• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Asking for review of my LR development program.

Frgood

One Sec.
Supporter
Minuteman
May 7, 2019
Apopka, FL (Orlando area)
My range is opening up a new 900 yd. range. Prior to this we only had 300 yds. available with occasional access to a 1000 yd. So, in anticipation and as a LR newbie, I'd like to share my plan as I've been able to figure out and would like to get feedback on if it is reasonable.

With each rifle I plan to exercise the following procedure to get to a point where I can practice LR shooting safely. I also will collect atmospheric data at each session.

1) 100 yd sight-in - Get rifle and ammo combination to get accurate sub-moa hits at 100 yards reliably.
2) Chrono 10 rounds - Collect chrono data
3) Calculate drops and setting 100-1000 yds @ 50 yd increments. - Build my list of settings and produce the chart.
4) Shoot 3-5 rd groups at 100 yd intervals and and create DOPE chart for future reference.

From there I would use the DOPE chart as the basis for future ranging. I would also use that data to confirm Kestrel information.

Is this approach correct for getting set-up?

Yep. You are going the right direction.
Anymore, I skip the chronograph step. I shoot, spot impacts and make corrections out to 300yds and then use the weaponized math after that. It'll get you on target and you'll make minor adjustments to refine point of impact to the center of the target.
Weaponized Math article - Plus search the forum for more info about it.
Remember to collect good weather data and document you wind speeds and directions too.

Thanks Jack,

I started to read the Weaponized Math process and it looks interesting. I will have to invest some time to fully digest it all. For this weekend, I'll keep with the plan. But, after I get qualified to access the range, I can look at that method.

As jack said, let the bullet tell you your holds.
Record weather conditions and observed hits, after a while with various conditions you get a pretty damn good collection of dope.
you can use an app or online ballistic solver to get you reasonably close for starting up then true it up to match your actuals.
I use a kestrel yet I still record my data in a book, especially if I’m experiencing weird conditions or winds.