AutoTrickler V4

357Max

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 11, 2019
    Marylandistan
    I bought mine through CE as a complete kit so scale was configured. With all this drift talk I turned it on last night zeroed it after about 5 minute warm up. Checked it 3 hrs later and still sitting on zero. It’s just plugged into the power strip that came with the bench. Fluorescent light overhead on. It’s never wandered during up to 200 rd at a time.

Wonder if the board shielding in the bottom of the V4 is causing Scale issues on some of these???

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    So I just loaded 40rds of .223 load development using it with zero issues or drift. I removed the powder spray guard being sold here on the hide by a member. That and four days of sitting seem to have fixed the wild drifting issues. All the drifting issues actually.

db2000

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Mar 27, 2020
    That phenomenon been documented by many. The aluminum cup is the way to go.
    Has anyone offered an explanation. Maybe the shear weight? Seems odd but sounds like many have experienced it. I haven’t noticed but also don’t have the 419 to compare it to.

db2000

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Mar 27, 2020
    I bought mine through CE as a complete kit so scale was configured. With all this drift talk I turned it on last night zeroed it after about 5 minute warm up. Checked it 3 hrs later and still sitting on zero. It’s just plugged into the power strip that came with the bench. Fluorescent light overhead on. It’s never wandered during up to 200 rd at a time.

Wonder if the board shielding in the bottom of the V4 is causing Scale issues on some of these???
    I have the aftermarket shield and glass OG cup but haven’t experienced the drift that I’ve noticed. I’ll start paying more attention to it.

TheOfficeT-Rex

Primer Minister
    Minuteman
  • May 19, 2019
    I had some drift with the OG cup, but I now store old dryer sheets in the hopper/cup when not in use, and give the wind screens, platen, and cup a quick wipe before I cal/load. I see very little, if any drift now. I suspect any, I give a quick wipe and back at it.

BCX

5 Star PumpMaster
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Mar 18, 2018
    Canceled my preorder today. I load w N570/RL33 99% of the time so sticking w my current setup.

Reactions: secondofangle2

BuildingConceptsllc

Don't Start None, won't be none.
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Alabama
    Has anyone offered an explanation. Maybe the shear weight? Seems odd but sounds like many have experienced it. I haven’t noticed but also don’t have the 419 to compare it to.
    I think some have theories but I don't know if anyone really knows other than perhaps static, it's very well documented though.

Reactions: db2000

DarinC

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 7, 2018
    Either I’m not that well versed, or I’m an outlier, but mine hasn’t experienced any of the drift issues and runs as I had hoped.

I have one of the earliest ones, no mods, just running the advanced settings it throws as fast as I seat a bullet and get ready for the next one.

Obone

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 30, 2021
    North Georgia
    I just thinking that the V4 could be the source of the increased static. My concern being the spinning parts generating more static. The V3 had fewer and smaller spinning parts. That said, I'm certain that someone one on this forum is a better engineer than I and could help figure this out. I really want to see a solid evaluation. I am not certain that this is a problem. I am really just asking.

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    I just thinking that the V4 could be the source of the increased static. My concern being the spinning parts generating more static. The V3 had fewer and smaller spinning parts. That said, I'm certain that someone one on this forum is a better engineer than I and could help figure this out. I really want to see a solid evaluation. I am not certain that this is a problem. I am really just asking.
    I saw your earlier comment about this. I don't think this is the case. Wrong tree.

In my case I'm 90% it was the aftermarket powder spray guard

Cascade Hemi

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 9, 2019
    PNW
    I saw your earlier comment about this. I don't think this is the case. Wrong tree.

In my case I'm 90% it was the aftermarket powder spray guard

The acrylic clear tops sold by 419 and other companies have to be sprayed with Static Guard or they will cause drifting. I chased my tail around with this until I hose everything down with SG and the scale went back to normal. I keep a can next to the scale and spray everything down once a month or so.

ICU22250

Perfectionist
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    WV
    Does anyone have a link to where I can buy one of those nice thick granite blocks for my A&D scale to sit on, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm looking for one of the heavy ones..

