• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AXSR Extraction / Stiff Bolt Unlock Question

AINA is typically reported as having excellent CS. They should be able to find the conclusive issue and solve it or at least explain how the Proof barrel is out of spec or causing an issue if that is the case. Or don't bother with that and I'll give you $99.99 for the junk AXSR :cool:
CS has been lackluster so far, they said they will get to it after they all get back from shot show. When I called in and tried to talk to someone they would only let me talk to receptionist. If you think their so great I’ll cut you a deal right now $8k and I’ll put it in a box as is and you can deal with AI CS for yourself.

At this point, I am positive it's something going on with the barrels. Me and a friend have new Proof barrels on our rifles and they do the exact same thing. Both rifles will not do it on any other barrel we run on the rifle, only the Proofs are doing it. Not sure if the barrel is too tight or the chamber is too tight that is causing this. Called Proof and they were no help.

With or without firing a round? Does it do it just dry firing?

CS has been lackluster so far, they said they will get to it after they all get back from shot show. When I called in and tried to talk to someone they would only let me talk to receptionist. If you think their so great I’ll cut you a deal right now $8k and I’ll put it in a box as is and you can deal with AI CS for yourself.
What color is it?

With EO selling a demo rifle for $8k I'd pass on that, GL with AINA :cool:

It seems odd that the proof barrel would be the issue. My guess would be FP or bolt body or some sort of bad combo of those 2 parts fitting together. If the bolt closes on the barrel then the bolt should be locked in place when firing or dry firing and the fitment of the bolt and barrel shouldn't be at play?? One test would be to check if the bolt is hard to lift with no barrel installed or the barrel backed off the shoulder by a turn or so.

With EO selling a demo rifle for $8k I'd pass on that, GL with AINA :cool:

It seems odd that the proof barrel would be the issue. My guess would be FP or bolt body or some sort of bad combo of those 2 parts fitting together. If the bolt closes on the barrel then the bolt should be locked in place when firing or dry firing and the fitment of the bolt and barrel shouldn't be at play?? One test would be to check if the bolt is hard to lift with no barrel installed or the barrel backed off the shoulder by a turn or so.
I wouldn’t give me $8k either 😂 Mine is stiff with the barrel out. It’s just a bolt to FP combo that’s bad. I’m sure AI will fix it im just salty that I spent $9k and already gotta strip it down and send it in “for a few weeks”, can you blame me?!? It sounds the other 3 are definitely a barrel issue.

Reactions: TylerN
My savage 110 hasn’t had this issue
3D844CAF-E715-435E-98C4-06388D244857.gif

😂😂😂 my point exactly!!! I cracked the stock on a Ruger M77 LRT bc of a faulty QD cup one time and they overnighted both ways and was doorstep to doorstep in under 7 days not one cent out of my pocket!!! Not ehhh shops closed next week sorry about your luck.
I’m sure they will fix your issue. And once they do you’re good to go. But I can definitely understand the frustration.

I had issues with a brand new Serbu a few years ago. I rank that experience right up there with throwing a cinder block off a boat with a lasso wrapped around my pecker….

That said I own a couple AI (AT/AXMC) and absolutely love those rifles. I have 3 bolts and several barrels for the MC

When you get it figured out please let us know

Reactions: Swiftt
I’m sure they will fix your issue. And once they do you’re good to go. But I can definitely understand the frustration.

I had issues with a brand new Serbu a few years ago. I rank that experience right up there with throwing a cinder block off a boat with a lasso wrapped around my pecker….

That said I own a couple AI (AT/AXMC) and absolutely love those rifles. I have 3 bolts and several barrels for the MC

When you get it figured out please let us know
I definitely will let y”all know, I’m keeping it for 2 weeks as it’s still usable and I’ll send it it to them when they are available. I’m guessing FP assembly and we are good.

Reactions: hafejd30
The rifle is brand new, always been a bit stiff but I figured it was settling in. It got to the point Sunday when I was shooting a string of shots that it almost wouldn’t open. Box ammo, I then tried just dry fire and it was the same. My friend next to me also had a brand new AXSR and I then tried his and realized mine has been way to stiff from the word go, I had been cleaning and oiling it thinking it was breaking in and meanwhile he hasn’t touched his and it’s smooth as butter. After swapping his FP to mine it runs fine, in my bolt, in my rifle. I did take the action off mine to adjust the trigger and had to remove a trigger screw to get to the first stage length of pull. If that affected it in such a way that it has a stiff bolt lift I got no time for a “Mercedes rifle” in my life and I’ll get AI to fix it and I’ll sell it. I doubt this is the case bc it runs fine with my friends FP assembly. As far as firing pin protrusion I haven’t measured but I don’t think there is any, no noticeable shiny spots either. Although heavy oiling of the pin assembly and bolt ramp helps it significantly. Something is just a bit tight.
I’m gonna say something in your firing pin is binding. It could be the front of the pin is contacting the inside bolt head, either adjustment or a burr somewhere.

I’m gonna assume your buddies FP assembly was same as yours, small for small or large pin and large pin?
If you measure protrusion on bolt face you can see if it’s that. But a burr might be in the wrong spot, hard to see.

Or inside the firing pin shroud there are a few pieces that control the safety, one could have a burr.

It’s not normal, and my AI’s are anything but Mercedes, more of a dumptruck.

I’m gonna say something in your firing pin is binding. It could be the front of the pin is contacting the inside bolt head, either adjustment or a burr somewhere.

