• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Attaching Accessory Rails Barrett MRAD

[New Guy]

Ford Raptor *****-er
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2013
[Wherever GOV Wants Me]
Hey all,

Just curious I was wondering what would be the best approach to attaching the Accessory Rails to the MRAD? See I am concerned about the finish on my rifle and am certain that even if I follow the instructions to a T and apply carefully balanced 35 in/lbs. w/ LocTite the finish area near the T-25 screws will somehow get marred up.

I know I'm being anal but still, isn't there some sort of way to apply some type of protective coating/something/anything that would prevent the torque/pressure from the new Rail + screws from messing w/ the finish?

And well, I suppose people are busy but I made my intro in the new members section. Hope to learn a lot from everyone!

-Tom

..........Really? You know shooting the rifle will wear off the finish on the muzzle right?

I tend to overclean and then apply copious amounts of Turtle Wax to all my weapons.
A dirty and beat up rifle has no place in the world and should immediately turned in to a scrap company for prompt destruction.

While you are buying once and cryin for months.... You should just have it welded together and duct tape over the welds.

[New Guy];2869469 said:
Hmm... not sure whether any of the replies are being overly sarcastic or not but, Ok.

Thanks anyways guys.
I would not worry about it. The finish is Ceracote, and it is fairly durable, much more so than say blueing. The Ceracote surface will pick up a few marks over time, they become part of the character of the gun. What are you going to mount to the side rails? I only installed my bottom rail for the bipod.

Ok here is the help you asked for in the PM.

Buy a bone stock Savage or remington to see if this shooting style is something you enjoy. This way you can touch them without shitting yourself and cryin in the corner when you scratch it. Buy stuff you can actually afford and USE...... not stuff to make payments on and dry hump on the weekends before you slide it back into its $500 case for another week.

Ok here is the help you asked for in the PM.

Buy a bone stock Savage or remington to see if this shooting style is something you enjoy. This way you can touch them without shitting yourself and cryin in the corner when you scratch it. Buy stuff you can actually afford and USE...... not stuff to make payments on and dry hump on the weekends before you slide it back into its $500 case for another week.

^Look there's an inherent difference between neglectful and just using your stuff. I intend to use my rifle and put it through some good days on the range on Leave but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to do some preemptive maintenance. I care about my stuff and while I understand it seems hypocritical to worry on something so trivial as a few pock marks on a $5K cheap rifle, I'd like to ask you if you own a work truck? Probably not, and if so, what happens if you pull your side rails off and the interior step panels off? After being stationed up North w/ salt+humidity. Hmm let's see... rust!

What happens when rust has been there for a few years despite the complete exterior being perfectly fine after good consistent care, new cab welds! Oh joy! Because the f-ing rust spread and it all could have been prevented by just pulling the rails and panels off years ago and protected by some cheap $10 silicone grease and some amsoil lubricant. Great! well the welds and new cab section cost a good couple of $K

But I guess being worried about something small that someone previously told you don't worry about or not at all wouldn't come to bite ya. Hmm... good, good, you're a real swell help pal. I don't believe in a beater-anything what I started out with is what I keep. Just cause you can afford upgrading don't mean you beat the crap out of what you have right now.

Oh no he di-ent

I am just amazed by the responses I'm getting right now. Diverdon and Gentleman are the only ones that have provided legitimate help. All I needed was a non-sarcastic one-line answer, not some smart-@$$ retorts. If you could have just said, the finish will be marred regardless just enjoy the rifle, I'd have been just as contented rather than be as peeved as I am now.

I'm new here and I thought I could just ask a question or two if I couldn't find my answer with the search button. I did use the Search to make sure I didn't repeat an old question and yet I get blasted, for something so little as a signature too, you know what I hope most of you realize one day that Freedom Ain't Free and that yolo shit ain't real either, so what if junior enlisted and/or officers decide to put a little $$$ down on a nice car or a hobby. We deserve it! Its our right to pursue our interests on our limited free timeand while most everyone else sleeps easy at night sometimes we're getting into some shit that no-one will ever recognize us for.

Yeah, that's a rant but I've had a long ass year and 1 week of Leave and have waited for too damn long to finally buy this rifle I saved up for and only want to prevent it from getting trashed.

You won't ever be able to train with this rifle if your worried about this! every time I see a beat to shit scratched up rifle with spray paint all over it and dope card duct taped to the stock I always think that guys knows how to shoot his rifle. I see a safe gueen I just shake my head.

