• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Average Usable elevation on PST 5-25

D-minus-a2

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2020
Hi guys, newbie here. I have recently zeroed my pst 5-25 on my tikka ctr and found that I have about 10.5 mils left of usable elevation. I was honestly a little surprised that it took 15 mils to zero. Is this normal? The ctr has a zero Moa base. Given 25 total mils of elevation and dividing by 2 gives me 12.5 mils with an additional 2.5 used for 100 yard zero. So I am guessing that is reasonable. I am just wanting some reassurance that this is normal and what I should expect.

Additional thoughts
I am considering adding 20 moa base to the ctr. I have heard it’s a real pain to remove factor base which makes me hesitant. It’s only a 20” barrel and I have seen some guys on here say that tikka barrels have a tendency to run slow. I want to get it chronoed at some point but don’t know anyone with a chronograph at the moment. What I can tell you is I got on at 500 on 10” plate with 3.7 mils using the Sellier and Bellot 140 grain. Is it really that difficult to replace CTR base? I am wondering if anyone can speculate how far I can reach out before I run out of elevation. I fully understand that is very difficult/impossible to do without knowing what velocity I am getting. I plan on getting velocity data on the 140 S&B I use for plinking as well as the 140 ELD match and will obviously be able to through it in a Ballistic calculator then.

I am new to sniper hide and long range shooting in general. I know there are many guys on here with tons of knowledge. Any feedback, insight or thoughts are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
When it comes to removing a CTR rail a good quality driver tip that has a good tight fit and heat is your friend.
People use all kinds of heat sources...Clothes irons,Heat guns, Soldering irons...etc.
I use a micro butane torch so I can concentrate the heat to one screw head at a time.
After I add a little heat to the head I insert the driver tip and put pressure on the head while keeping the flame pointed at the head.
Just a slow deliberate turn till it breaks free.
Once you get the screws out evenly heat the whole rail and either use the mirage band screw or a flat thin blade of some type to lift the front edge so you can get under it to slowly start lifting the whole rail.
I found acetone and alot of scrubbing worked the best for me to remove the epoxy they use.....

Luck of the draw really. If you have 25mils total then you actually have 5mil more than the specs sheet.
I wouldn't worry about the scope being broken.

10.5mil should be enough to get to 1000-1100meters.
Just shoot until it becomes a problem and then go about adding a canted rail.

Sounds about right with a 0 MOA base.you could buy a base with 20 MOA built into it like the MPA BA mount or trot replace the rail

Replace the rail with a 25 or 30 MOA. I have a Gen II PST and I have 19 mills of elevation with a 25 yard zero.

NEVERMIND I’m drunk. I swore I read tikka .22. Carry on.

Reactions: KarubaGold