6.5SH

Old Salt
    Minuteman
    Jul 24, 2020
    Does anyone have a link to where I can buy one of those nice thick granite blocks for my A&D scale to sit on, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm looking for one of the heavy ones..

An alternative is find someone in your area who does granite counter tops and get scrap cut outs from sinks.

HemiPowrd

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Feb 13, 2017

An alternative is find someone in your area who does granite counter tops and get scrap cut outs from sinks.
    Grizzly wants big bucks for shipping. If you have Amazon Prime you can get something similar for no shipping from them. I use the 12 x 9 x 3 for my V3 and it is just big enough.

Last edited:

vwpilot

Private
    Minuteman
    Dec 17, 2007
    www.jimsykes.com

This. I found a local granite supply place and they took me out back of their shop and there were tons of extra pieces to choose from. They sell the scraps for $5.

Reactions: 6.5SH

Jrb572

Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Dec 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I went to a local granite countertop place and they let me take what ever scrap I wanted.

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
    Minuteman
    My place in line finally came up! Yay!

Box showed up last week and my heart sank… UPS which is usually really good had done the goon squad on the box.

5655C7CB-BCF5-4B30-AFD2-3D8E511CE5D8.jpeg

Thank goodness that CE Products understands double and triple boxing and how to really pack for success! Perfect condition (as far as I can tell) and everything inside intact.

Now that I have my IKEA auto trickler… I am off to enroll at MIT to learn to put it together….

A49893FE-B097-47D4-8015-0FF3EC90ADFA.jpeg

In seriousness, the instructions are great. Going to take them to the house and read them tonite about 5 times before I even open the little baggies. Saturday is supposed to be 80 here. Air conditioning in reloading room tells me I’ll be putting a scale together.

Kudos to CE products for everything so far! It is also so refreshing to get instructions in The Kings English, and not translated in to some kind of mock Spanglish from Hindi by a dyslexic Azerbaijani poet.

Gives me hope for America. Even if they are Canadian!

Awesome!

Sirhr

secondofangle2

Online Training Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 3, 2017
    I used to have serious static issues with my scales. Not any more.
    Last thing I want to do is make my garage where I reload humidified. Even running a propane heater in the winter leads to rust in Utah of all places. I'd rather have it dry.

Reactions: reubenski

Im2bent

Old Salt
    Minuteman
  • Jun 30, 2020
    My place in line finally came up! Yay!

Box showed up last week and my heart sank… UPS which is usually really good had done the goon squad on the box.

View attachment 7897714

Thank goodness that CE Products understands double and triple boxing and how to really pack for success! Perfect condition (as far as I can tell) and everything inside intact.

Now that I have my IKEA auto trickler… I am off to enroll at MIT to learn to put it together….

View attachment 7897715

In seriousness, the instructions are great. Going to take them to the house and read them tonite about 5 times before I even open the little baggies. Saturday is supposed to be 80 here. Air conditioning in reloading room tells me I’ll be putting a scale together.

Kudos to CE products for everything so far! It is also so refreshing to get instructions in The Kings English, and not translated in to some kind of mock Spanglish from Hindi by a dyslexic Azerbaijani poet.

Gives me hope for America. Even if they are Canadian!

Awesome!

Sirhr
    Was it this guy?
    1656017773261.jpeg

pucker

Teufelhunden
    Minuteman
    Dec 8, 2011
    Eastern US
    Last thing I want to do is make my garage where I reload humidified. Even running a propane heater in the winter leads to rust in Utah of all places. I'd rather have it dry.
    Yeah, propane heaters make lots of water vapor… and that vapor then likes to condense on the coldest items (those slowest to heat up in the garage)…namely metal things.

Humidifiers and dehumidifiers should only be used to get/keep an appropriate amount of humidity.

I would think you could use one in places like Utah, to keep it ~40%. You won’t encourage rust or condensation… and below that is where the amount of static electricity starts increasing dramatically.

