• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater [b]HOGS GONE WILD[/b]

ironworker21

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2010
Coast to Coast
Maybe some of you guys from Texas can shed a little light on this, as I grew up in Nebraska, and we really don't have much of a hog infestation here.

I was watching this tonight on the Discovery channel, and something really made me scratch my head. These hog hunters were catching these pigs on 'private' land, with dogs, and knives, no visual firearms. I mean they had some pretty good sized one's and on every instance, atleast, the guys in Florida and Texas, had to resort to stickin the hog to gain control of the situation, and also putting there pups in major harms way, cuttin' them up pretty good.

Now, these weren't just billy bob, and jimbo' from up in the hills, these were actual business's, trappers, what have you, I don't know, but instead of fuckin' up your dog, possibly yourself, by trying to knife it to death, if you had the spotlight on it, and it was no more a couple hundred yards away, wouldn't you want to just put the dot on it and be done, I mean seriously?

Maybe things are a bit more strict down there....I don't know

Re: HOGS GONE WILD

My Wife is a Vet tech and was skimming through the animal channels when I heard her say that thing is huge. I looked up to see a Great Dane jumping a Pig taller than it was. They then announced the Pig was to big and unruly to hog tie and the gal said she had to stick it in the Heart and I was WTF why not shoot it. Then the Dane had a belly wound and then they give the dog water and I really was WTF. They then decided it was a fence wound.

I want to come to Texas!! Those looked real tasty. They say they are in MI but I have yet to talk to anyone who has seen one.

I have a couple in the freezer right now. Including this lil guy
smile.gif

photo3-13.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a couple in the freezer right now. Including this lil guy
smile.gif

photo3-13.jpg
</div></div>

I bet that would be good with some bread..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a couple in the freezer right now. Including this lil guy
smile.gif

photo3-13.jpg
</div></div>

I bet that would be good with some bread.. </div></div>

+1, and add a little bbq sauce

The show is kinda funny, especially to a Texas hog hunter.

These idiots get injured, their dogs get injured; I've killed more hogs in one hunt than they capture in one show.

The show goes into detail regarding how destructive they are, but seldom shows the hogs get put down or shows pig blood (but seems to be OK with human blood and dog blood.)

The argument for hog death is the same as the argument for rapists and murderers and pedophiles: put one in the ground and one in rehab - and you can only guarantee one of the 2 will not offend again.

This is one day hunting deer (and shooting hogs of opportunity) in Texas.

IMAG0048.jpg

When you guys in TX are playing whack a pig, do most hunters keep the meat or donate to charity?

+1 Rancid.

I had to turn the damn show off. It was seriously just a joke. Not the guys in Hawaii mind you, I was kinda impressed with the way they set up the hog trap, but the two morons with the dogs...

If they got a business doing that, then it's about to tank.

I've not seen the show, but every one said that it was pretty lame. Hogs are all over the place in Texas, but they are smart lil critters.

A sow of 100 pounds ore less is good eating, everything else is scrap. The best are 20-pound piglets: gut them, dip in boiling water (gets ticks, fleas, and hair off), then smoke. Awesome.

The guy in Hawaii last week shot a 150+ pounder with a bow and followed it, on his hands and knees, in the dark, into heavy underbrush tunnels. If the urban dictionary has a definition for straight-up idiot, it would be that picture. He crawls along, extolling how dangerous they are, and eventually finds it dead. Had it not been dead or there been other hogs about, he'd have lost that fight.

The alabama red necks were most entertaining, they knew they were coon-ass and just embraced it.

If population control can only be achieved by eliminating 7 of every 10 hogs every 6 months, these idiots on the show are doing it very wrong.

In Texas, they are so destructive, most land owners say kill them if you can, wound them if you must, just make them go away, dead or alive. They are very, very destructive.

(And, for the uninitiated, they are disgusting creatures, often infested with fleas and ticks. And "infested" is an understatement.)

Around here the landowners say "When you find them, don't just shoot one, shoot them all" thats my kinda hunting. I keep and eat all I kill, can't beat them smoked.

I am trying to get a Texas hog hunt planned for April right now. I can't wait.

they are a big problem on my gfs family land. they have about 6k acres of pine trees and green fields. hogs can go through a field in a couple of days and make it look like a 16" plow was drug through it.

They reason we stick them with knives here in SC is for dog safety. It is very easy to accidentally shoot a dog or have a pass through that strikes the dog too. (Had one get killed a couple of weeks ago from a 45-70 that passed completely through a 250 lb. sow and killed the dog. Ill advised shot, before the catch dogs could get there)

The reason we hunt with dogs is multiple. We have a bad hog problem and they can get out of control very quickly. They can destroy cropland and food plots in a hurry. Not to mention wiping out your deer cornpiles. We kill as many as we can while deer hunting from stands. But after a good amount of pressure, they become very nocturnal, much like deer. (they are way smarter than people give them credit for) Therefore, in order to kill as many as possible, we loose the hounds. There is no way you can kill enough to totally eradicate them (a sow is ready to breed at 6 months of age and averages 5 litters every 2 years, with 8-12 pigs per litter, you do the math). However, pressuring them with dogs will make them move to an area, off of your land hopefully, where they receive less pressure.

