• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Average hunter skills

Re: Average hunter skills

og come up to cody and ill show you all the bears and wolves you want to see we have had them in town along with lions.
I have one quistion though what dose this have to do with hunter skills

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know 4 outfitters who hunt the Wyoming range, Gros Ventre, The Winds and Big Sandy</div></div>

Really what is their outfit name?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the most basic study of published data on bears will inform you of their range requirements</div></div>

Really which data? I've worked with G&F and one of the lead investigators.
Tell me about your up to date data and factual information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NO they are not running into town stealing kids from strollers</div></div>

wtf? where did that come from?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">60 more on foot</div></div>

Going to town to pick up groceries and beer doesn't count.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spend about 90 days a year in the back country on a horse </div></div>

Really? You pack any?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: our gang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really? Do you see them from Idaho? Must be a helluva spotting scope......... You're safer in the mountains than in downtown Idaho Falls.</div></div>Yes I see grizz in Idaho.
I also see them in Wyoming as I live 3 min. from the border. I spend a great deal of time in the mountains of Wyoming.

I don't live in Idaho Falls.

Maybe the reason I see more bears is because I am in the mountains about 360 days a year!

360 days a year? when do you find the time to do 50 posts per month? And in case you missed it, Bears hibernate so the chances of seeing one in the mountains of Wyoming during 40% of the year is nil.
As for Weda, he has been well "outed" over on As Real As It Gets
site, so quit your BS everyone knows who and what you are. The folks I know are real outfitters and if he knew dick about the business, he would know who they are. If all else fails try the web or Bugle. Betcha you could find them. When you have no facts then attack the truth teller. Didn't work in Cody, won't work here.
What this had to do with average hunter skills is only that if self proclaimed experts are this full of BS why should expect anything of Joe 6 Pack ?

OG,

I know several but there are many more than 4.

Outted by guys who don't know the business nor a thing about it. Guessing at a situation they know even less about. Listening to a few who are further that the truth than you.

You've no answers to the questions. Might be cause you've no clue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bears hibernate so the chances of seeing one in the mountains of Wyoming during 40% of the year is nil.</div></div>

Here's a hint, bears don't always hibernate. But you knew that.

Keep trying, you'll eventually get something right.

I was out last weakend up the middle fork of mourning creek and seen a huge griz must have been sleep walking.

"360 days a year? when do you find the time to do 50 posts per month?"

I live across the street from the Tetons. I don't have to go far to be in the mountains.

"And in case you missed it, Bears hibernate so the chances of seeing one in the mountains of Wyoming during 40% of the year is nil."

No shit? Look at that, you might actually know something about bears. I never said I saw bears in winter.FYI- 5 yrs. ago I skinned by a grizzly in JANUARY on Buck Mountain in Grand Teton National Park. He had come out of his den and was 100ft. downslope from us during an inversion. Do I need to explain temperature inversion?

I said "I spend 360 days a year in the mountains." I spend about 100 days a year more than you do in the mountains of Wyoming.

So anyway back on topic....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've long posed the question -

"At what range does one stop being a hunter and becomes a shooter?"</div></div>

You are a hunter right up to the point your commited to taking the shot. Then you are a shooter.

Hows that for a definite possibility of an absolute maybe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: our gang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">another dickwad joins the "ignore" list.
Not only a BS artist but a poacher as well!</div></div> "skinned' as in on skis to climb a mountain in order to ski down it. not skin an animal you ignorant fool!

Make it up as you go along eh? this is a skinned bear douchebag
Ricks_skinned_bear_2005.jpg

and these are cross country ski techniques:
There are four core techniques:
Name Description
Herringbone This technique is used for climbing steep hills. A walking or running action with splayed skis and without any glide. The poles are planted alternately behind the skis. A distinctive herringbone pattern is left in the snow.
Diagonal stride An exaggerated running action with parallel skis and a glide on each stride. The poles are planted alternately on the opposite side to the kick. For experienced skiers this technique is used uphill. Less experienced skiers also employ the diagonal stride on the flat.
Double pole with kick Both poles are planted simultaneously to give a powerful thrust. As the poles swing forwards again a single leg kick is made. This technique is used when the skier is still moving too quickly to diagonal stride, but is having difficulty double poling (typically on slight uphills or at the bottom of a long hill, just before switching to diagonal stride).
Double pole As above but without the kick. During some long races, in reasonably flat terrain, competitors double pole for the majority of the course (an example of this is the Swedish Vasaloppet).

On downhill slopes a tucked position (hocke, from the German word) is assumed, in a similar manner to downhill skiing.

NOTE! NOTHING ABOUT "SKINNING". This is like an ass kicking contest against a one legged man. Better call up north and get some help.

NOTE Find some new sources for your information. Back in the old days they used klister. Today we use skins.
Skinning up a mountain ridge on a splitboard
P1230012.jpg

Skinning up on Approach skis w/ snowboard on back
SDC10051.jpg

Don't worry he doesn't ignore you for long .. he can't LOL! He obviously looks up stuff via google as he goes along. Funny how he then acts as if he knew all along.

I mean just look at this comment....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I've seen a lot more Elk killed in WY, MT & ID than the total taken in PA since hunting was restarted</div></div>

I'd like to know just how many Elk he thinks he seen killed.

do the math dickbrain

This post and signature line are classic....................LOL

When I roll down the window and use the mirror as a rest, I can place accurate shots for some distance.
grin.gif
For shots exceeding 300 yards, I use the hood of the truck as a rest.

Just a few weeks ago my shooting buddy hit a deer at 675 yards, measured with a Lieca 1200 using a dpms .308 with a Zeiss scope using the rapid Z reticle. He was shooting prone off the bipod.

