• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas V8 scratches AICS

Re: Atlas V8 scratches AICS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, sorry about that. (I will say our metal finishers are doing a bang up great job putting our parts through the Hard Anodize process as it's stripping that AI anodize!)

Seriously we can resolve this, easy.

But I wonder with the new AI chassis, (the AX is it?) the female spigot is gone, right? </div></div>

From what I've read there is only a Harris stud adapter or rail interface for bipods on the AX. However from my understanding AI doesn't plan on getting rid of the legacy line of products (AICS/AE/AW).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See that is the problem. What you see as damage, I see as normal wear. These are tools, not heirlooms. A carpenter doesn't bitch when his toolbelt scratches his best hammer. He just uses the hammer until it needs to be replaced.

Now I do understand where some of you guys are coming from. You spent a lot of cash on your rigs and you want them to look as new as possible for as long as possible. I am not rich. I sold a car to buy my AE MkII and Razor. I have a lot of time invested in that rifle as well. However it is still a tool and gets used as such. There is no other bipod that does what the Atlas does in the manner it does. If I had the choice of it not chewing up the skins, but still giving me the same functionality, then I would obviously prefer that. However since that isn't an option...fuck it. It's not going to wear through the chassis.

As mentioned, if it's a deal-breaker just fold the legs the other way or convert it to the QD/Rail setup. </div></div>

I some how missed this post earlier. Thanks for understanding where others might be coming from. I'm a mechanic, and I understand tools are tools and they get fucked up. But my guns are not tools for me. They are a hobby, a passion, and a investment. I like to try and keep them looking new if I can. Like you I like this bipod far more than any others and I will continue to use it on future build scratching or not.

I have a lot of respect for what you do btw. Aloha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But I wonder with the new AI chassis, (the AX is it?) the female spigot is gone, right? </div></div>

Correct. There is no spigot on the AX series.

cox380 watch the HK sling hooks. They put some nice gouges in my AI stock. I don't care though. Its precision battle rifle. I can depend on it.

AWnxf.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
AWnxf.jpg
</div></div>

Sums it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">am I really reading this?</div></div> yes and you enjoyed every minute of it.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cox380 watch the HK sling hooks. They put some nice gouges in my AI stock. I don't care though. Its precision battle rifle. I can depend on it. </div></div>

good point....

also dont get it wet....that whole rust......

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IOrkHJmKc-U"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IOrkHJmKc-U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

start about 1:29

Ah Triggermonkey in his crazy pre-daddy days!!

I really like the direction this thread has gone. Thanks to all the guys posting scope torture test videos, and the magazine cover...what a knee slapper! GAL!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0OnpkDWbeJs&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0OnpkDWbeJs&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Does anyone know this guy? Nobody, huh?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Scratches on an AI!?! Unacceptable!

Use your rifle! Why spend so much on something designed to be extremely durable then baby it for fear of scratches...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See that is the problem. What you see as damage, I see as normal wear. These are tools, not heirlooms. A carpenter doesn't bitch when his toolbelt scratches his best hammer. He just uses the hammer until it needs to be replaced.

Now I do understand where some of you guys are coming from. You spent a lot of cash on your rigs and you want them to look as new as possible for as long as possible. I am not rich. I sold a car to buy my AE MkII and Razor. I have a lot of time invested in that rifle as well. However it is still a tool and gets used as such. There is no other bipod that does what the Atlas does in the manner it does. If I had the choice of it not chewing up the skins, but still giving me the same functionality, then I would obviously prefer that. However since that isn't an option...fuck it. It's not going to wear through the chassis.

As mentioned, if it's a deal-breaker just fold the legs the other way or convert it to the QD/Rail setup. </div></div>

I some how missed this post earlier. Thanks for understanding where others might be coming from. <span style="font-weight: bold">I'm a mechanic, and I understand tools are tools and they get fucked up. But my guns are not tools for me. They are a hobby, a passion, and a investment. I like to try and keep them looking new if I can.</span> Like you I like this bipod far more than any others and I will continue to use it on future build scratching or not.

I have a lot of respect for what you do btw. Aloha</div></div>

That right there which I put in bold is how I feel about it. It is YOUR rifle and there's nothing wrong with being a little concerned about damage/scratches/gouges or whatever else that you feel is unacceptable or a little bothersome. YOU paid for it with YOUR money, not anyone else.

I'm sure I will catch flack and probably be ridiculed for this but in my opinion, your rifle isn't a "TOOL" unless you're a soldier, law enforcement, or in a role that requires you to use that rifle to protect yourself and/or those nearby. You're more than welcome to have your own opinion about the matter because as the adage goes, opinions are like assholes...everybody has one.

