue with them stripping out on any of the 3 TRG's I've used Opti-lock bases on.

If you do find a replacement, It'd be good knowledge to share with the rest of us in case a similar incident occurs with another member. Best of luck.

BTC, I have had the same problem and bought the screws from Fastener Express. I think they were in California( just do a search). These screws are M 3.5X6.5 X 8mm long. The heads are oversize but I just chucked the in my drill press with a cleaning patch protecting the threads and turned to the proper diameter with a fine file. The new screw head sizes are .241" vs .192" for the stock Sako screws. This beats the heck out of $ 4.50 per screw from Beretta.The new heads are deeper where the 2.5 mm allen goes in and they seem to get a lot better purchase on these.

great cbennett thats the route i'm going to take, I called beretta today and was told the screw size was 3.5mm x 7.5 mm and then they said $4.50 per screw but they are on backorder, I said that doesnt surprise me I bet people were beatin the door down for those $4.50 screws LOL.

I have some of the hex heads from some optilock rings that got bent. I'll never use the screws, if you want them send me your address and I'll put them in an envelope for you. They are just he original screws. Make sure you are using a 2.5 mm hex and not an SAE size.

SAME PROBLEM HERE, AND BERETTA IS OUT OF STOCK, ANYONE FOUND A SOLUTION, AND I AM USING THE 2.5 MM ALLEN WRENCH. THANKS RICH

I made some hardened alloy screws to replace the optilock screws and was selling some of the extra sets to cover the costs of making them on Ebay and 24hour campfire.

However - Midwest gun works has the best price on replacement factory optilock screws at around $5.50 a piece - still way too soft so I didn't go that route.

Spot

I too made some out of the oversized alloy 3.6x.65 screws.

The factory screws are 7.5mm long.

And yes I had to turn these buggers on a precise mini-lathe, clean them with a ultrasonic, then hot blue them.

I doubt I'll make more of them in a second batch, so once these are gone...