I’m gonna assume your buddies FP assembly was same as yours, small for small or large pin and large pin?
If you measure protrusion on bolt face you can see if it’s that. But a burr might be in the wrong spot, hard to see.

Or inside the firing pin shroud there are a few pieces that control the safety, one could have a burr.

It’s not normal, and my AI’s are anything but Mercedes, more of a dumptruck.
As far as I know AXSR only has one pin size. At any rate our rifles are identical. And dump truck is exactly what I want and expected lol this is my first experience with any AI product, you muster up the cash and finally do it and I gotta strip and send it in 3 weeks later, burns your ass a bit.

At this point, I am positive it's something going on with the barrels. Me and a friend have new Proof barrels on our rifles and they do the exact same thing. Both rifles will not do it on any other barrel we run on the rifle, only the Proofs are doing it. Not sure if the barrel is too tight or the chamber is too tight that is causing this. Called Proof and they were no help.

So measure the barrel from shoulder to end of threads and compare to original barrel. Is the proof barrel longer?

So measure the barrel from shoulder to end of threads and compare to original barrel. Is the proof barrel longer?
It's not that the tennon is longer or not. I can get a unfired case to close and extract no problem. Only when you fire the case it gets really hard to lift the bolt. This is on multiple rifles using multiple Proof barrels chambered by Proof. And the loads are not that hot either.

It's not that the tennon is longer or not. I can get a unfired case to close and extract no problem. Only when you fire the case it gets really hard to lift the bolt. This is on multiple rifles using multiple Proof barrels chambered by Proof. And the loads are not that hot either.

Are the chambers rough and do have any imperfections you can see with a bore scope? Have you measured fired vs unfired brass diameter at the .200 line? You can also have an overly tight chamber (not a good thing) especially near the case head that causes heavy bolt lift / hard extraction. Also what brass are you using? Is it new or ?

One thing you can do is heavily "polish" the chamber and open up the breech area of the chamber by .001ish or so. A polish will lead to easier extraction on its own, but also opening up the chamber a tad near the the base works really well too. As reamers get used up and sharpened the chambers will keep getting tighter, and eventually you can get some tolerance stacking issues with brass, chamber, and dies that lead to this problem. I'm not saying that is for sure the issue, but I've had a couple of barrels that were "fixed" by doing this.

Are the chambers rough and do have any imperfections you can see with a bore scope? Have you measured fired vs unfired brass diameter at the .200 line? You can also have an overly tight chamber (not a good thing) especially near the case head that causes heavy bolt lift / hard extraction. Also what brass are you using? Is it new or ?

One thing you can do is heavily "polish" the chamber and open up the breech area of the chamber by .001ish or so. A polish will lead to easier extraction on its own, but also opening up the chamber a tad near the the base works really well too. As reamers get used up and sharpened the chambers will keep getting tighter, and eventually you can get some tolerance stacking issues with brass, chamber, and dies that lead to this problem. I'm not saying that is for sure the issue, but I've had a couple of barrels that were "fixed" by doing this.
Chambers look fine when I checked, it's not polished to a mirror nor is it rough. I'm using Lapua brass and its only been bumped .002. I am thinking it's chambered way too tight. Currently have one of the barrels over at a well known gunsmith to extend out the freebore to help out with the pressure issues.

Chambers look fine when I checked, it's not polished to a mirror nor is it rough. I'm using Lapua brass and its only been bumped .002. I am thinking it's chambered way too tight. Currently have one of the barrels over at a well known gunsmith to extend out the freebore to help out with the pressure issues.

You may ask him measure the diameter of the chamber at the base just to see. May be worth opening it up a hair if it's on the small side.

Im having this exact same issue. I am running a proof 6.5 crd barrel. I swapped it out at the range to my ai 300 norma barrel and didnt have the same issues while extracting spent cases. It may have something to do with tolerances in the barrels. This is with an axsr. I had an axmc that had two factory barrels and had no issues with it. I also noticed when switching barrels in the axsr the re zero on the scope was off a bit. With my axmc it was really close on the caliber swap. Did you ever figure out what was up with that gun or did you sell it?

I put it in the safe and haven’t touched it since. Trying to let the frustration of it fade off, or lessen the pain if I do sell it lol

AXSR with my 300PRC and 308 barrels (both AI)... zero issues with loading & unloading (live or fired) when shooting Hornady 225eldm or FGMM GM308M2/GM762M2).

...However...
Proof CF 6.5cm 24" Sendero with Hornady TAP 147s... my first 200rd lot, zero issues. These were the first 200 through the barrel. My second lot of the same stuff... Fuck me. Some would chamber and load like butter (to the point where I had to press check to ensure a round actually loaded lol) but others would require me to hydraulic press the bolt closed or really rip it to open. I just ordered some other types of 6.5CM so I'm going to see if it was just that lot of TAP because the prior lot didn't give me these issues and my 308 & 300PRC barrel don't do it. Really made me regret getting the Proof CF instead of the AI 6.5CM in my initial order. Plus I find myself really having to work to get it to group with the TAP 147s whereas my 308 just eats anything and groups really well.

As for Delray's comment about shift... I got lucky because my 308, 6.5cm, and 300PRC AI barrels return right to zero or close enough o where I cant tell if it is me being a fuckwit.

Did you ever send it in?
No, I literally put it up and haven’t touched or shot it since. I will say that AI contacted me again asking how it was doing and offered to look at it again. I’ll probably get some reloads done in the next few weeks and shoot it some more, I’ve cooled off a bit 😂