The fact that it is fun to do is a side benefit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hattori Hanz&#333;</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh we can shoot them too. Have you not heard? In Texas we even shoot them from helicopters. It's pretty rowdy down here when it comes to the hogs. Using dogs to hunt hogs has been practiced for a long time & in many places. Did you not notice on the show that hogs usually require tracking? They are not "resorting" to stabbing the hog to "regain control" as you say. Using dogs to bay the hog & then stabbing it is how it's done & is a lot of fun! Less risk of a dog getting shot that way. Also, the dogs wear kevlar to protect the vitals. Those dogs were not "getting cut up real good" as you may have thought you saw as well. My buddies German Shorthair gets cuts worse than those hunting quail... that's what barb wire does. He's a professional dog trainer as well. These dogs are expensive, the training is expensive, & they are loved companions. They are doing a job they love & are a big help to their masters. Now you think we're gonna risk that? Don't believe everything they say on TV, a lot of stuff is said on that show to sugar coat the fact that all these hogs are being killed. The trapped ones get killed too, though they may not show it or say it on that show, those hogs are not being relocated. </div></div>

I don't actually believe anything on TV...my point was, they didn't let the dogs actually "track" anything, they all drove up on the hogs, kept a light on them, then let the dogs on them, then ran over to them, then wrestled them and finally cut'em down oh and then loaded into truck. What I just described is roughly 7 steps, 7. What should have happened, and it does by people with half a brain...drive up on them, aim, shoot, load into truck, done. Just another dumb TV show with extra stupid shit thrown in to make it interesting I guess, that's all

A sow of 100 pounds ore less is good eating, everything else is scrap. The best are 20-pound piglets: gut them, dip in boiling water (gets ticks, fleas, and hair off), then smoke. Awesome.

Agreed hole heartedly.

I saw the show last night and it was painful to watch. Hogs got away that could have easily been shot. What's the point of letting the dogs loose on a hog that is standing still less than 100 yards away. Shoot the thing and be done with it!

Stupid!

Re Not shooting - the guys in Florida where in a residential neighbor (and a pretty nice one on top of that). I can fully understand why they couldn't and shouldn't use a firearm. Perhaps the rancher in Texas didn't want firearms because of a possible injury to cattle. I found the show very entertaining. Seeing that great dane running on the other side of the pond after a pig was great.

you guys should be ashamed of your selves, shooting inoccent critters like these. No use for them whatsoever. Just killing for fun I guess. Wait, are these the things that taste really good when cooked? These thing somehow turn them selves into pork chops and bacon that I just adore. I might need to rethink my thinking. Ha

i was wondering why they didn't shoot them i saw a little of this show and ended up turning it off...

is anyone else hungry now?

Amazing that they go to such lengths to talk about how bad wild hogs are, then they take 1 or 2 for the land owner and call it a day.

Damn, I need to be in the business of hog eradication in Texas. If that fat-ass chick and her crew-cut moron husband make a business of it, I could clean house.

They can take a hog a night, I can take 10+ on each hunt...but they get a TV show.
Such is life.

I will not be tuning in any more. I think I've lost hog hunting knowledge by watching that drivel.

I watched a couple episodes of this show.

What happens to the ones that went in the truck??????

I agree with many here, there's no good reason to be fucking with one of those things H2H.

I plan on moving to TX in a few years. This sounds like a very entertaining pastime and I will seek local instruction on it.

Especially if you are permitted to hunt them at night, and double especially if you are permitted to hunt them at night with a suppressor, a semi-auto and a green laser designator.

Sheeit. .... I might even take a man-cation if all this is true.

--Fargo007

That's awesome. I soooo picked the right state to retire in.

I wonder what else I will do there other than eat, reload & shoot.

I got a few years to go, but I will reach out here for some advice when the time comes.

Thanks,

--Fargo007

I guess I don't get it. The guys in Florida walked up to the boar sleeping in the brush and were like

"hey there's the pig, lets go back to the ranger and get our one dog to catch it."

How about

"hey there's the pig, BANG! lets go get the ranger and haul this one off."

Then the dog wouldn't touch the thing, it was pretty big so they called it off and damn pig just stood there. Again, another great opportunity for BANG! dead pig. At this rate the pigs will be just fine.

The show is retarded and the people on it are very retarded. having hunted pigs with dogs alot I would say they do things very different than what we did. every pig they caught they could have just shot. Very pathetic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I don't get it. The guys in Florida walked up to the boar sleeping in the brush and were like

"hey there's the pig, lets go back to the ranger and get our one dog to catch it."

How about

"hey there's the pig, BANG! lets go get the ranger and haul this one off."

Then the dog wouldn't touch the thing, it was pretty big so they called it off and damn pig just stood there. Again, another great opportunity for BANG! dead pig. At this rate the pigs will be just fine. </div></div>

Like I said above, they were in a neighborhood. With as many idiots as there are in this world, I certaintly wouldn't want pig hunt with guns in my neighborhood.

In last nights new episode they were not in a neighborhood. It was a ranch out in the sticks. And they could have shot the pig with a pistol at <5 yards several times.

The group in Florida was in a neighborhood. The group in Texas was on a ranch. Maybe he didn't want those idiots shooting a cow?

I thought the same thing. Appeared to me that many pigs could've been shot with spotlight or night-vision gear. Instead, they turn the dog loose and catch one.

The Florida crew caught one that was too big to tie up and take away alive. The guy on camera commented what a shame it was they had to kill it. WTF?! I thought that's what they were hired to do.

I understand the concern for the dogs, but if I was sitting on a pig as big as one they had caught inf Florida, and my retard partner was taking that long to stab the thing, I'd have wanted a gun. Don't know what those people charge landowners for hog control, but if I was over run with hogs, I'd expect more than a team coming out, catching one, and calling it a night.

Couldn't help but wonder if Discovery channel has something against guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: guapo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to come to Texas!! Those looked real tasty. They say they are in MI but I have yet to talk to anyone who has seen one. </div></div>
they arent...only the babies taste good...the big ones taste like shit..

bench