I bet a nice new maxi pad between the precious and the rail will achieve what you seek. That or cram the gun up yer shit chute it will stay pristine in there I'd think. Oh I know, drill a hole in the top of your gun safe and a hole in the door, tie a string to the trigger and run it out the door hole and shoot through the top hole, this way the precious never leaves the safe. Maybe install wheels on the safe for getting it to and fro the range?

New guy ask a question about his rifle, and how to use it and assemble it. That is not totally out of place on a forum about guns. Replies like these are.

holy fuckballs batman
I tend to overclean and then apply copious amounts of Turtle Wax to all my weapons.
A dirty and beat up rifle has no place in the world and should immediately turned in to a scrap company for prompt destruction.
While you are buying once and cryin for months.... You should just have it welded together and duct tape over the welds.
I bet a nice new maxi pad between the precious and the rail will achieve what you seek. That or cram the gun up yer shit chute it will stay pristine in there I'd think. Oh I know, drill a hole in the top of your gun safe and a hole in the door, tie a string to the trigger and run it out the door hole and shoot through the top hole, this way the precious never leaves the safe. Maybe install wheels on the safe for getting it to and fro the range?

pretty fair really, when its about marring a small area of a tactical rifle. this being snipers hide and all.

pretty fair really, when its about marring a small area of a tactical rifle. this being snipers hide and all.

I see what you mean, but you can kind of tell that New Guy is thinking of like a blued gun where if you scratch the blueing you open the steel to rust so you should take care to minimize the scratches if you want the gun to last a lifetime, and perhaps give it to your children. So it is not unreasonable to explain to him that while Ceracote may take on some marring it is going to take a lot more than he is talking about to get through to the steel.

It may also have something to do with him being an obvious troll, or a 3/4 tard.. I assure you he is one or the other.

I've had my MRAD for 1 1/2 years. Coating is durable and doesn't scratch easily. Only need to attach the bottom accessory rail to mount a bipod. Not a good rifle to start LR practice. Recommend a used Rem 5r 700 in 308 or Savage in 308 to learn how to shoot distance. Lessons early on or good instructional videos are also very beneficial. Good Luck

I've had my MRAD for 1 1/2 years. Coating is durable and doesn't scratch easily. Only need to attach the bottom accessory rail to mount a bipod. Not a good rifle to start LR practice. Recommend a used Rem 5r 700 in 308 or Savage in 308 to learn how to shoot distance. Lessons early on or good instructional videos are also very beneficial. Good Luck

In what way is it not a great rifle to learn distance shooting? Ammo too expensive, perhaps but if you roll your own you can get under a buck a shot. I think it is a pretty darn good rifle for any purpose that does not require me to carry it for long distances.

Ammo costs, but really doesn't start performing well until out to 500-1000 yards or more! Not too many places around to shoot like that regularly. Easily half MOA. I am just starting reloading now. Was using S&B 250gr BTHP and worked well at about $2.50 a round. I hear their brass does not hold up too well for repeated reloading. The new brass I buy for reloading is Lapua, but my Federal brass in other calibers reloads well. Just haven't started on the 338LM yet, since I've been working exclusively on 260 & 308. MRAD is a great weapon and for $2000 more you should be able to get the 308 barrel conversion the first part of this year, FINALLY!

In what way is it not a great rifle to learn distance shooting? Ammo too expensive, perhaps but if you roll your own you can get under a buck a shot. I think it is a pretty darn good rifle for any purpose that does not require me to carry it for long distances.

LOL ok......list how your reloading 338lm for under a buck a round.

After above derision. maybe not too much of a hi jack, but how is the MRAD? Been looking, but is it worth two TRG's, if one factors in a conversion kit at $1500? I have the TRG in .308 and was looking to add .300WM. AG

After above derision. maybe not too much of a hi jack, but how is the MRAD? Been looking, but is it worth two TRG's, if one factors in a conversion kit at $1500? I have the TRG in .308 and was looking to add .300WM. AG
I don't know if you can look at it like that. The MRAD is just so much bigger and heavier. Absent some real necessity I would not carry the full MRAD kit for five miles. But, if it's about making hits at a range or some where you can get with your pickup truck or four wheeler then the MRAD can be a lot of fun. I guess shooting the MRAD in any position other than bench or prone would feel like a bit of a stunt to me, where I can more easily see myself shooting a TRG off hand, kneeling or sitting.

Please consider that the above comment is from a MRAD owner who does shoot, but not from one of the top competitors that also post on this forum.