I have invested too much money into my setup to just bang it up carelessly and chalk it up to "those are beauty marks" or "it's a tool and meant to be used/abused". If you wanna bang your shit up and tell cool stories about how it happened, more power to you.

I'd rather keep my gear in top shape so if I'm forced to sell it (like I was this Fall, only to buy it back for more than I sold it for), it will bring a nice price. There's a HUGE difference in buying "used" and buying "pre-owned" when it comes to items such as firearms, optics, cars, etc. You wouldn't know by looking that my truck has nearly 150K on the odometer because it looks damn near as good as it did when it rolled off the assembly line in 2006. I take good care of my shit so when I need it for hard or heavy use, I know it's gonna take good care of me.

If ever a true "SHTF" scenario arises, the cosmetics of my gear won't matter, nor will the dings or scratches that I would likely put on it. Until that time comes (if it ever does), I'll take extra special care of my hard earned money/gear.

The same guys that are saying "no big deal" are the first ones that would bitch about the damage if the rifle was for sale.

And want you to knock off money because "it's beat up"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See that is the problem. What you see as damage, I see as normal wear. These are tools, not heirlooms. A carpenter doesn't bitch when his toolbelt scratches his best hammer. He just uses the hammer until it needs to be replaced.

I some how missed this post earlier. Thanks for understanding where others might be coming from. <span style="font-weight: bold">I'm a mechanic, and I understand tools are tools and they get fucked up. But my guns are not tools for me. They are a hobby, a passion, and a investment. I like to try and keep them looking new if I can.</span> Like you I like this bipod far more than any others and I will continue to use it on future build scratching or not.

I have a lot of respect for what you do btw. Aloha</div></div>

That right there which I put in bold is how I feel about it. It is YOUR rifle and there's nothing wrong with being a little concerned about damage/scratches/gouges or whatever else that you feel is unacceptable or a little bothersome. YOU paid for it with YOUR money, not anyone else.

I'm sure I will catch flack and probably be ridiculed for this but in my opinion, your rifle isn't a "TOOL" unless you're a soldier, law enforcement, or in a role that requires you to use that rifle to protect yourself and/or those nearby. You're more than welcome to have your own opinion about the matter because as the adage goes, opinions are like assholes...everybody has one.

I have invested too much money into my setup to just bang it up carelessly and chalk it up to "those are beauty marks" or "it's a tool and meant to be used/abused". If you wanna bang your shit up and tell cool stories about how it happened, more power to you.

I'd rather keep my gear in top shape so if I'm forced to sell it (like I was this Fall, only to buy it back for more than I sold it for), it will bring a nice price. There's a HUGE difference in buying "used" and buying "pre-owned" when it comes to items such as firearms, optics, cars, etc. You wouldn't know by looking that my truck has nearly 150K on the odometer because it looks damn near as good as it did when it rolled off the assembly line in 2006. I take good care of my shit so when I need it for hard or heavy use, I know it's gonna take good care of me.

If ever a true "SHTF" scenario arises, the cosmetics of my gear won't matter, nor will the dings or scratches that I would likely put on it. Until that time comes (if it ever does), I'll take extra special care of my hard earned money/gear. </div></div>

Thanks KillShot. Well put

cox380, I see you sold the stock, how much did those scratches cost you on the resale of it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cox380, I see you sold the stock, how much did those scratches cost you on the resale of it? </div></div>

I don't think It affected the sale much if at all. Sold for $900. Seems about right for a good condition used AISC?

this thread has made me realize something....i can no longer shoot my gun. All of the gunpowder residue and muzzle flash is burning the finish on my barrel and action!!!! I can NOT have a dirty/burnt/scratched rifle....and i believe old cocks380 would agree....a scratched gun is a worthless gun

Own two of the earlier V8's without the stepped collars and now guard them with my life. Not a fan of the additional step in the collar as I thought it was a solution looking for a problem.

As for scratches, I could care less as my rifles get used but don't want my gear unnecessarily damaging anything by design. Find an earlier V8 and be happy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this thread has made me realize something....i can no longer shoot my gun. All of the gunpowder residue and muzzle flash is burning the finish on my barrel and action!!!! I can NOT have a dirty/burnt/scratched rifle....and i believe old cocks380 would agree....a scratched gun is a worthless gun </div></div>

This post made me realize something...you're a douche

This thread was just a FYI for poeople. Did you even fuckin read it? I didn't ask for your dumb@ss opinion. So why don't you STFU you cornfed POS. Your gun is probably a cheap@ss POS from Walmart anyways!