• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Assuming they'll ever be in stock and legal again, which AR pistol?

gunjunkie45

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 28, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I've been wanting a short AR that can go everywhere with me for a while. The recent Corona fakeness and fucking riots have made it even more of a thing. My wife and I, plus our new twins moved out of a city two weeks ago that assaulted a senator and tore down some statues this week. We still work in that city and I want something I can throw in with my tools, that will always go bang. Mainly if I need to get to the secured facility she works at and bring her home. She is not much of a shooter no matter how hard I try.

Want something very compact. Maybe a folder. Or a pdw. 2000-2500 budget.

What you got?

Last edited:
    Depends what brands you're looking at. PSA has 10.5 and 11.5 uppers with brace and lower kits. Just add a lower, also available, and assemble.

May not be your ideal choice, but it is available.

Reactions: LooseGoose
    Depends what brands you're looking at. PSA has 10.5 and 11.5 uppers with brace and lower kits. Just add a lower, also available, and assemble.

May not be your ideal choice, but it is available.
    I'd prefer to stay towards the upper end of my budget... I like pretty expensive things that go bang. My other ARs are KAC's and Noveske. Jumping down to something that costs $700 seems counter intuitive for something I might bet the farm on.

This. After years of trying to make an AR that fits in my motorcycle bags (actually, lockable aluminum) I settled on the scorpion pistol with a folding brace as the right amount of fire power, control and ease of transport.

And, readily available parts.

I can carry it in an old backpack and no one is the wiser.

AR’s are nice, don’t get me wrong, but I kind of like the cz bren/scorpion setups for a pdw/pcc setup.

CZ-Bren-2-Pistol.jpg

If you want something in .223 or .300 I'd suggest you strongly look at the Sig MCX Virtus Pistol.
    It fits your budget and is smooth to shoot. You can swap between the .223 and the .300

I'd prefer to stay towards the upper end of my budget... I like pretty expensive things that go bang. My other ARs are KAC's and Noveske. Jumping down to something that costs $700 seems counter intuitive for something I might bet the farm on.
    No problem. I saw them on line the other day. Some one was asking what was in stock for plinkers.

Reactions: gunjunkie45
    Was real close to pulling the trigger on the B&T APC 45 with the 3 lug + can from capitol armory a few years back.

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
    Lots of decent to good quality ar15 options.. BCM, lmt, SOLGW, centurion, kac, etc

B&T is a great high quality 9mm option. The cz scorpion or grand power stribog see good options for under 1k (maybe a little more set up the way you want)

And.... go fuck yourself. There's one in every thread and apparently you're that guy. Have fun being poor.

The gun you can buy and have is better than the one you can't get.

Have fun being a dick!

I personally would look at the Sig or CZ myself.

Reactions: crwnking steve
    The gun you can buy and have is better than the one you can't get.

Have fun being a dick!

I personally would look at the Sig or CZ myself.
    I will thanks! I had a dick response in here but missed the part where you gave legitimate advice. Edited to reflect that. And I apologize. Totally didn't get half of your response at first .

Last edited:
    I just scored a Daniel Defense MK18 a few weeks ago at my LGS. It came with the Law Tactical Folding Brace. Very happy with it so far. Pretty easy to put 5 rounds inside 2" at 100 with match grade ammo and an Aimpoint RDS.

Form 1 already submitted.

Edit: The only "other" on this weapon was the abysmal factory trigger. Literally the worst I have ever shot on any gun, ever. Promptly replaced it with a Geiselle SSA-E.

20wPipL.jpg

Last edited:
    I just scored a Daniel Defense MK18 a few weeks ago at my LGS. It came with the Law Tactical Folding Brace. Very happy with it so far. Pretty easy to put 5 rounds inside 2" at 100 with match grade ammo and an Aimpoint RDS.

Form 1 already submitted.

20wPipL.jpg
    They also make good stuff. Have been including them in my searches.

I'm not sure, but you might be able to find a gun shop with them in stock online.
    While I do like some of SIG's stuff, virtually nothing is interchangeable with a standard AR and SIG doesn't seem to like making parts easy to aquire. Otherwise really like a few things.

I will thanks! I had a dick response in here but missed the part where you gave legitimate advice. Edited to reflect that. And I apologize. Totally didn't get half of your response at first .

It's all good, I was just giving you shit because it seemed like things escalated rather quickly there.

Sig's parts problem is a problem. On the upside usually you don't need them, but they can be a dick to the average person. On the flip side the rep that comes to my lgs is cool and has made sure things are taken care of in a hurry, but usually it's a "send it back" fix.

If you can live with the 9mm, the scorpion is a nice little package. It's on my short list next time I have fun money to burn.

While I do like some of SIG's stuff, virtually nothing is interchangeable with a standard AR and SIG doesn't seem to like making parts easy to aquire. Otherwise really like a few things.

