• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors ATF waitig,waiting,waiting

riley5001

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2008
Ms.
I've been waiting for my suppressor since 12/08. Dealer sent form 4 back early April. WTF, does anybody know how long it's taking now. I have friend who's neighbor ordered a SBR early Feb and got in Apr. Why the F%$@ am I still waiting. We both live in the same state and area.

Re: ATF waitig,waiting,waiting

Something must be going on. I will be sending in paperwork next week and was told 3 months.

I would follow up and see what the holdup is. You might have left something out or.....Its possible its lost, they are human sort of..

you can call ATF and inquire, you will need your serial number for the item in question.the number is (304)616 4500.

The wait started in April, when your dealer sent in your F4, not when you ordered the suppressor.

Our examiner explained to us that in the first 4 months of 2009 they have had more f4 applications then all of 2008. Also it is getting close to July, this is the time of year when FFL/SOT's have to renew their license. Licensing gets priority.

Have you verified ATF has cashed your $200 payment ?

I know it's painful, back in the 90's when 6 months was the norm, my first transfer took 10 months and my second took 7 months.

Todd

ATF cashed my check on 2/11 and I finally got my suppressors on 5/26. Their scrawl on the top of the forms indicated they took 27 days to deal with them.

I ordered and paid for a different suppressor in November of '08 and the dealer hasn't even taken delivery of it yet.

Exotic toys take time.

last year I had one take 5 weeks and one take 10 months. If I have learned anything it is to ignore how long any other form takes because there is no explainable reason for the time spread I had.

Sent in 2 form 4s in mid Jan and took transfer in April. It was exactly 3 months. Sent another 3 form 4s in April so hopefully I will see them July or Aug.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The wait started in April, when your dealer sent in your F4, not when you ordered the suppressor. </div></div>
Yeah this much I do know. Just thought it would be here by now.
birddog762, Thanks for the number I will be checking into it.

I started 3 Form 4's at the end of dec(08). two of them got approved in 3 mons and the last one, I am still waiting on. So I am at 6 mos on that one. it came back after 3 mos to my dealer with a mistake or something, then they resubmitted it and now its been another 3 mos. still not even pending. ya it takes forever...

CJG

You'd think with all the tax stamp money they'd hire a couple more people to process the paperwork. >:-( I'm several months into the wait for both a SBR and suppressor right now.

I don't think anyone besides ATF can answer that, and you'd probably get different answers every time you call. My neighbor has ordered 3 over the last 12 months,first one was 14 weeks wait, he hasn't seen the the next 2 that were ordered the end of January.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakjakman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'd think with all the tax stamp money they'd hire a couple more people to process the paperwork. >:-( I'm several months into the wait for both a SBR and suppressor right now. </div></div>
That might be what a good business would do, but were talking the Gov't. ATF don't give a rats A$$ when you get it apparently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Riley501</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakjakman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'd think with all the tax stamp money they'd hire a couple more people to process the paperwork. >:-( I'm several months into the wait for both a SBR and suppressor right now. </div></div>
That might be what a good business would do, but were talking the Gov't. ATF don't give a rats A$$ when you get it apparently. </div></div>

Ya and just think, they want to get into the health care business. hahahah.

CJG

So how does somone get started with the process. I can you outline what I need to do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kiterme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long does it take these days? </div></div>

My dealer says it's now taking up to 6 months ...My last one took 60 days and I have been waiting for two more from Feb....

Jim

I have never had one take longer then 3 months from the time the check is cashed by them. Depending on wether you go by trust or independent also makes a bit of difference. An independent will have to go thru the FBI background check. A trust or LLC does not, its not a person therefore no pictures, fingerprints, or personal history.

I would say the Trust route cuts off a little more time, and by a little I mean a week or two.

Call the ATF, inquire about your serial number, politely! they work for us but being nice to them gets you further. When you call in you will speak to an operator that can look the number up and say pending or approved. If they dont give you the answer your looking for then ask to speak to the examiner that is going over your paperwork.

Good luck!

Update...

Package was mailed on 12 Jun, and the check was cashed on 03 Jul. It took a bit longer than I expected, but I'm just glad it's been received.

I sent my last form in second week December (about the 8th), certified mail. The certified mail part came back December 20; paperwork/stamp came through Feb 6. Just sent in another last week for my KAC, so we'll see this time. Oh, BTW since no local sheriffs sign off in my county I do mine through my business (S corp.), always enclose as much paperwork from State Charter #, Stocks of Incorporation, Annual Secretary of State Filing, S. Corp status. etc. Don't know if it helps but it doesn't seem to hurt.

My paperwork was sent in begining of April. Check cashed April 27th. It is now July 4th and I'm still waiting...from time check was cashed it has been 10 weeks now.....still no suppressor!

The number of Forms received by the ATF just about doubled in 2008 and it looks like it's gone up even more in 2009. Way more people buying suppressors and getting SBR's. The MG stuff is still about the same. The examiners are normally pretty good to deal with. They work just as hard as they can, but they haven't gotten any relief with the increase in numbers. They were doing awesome in 2007 and the beginning of 2008. Unfortunately with the increases they can't keep up. They've quoted 6 months on everything I've sent in since around December of last year. They've been coming in a bit quicker than that though, but not much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAZ_0157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My paperwork was sent in begining of April. Check cashed April 27th. It is now July 4th and I'm still waiting...from time check was cashed it has been 10 weeks now.....still no suppressor! </div></div>

relax. you've got a while to go still.

The amount of paperwork the ATF has to go thru on a daily basis is staggering. Best way to make it get to you quicker it forget about it and work on another project.

Just received a form back on a Suppressor for a local LEO. He sent it at the end of February and it arrived maybe a week ago.

I was absolutely floored today to find that my stamps had arrived at my dealer.

I sent three Form 4's in on 4/22/09 and they were approved/mailed on 6/29/09.....(june 28 is my bday so happy bday to me :))

I was all set for a much longer wait and was very pleasantly surprised...so for those waiting keep your fingers crossed and good luck.

Take care, Craig

Last year, my checks were getting cashed a few days after I mailed the paperwork. For the two apps I sent in so far this year, it was over a month from mailing to cashing. One is for a Gemtech integrally supressed 10/22 and the other is for a Benelli M1 Entry, so I am all antsy in the pantsy to get them and commense with the fun.