Yeah we have a lot of truck hunters (felons) here too and I see a lot of dead Antelope, Deer and Elk rotting where they died after being "hit" buy a long range wounder. Maybe if you got out of/off of the truck and your buddy learned to stalk you could both have a real hunting experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-SKIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little more back on topic -

I've long posed the question -

"At what range does one stop being a hunter and becomes a shooter?" </div></div>You are a hunter all the way,down to the last bit of hunted meat devoured, A hunter, not a shooter ,shooting is a mere part of hunting. My definfion of a shooter is a trigger puller of sorts ofpaper,rocks, hard targets,a sniper itself is in a world of its own!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: our gang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do the math dickbrain </div></div>

Now, now. I'm offended at your language.

1. Bullshit
2. I agree, your comment and sig line are classic.

I hear confusion and reality often collide at your age.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: our gang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL! Hope the guys in front have industrial strength earplugs and hard hats! </div></div>I think they are going to be in a world of HURT anyway...,from that HOT BRASS dropping on them,LOL!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about average, but this year I was hunting w/ a guy from work and he wouldn't take a shot at just under 200yds, so I dropped 2 of the 3 whitetail in that field and filled my tags in less than 5 seconds. </div></div>

lol, my buddy tends to get mad at me when i "help" him shoot his deer too! I dont understand people not feeling comfortable enough to shoot 200yds, i mean dang, go practice. I kinda did the same thing this year whitetail hunting this year in tx. buck was 425yds (took him first) and a doe was right at 200yds, two shots, two dead whitetails. lol

He's in his comfort " BOX'. Best thing is to invite him to a plinking shooting session,put some water jugs or/and ballons up at 100 yards,two hundred yards,three hundred yards,don't say nothing ,just start shooting causally,with many breaks and bullshit sessions. He will come out of it!!!

Excellent advice. My friend was an excellent clays shot but had done little rifle hunting. We did a lot of unknown distance stalk and shoot at targets I put out in the sage. By the time season came around he was ready. The result was:

DSCN1082.jpg

stalk and shoot?

You practiced stalking a inanimate object? Ummmm.... ok, did ya ever get busted?

Much easier way to replicate UKD targets.

cut dry wall into 12" squares and hang them at various distances.

Shoot from field positions. Once hit they "puff white smoke." Then, upon inspection you also see where you hit in relation to your POA. Simple masking tape can be placed over the hole, move targets again and repeat.

Stalking a paper target.. that's funny....

Dickbrain, the stalk part was to teach him to use camo, wind and cover. If you ever shot anything but your mouth you might know something about hunting.
But then again living in the Peoples Republic of Kaaalorrrado it's understandable.
Saw your picture in the Cody P.O. LOL!

I dont wish to offend anyone but shooting from a truck is really not hunting, you got to be really lazy to do that ( In sweden its not even legal). Whats the fun with that? Beeing out there in the wild nature is a big part of hunting, at least for me.

I can only say that Im impressed by the long shots you guys are capable of, but I prefer sticking to a 300 y limit, getting close is the kick for me. Often shot at maybe 150 y, at max.
Punchin paper att 500y+ is great, but nothing I would do on a living animal. But I realise lots of you guys know how to make those long range kills, I and If you nail it every time, why not.

once a new yorker always a new yorker. by the way, nice fawn antelope! where im from we let them get older than 6 monthes before we shoot them.

Those mature antelopes aren't so easy to sneak up on though. They require marksmanship abilities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">once a new yorker always a new yorker</div></div>

How true... LOL! One of my best friends if originally from NY... when he was green he killed one even smaller... if that's even possible.

glove box goat! if it was in the back of the pickup someone might see it!LOL!

I don't know fellas. I'm originally a NY'r. I haven't shot an animal in my life that would be deemed immature. Had more than a few opportunities this past season and let them all go. I have an empty freezer and a clear conscience.
In fact a buddy who is a Montana native told me I was "too ethical to be a successful hunter here in Idaho."

Im gonna get had for this but ydobon is nobody? Probably shouldnt push submit but what the hell its only the internet.

I think this thread HAD potential at one point
wink.gif

Just a dude from WY, the middle of nowhere ....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this thread HAD potential at one point
wink.gif

</div></div> Started out strong. Then OG rode into town. WTF?

Ya know I have never known someone as old as OG to post like he does in an open forum. I guess education level has something to do with it. Without seeing his picture, I would expect his postings to be coming from someone who hasnt reached puberty.

Did you buy that flintlock when it was new?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My postings reflect 66 years of living all over the world and now not having to tolerate uneducated, inexperienced, functional illerterate boomers and X gen dweebs who have never had a tough moment in their meaningless lives.</div></div>

How would you know...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: our gang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guess you would know as you spend so much time hanging around grade schools. </div></div>

Are you fucking talking to ME, cochise? I don't recall even addressing you in my initial post and now you want to crawl up my ass?

There has been some shit said on BOTH sides of the 'argument' here (if you even want to call it that) that has been flat out silly.

I guess you just ASSumed I was talking about YOU eh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: our gang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No but you probably owe more on your fake charger than it cost...and it is appreciating. It also has a nice sword bayonet that I could suggest a place for you to put it.
714_Full_Stock_Bay_Web_500.gif

As for posting habits... give me a break, do a search on NB if you want to learn some new words.
My postings reflect 66 years of living all over the world and now not having to tolerate uneducated, inexperienced, functional illerterate boomers and X gen dweebs who have never had a tough moment in their meaningless lives. BUT not to worry you may just get a chance when Iran get a few dozen nukes to play with. </div></div>

Stand down you old fart... You have no idea who you are addressing. I suggest you find out who it is you are talkin' shit to prior to engaging your suck.