Just a thought.

Franko

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    May 19, 2018
    Southern California
    Just did a test to see if scale drift is solved/mitigated by grounding the scale. I took my v4 and plugged it in for about an hour. I then tested the following setups for drift:
    1. Glass measuring cup / scale grounded using the grounding bolt plugged into my house ground
    2. Glass measuring cup / scale not grounded
    3. Area419 metal cup / scale grounded
    4. Area419 metal cup / scale not grounded
    I put the measuring cup on the scale, zeroed it, and then checked for drift from zero every 5 minutes three times (so the total time the cup sat on the scale was 15 minutes). No activities were taking place while I was testing. The room was empty except for when I entered to do my measurements and then left.

I observed no drift. This leads me to conclude that drift is caused by actions taking place during the reloading process. I am now going to have to come up with a way to do more testing to see if I can narrow it down.

Obone

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 30, 2021
    North Georgia
    Please Try running the V4 and see if the spinning part generate the static electricity

I’m concerned that the V4 generates the static, transferring to the powder then the cup.

db2000

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Mar 27, 2020
    Just for clarification. Are we talking about drifting zero weight in between throwing charges and emptying the cup? I did notice mine returning to a weight that was 0.02 GN different a few times in loading 50 rds. 95% time it returned to exactly the same weight though. It seems to zero itself before throwing another charge so wasn’t sure if this was even relevant??

Thanks

Franko

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    May 19, 2018
    Southern California
    Just for clarification. Are we talking about drifting zero weight in between throwing charges and emptying the cup? I did notice mine returning to a weight that was 0.02 GN different a few times in loading 50 rds. 95% time it returned to exactly the same weight though. It seems to zero itself before throwing another charge so wasn’t sure if this was even relevant??

Thanks
    When I refer to a drift I mean that an empty measuring cup will go from showing 0 on the scale to showing that it weighs .002, .004, etc. as time passes. Another example would be that if I had a charge weighing 30gr in the cup on the machine and I left the room and came back 10 min later and it was showing 30.4g.

db2000

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Mar 27, 2020
    When I refer to a drift I mean that an empty measuring cup will go from showing 0 on the scale to showing that it weighs .002, .004, etc. as time passes. Another example would be that if I had a charge weighing 30gr in the cup on the machine and I left the room and came back 10 min later and it was showing 30.4g.
    I see. Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, mine doesn’t do that. I use aftermarket the plate cover and glass cup. It’s on a 2 x 10 wood base. 🤷‍♂️

357Max

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Sep 11, 2019
    Marylandistan
    I just finished for the night. V4 has been on for 4 hrs.

My V4 has no extra ground. Its just plugged into the strip that came with the bench. Surge strip I think. Using the glass cup that came with it, LED's on press near by, florescent was on (underside of bench shelf above V4).

Still dead on zero & giving 5.5 - 6.25 second drops of Lever @ +- 30.0 gr.

My house is a very stable 77 degrees with 55% humidity FWIW.

IMG_7039.jpg

Reactions: Franko

Raydee38

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 5, 2013
    NY
    I got my invoice and paid on the 14th of this month but no shipment info yet, is that normal or should I send then an email?

357Max

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Sep 11, 2019
    Marylandistan
    I have since tapped the small tube about 1/3 the way in with 1/4-20 tap. That was as far as it would reach.

I’ve also ordered an Acme 1/4-16 Tap and new .310 tubing. I’ll be making a new small feed tube Acme tapped all the way through with the current tip.

With larger grain powders like H4350/N555 I need to much tilt to get smooth feeding from the small tube. Then the big tube overthrows on small charge loads in mid 20-30gr range. The advanced settings are to fine to account for it hence why I’m making a new small tube that’ll auger coarse powder through.

My current settings are great for all fine ball powders, but of coarse this only works with my small tube configuration.

3999B3B7-6F03-4542-B82B-84BEA23220C5.png

47E75979-F3B6-4525-808E-3726AC402330.jpeg

Reactions: pfl338