AXSR Extraction / Stiff Bolt Unlock Question

wisey113

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2014
Denver, CO
I recently went to zero a new 6.5 Proof Barrel on my AXSR. Unlocking the bolt and extracting the spent case was not easy. In fact it required me to come up from behind the rifle multiple times just to get enough force to get the bolt to unlock and the case to extract.

If I cycle snap caps, dummy rounds, or the same spent brass through the action without pulling the trigger, it's smooth as butter. However once the trigger is pulled, extracting the casing and unlocking the bolt becomes significantly harder. I'm talking going from barely having to apply force to the bolt handle, to sometimes having to give it a light tap to get it to unlock.

Any ideas what may be causing this? Thanks in advance.

SkyScrapin

Strictly Offensive Kit
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Jan 31, 2010
Dallas, TX
strictlyoffensivekit.com
Only happens on a spent round?

Could be a burr or over pressure. See if you can chamber a spent round and then extract it. Then see if you can do the same, but this time pulling the trigger on a fired casing.

wisey113

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2014
Denver, CO
Only happens on a spent round?

Could be a burr or over pressure. See if you can chamber a spent round and then extract it. Then see if you can do the same, but this time pulling the trigger on a fired casing.
I used the same spent casings I was having the issues with. Without pulling the trigger, no issues, pulling the trigger, very stiff to unlock.

BuLLet

I need a new gun!
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2004
USA
Strip the bolt and clean it.

How many rounds have you fired, or dry fired this rifle?

Rhed

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2018
Is this reloads or over the shelve ammo?

hk401

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2012
Jackson WY
Samething. Mine cleaned and after 20 rounds 300prc factory ammo and the bolt bolt stuck pretty hard.

BuLLet

I need a new gun!
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2004
USA
My two AXSR's and ASR don't exhibit difficultly opening after dry firing, or live firing.

I'm guessing it could just still be braking in. Has the force changed since first getting the rifle?

60 Rounds of Hornady Factory Match so far.

wisey113

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2014
Denver, CO
My two AXSR's and ASR don't exhibit difficultly opening after dry firing, or live firing.

I'm guessing it could just still be braking in. Has the force changed since first getting the rifle?
These are the first 60 rounds I've put through it. I'm going to work up some loads, shoot it some more and see if it just needs time to break in like you said.

BuLLet

I need a new gun!
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2004
USA
Dry fire it some more....

These are the first 60 rounds I've put through it. I'm going to work up some loads, shoot it some more and see if it just needs time to break in like you said.

spife7980

Luchador
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
What about just an empty chamber?
Is it actually something chamber related or is it trigger related.

trophyhunter

Gun Father
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2011
    Brownsville, Tx
    Nope. This is my first one.
    Reason I ask is cause AI’s aren’t the easiest to lift as compared to some other actions. I don’t know about having to use force to lift the bolt but it will be a different force then a 700 action cause of the 60*.

When you dry fire, with nothing in chamber, snaps, empty case, nada, is it “hard” to lift?

For smooth operation of opening an AI bolt, besides it increasing your sex drive, I would use my thumb as leverage to open. Ex: after fire, place your thumb on top flat behind action on chassis, with all your fingers extended from just letting go of grip, swing your fingers up, contact bolt, while uisng your thumb as leverage, and lift the knob pulling back.

Most tend to remove hand from grip/chassis thus gripping the knob with a closed fist resulting in lifting entire rifle to open the bolt.