That is completely true on this system, however in my opinion it's worth it, because it gives you a few things that are very hard to get on a standard AR platform, (which is also what makes it incompatible).

1. length:
    This is the biggest plus.
    There is NO recoil tube sticking out the back.
    You can fire this with the stock folded or completely removed
    In AR pistols that shoot .223 or .300 blk that is pretty rare and saves you quite a bit of length.
    Most other "fully compatible" AR platform pistols that have a folding stock, require it to be opened and clipped into place before it can be fired.

2. Interchange barrels quickly.
    On this one you can swap barrels very quickly with essentially a Torx wrench and move between different lengths of barrels or .223 / .300 BLK
    This lets you also pack it down for storage in very small little bag if you needed to and quickly assemble it again.

3. Piston driven system setup to quickly adjust between suppressed and unsuppressed settings.

If you want a complete spare upper carrier group, it would be $450 which includes the bolt & firing pin.
    The barrels come integrated with the adjustable 2 position gas system and operating rod.

Maxim! I use them for all my pistol builds, real quality product! They do have nice super small pistols too!

I would not go 300blk during times like this. I had 300blk pre-covid and unless you wanna pay $1/rd, stick with .223.

As far as the SBR goes, do you frequently cross state lines? I get the whole process on that, but if you’re not planning on it or do it frequently, I don’t see why you’d need to drop that money on a separate build.

save that money for body armor, ammo, comms, food and the other essentials. Havung more guns is cool, but the other stuff is just as important too.

Reactions: Dragonscout25
    If I were in your position, I'd go LMT. One piece monolithic upper with the ability to switch between DI and piston as well as various barrel lengths and calibers. LMT's site shows that the MLC, CQB, and the LM8 uppers will all fit a 10.5" barrel. Top it off with a T2 and TAB carbine sling and you have something that can get work done.

The only other thing I'd consider if I couldn't get an LMT would be a DD MK18/M4V7 pistol with the law folder.

🍻

Reactions: dbransco
    The whole point of the pistol vs sbr is that I can ccw in my vehicle. No dice with sbr. That is if you care about laws.

I’ve been thinking the same thing and working out what I want for a few weeks now. The conclusion I keep coming back to is that I already keep my 16” AR in the truck when I need to and it fits fine, and I have zero intention of ever staying inside the vehicle if I need to use that weapon. I don’t plan to end up fighting from inside the box regardless of what long gun I have. If I need to shoot from the truck I’d use my ccw handgun, and then get out with the rifle.

A 11.5” AR with a red dot is still really tempting, and the Sig Rattler is an awesome little gun. ANR Designs makes a belt holster for the Rattler - you can concealed carry a full on .300BLK rifle under a coat. The thing is wild.

Sig Rattler for the win if you want a bag gun. With the side folder brace it's incredibly compact and efficient in a way a short 5.56 can't be. They are a proprietary system, but most people seem to be having good luck with them.

The whole point of the pistol vs sbr is that I can ccw in my vehicle. No dice with sbr. That is if you care about laws.

That is a real issue in some states that may appear at first glance to be partially free, a lot of them restrict rifles loaded in your vehicle.

Fortunately on my end Texas is the opposite and you can carry a rifle loaded and all in your vehicle legally and such.

The easiest route right now might be to just build a pistol lower yourself (assuming you're not in a state with stupid restrictions) and just getting the upper that you want. In the price range you listed, you have a lot of options.

Reactions: FishinGuns
    If I were in your position, I'd go LMT. One piece monolithic upper with the ability to switch between DI and piston as well as various barrel lengths and calibers. LMT's site shows that the MLC, CQB, and the LM8 uppers will all fit a 10.5" barrel. Top it off with a T2 and TAB carbine sling and you have something that can get work done.

The only other thing I'd consider if I couldn't get an LMT would be a DD MK18/M4V7 pistol with the law folder.

🍻
    M8541Reaper has it right.
    LMT MLC Pistol 1.jpg

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    For that budget, my personal choice would be a Sig Rattler Pistol.

For your purposes, I think something that has a form factor small enough to put in a normal looking backpack really increases its utility.
    I keep a lot of tools in my truck. I have the Milwaukee pack out system. They make a foam lined toolbox that I was thinking of using.

Built mine. Was going to do cheap Magpul handguard, but chickened out and went Centurion C4. Glad I did. 10.5” 5.56 Noveske FSP N4 barrel, G trigger, BRT insert in the FSP, and Gemtech carrier. Handy little shit. Have a 16” clone I plan to chop to 14.5” and P&W. They are my travel pieces.

Attachments

• 25FE3160-5EF1-4D30-9A8F-D3573E0DB261.jpeg
      25FE3160-5EF1-4D30-9A8F-D3573E0DB261.jpeg
      469.9 KB · Views: 41