• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bad lot of steel and rumors

I always say.... if it's shooting good.... don't look down the dam thing! Shoot it... clean/maintain it. Enuff said! LOL!
If'n only more people would listen to you. They sure as hell don't listen to me :eek: :ROFLMAO:

My borescope occupies a place of honor in my toolbox. All the way in the back of the bottom drawer. That's not to say that I think they're worthless, quite the contrary. But man o' man, can a guy ever get himself going down the wrong rabbithole(s) with one.

Reactions: BillyGoatMachine
I always say.... if it's shooting good.... don't look down the dam thing! Shoot it... clean/maintain it. Enuff said! LOL!

I have a question about barrels. Since your the barrel expert thought I would ask you.
On youtube watching Eric Cortina, the individuals he interviews, Beating wind, and many more they say when a barrel will not shoot its best to take it off instead of wasting components. When that happens are you just stuck with a bad barrel or will the barrel manufacture replace the barrel???

Personally I have not had this happen with a bartlein barrel. Just curious. Thanks,

I have a question about barrels. Since your the barrel expert thought I would ask you.
On youtube watching Eric Cortina, the individuals he interviews, Beating wind, and many more they say when a barrel will not shoot its best to take it off instead of wasting components. When that happens are you just stuck with a bad barrel or will the barrel manufacture replace the barrel???

Personally I have not had this happen with a bartlein barrel. Just curious. Thanks,

Have to keep things in context. A barrel that "doesn't shoot" for Erik is one that can't compete at the highest level of F Open. The barrels will still be fine for most anyone else. Those guys still use the "bad" barrels for rifles with other purposes.

If you truly have a bad barrel, most any known manufacturer will replace the barrel. But you're not gonna get a replacement because it doesn't shoot 1/4-1/2 at F Open matches.

Have to keep things in context. A barrel that "doesn't shoot" for Erik is one that can't compete at the highest level of F Open. The barrels will still be fine for most anyone else. Those guys still use the "bad" barrels for rifles with other purposes.

If you truly have a bad barrel, most any known manufacturer will replace the barrel. But you're not gonna get a replacement because it doesn't shoot 1/4-1/2 at F Open matches.
This question was not for you... :rolleyes: Give us a break from your know it all bullshit .

1711315330623.png

The first question is or I guess a lot of them… what makes it bad? What’s your accuracy requirement? What loads did you run thru it? How are you cleaning it? What spec chamber reamer was used to chamber the barrel as there are good designs and crappy designs.

Shooters can wreck the barrel…

Three things that have to work together… bullets, powder and barrel. One of these things might not like the other and cause the gun to not shoot good. If it’s not shooting doesn’t mean the barrel is bad.

The first question is or I guess a lot of them… what makes it bad? What’s your accuracy requirement? What loads did you run thru it? How are you cleaning it? What spec chamber reamer was used to chamber the barrel as there are good designs and crappy designs.

Shooters can wreck the barrel…

Three things that have to work together… bullets, powder and barrel. One of these things might not like the other and cause the gun to not shoot good. If it’s not shooting doesn’t mean the barrel is bad.
I have a bartlein stainless chambered by SPR in 6gt that averages .2. It has shot a few .07s. I also have bartlein carbon chambered by Alex Wheeler that shoots the same in 308. I'd say both are good barrels. I also have several proofs, they give veteran discount, that do .25 to .5. Most are under 10 pound except the 6gt it's close to 15 pounds.

I bought a bsf barrel and would work up a load. Next day couldn't get same results. Could use factory or reloads didn’t matter. Barrel was not consistent. Never knew how it was going to shoot. Put on a proof, problem solved.

I was asking to expand my knowledge. Barrels are interesting. You answered most of my questions with how a different reamer could affect accuracy.

Could the metal from barrel to barrel play a part? Why do you think one barrel could be a hummer and another is not??? I know my question is all over the place I just stopped at gas Station to reply.

This question was not for you... :rolleyes: Give us a break from your know it all bullshit .

View attachment 8380454

Shit. And to think I had to spend the last 20 minutes trying to figure out how I could take Haney off of ignore, just so I could read this post with my own eyes........... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Thanks for replying. I understand. What would you call a bad barrel??

I have a bartlein stainless chambered by SPR in 6gt that averages .2. It has shot a few .07s. I also have bartlein carbon chambered by Alex Wheeler that shoots the same in 308. I'd say both are good barrels. I also have several proofs, they give veteran discount, that do .25 to .5. Most are under 10 pound except the 6gt it's close to 15 pounds.

I bought a bsf barrel and would work up a load. Next day couldn't get same results. Could use factory or reloads didn’t matter. Barrel was not consistent. Never knew how it was going to shoot. Put on a proof, problem solved.

I was asking to expand my knowledge. Barrels are interesting. You answered most of my questions with how a different reamer could affect accuracy.

Could the metal from barrel to barrel play a part? Why do you think one barrel could be a hummer and another is not??? I know my question is all over the place I just stopped at gas Station to reply.
Call BSF. I talked with them a few years ago and was super impressed with their CS. They will take care of you and help you

Call BSF. I talked with them a few years ago and was super impressed with their CS. They will take care of you and help you

Thanks for the advice. I was just using that as an example with BSF. Though I may call them. But honestly I do not think BSF barrels are top tier anyways. My question was more along the lines of what makes a barrel bad. How do barrel manufactures spot a bad barrel? Do they replace when sent in as a bad barrel.

Thanks for replying. I understand. What would you call a bad barrel??

IMO, consistency would be the main factor to look for. That'll tell you more than "I won't do XYZ."

If it won't consistently do much of anything with different ammo or combinations of components, then you might have a barrel that isn't acceptable. Obviously having a precision standard for your purposes is important, but as far as what a manufacturer would consider bad.....consistency will IMO be a better indicator.

Thanks for the advice. I was just using that as an example with BSF. Though I may call them. But honestly I do not think BSF barrels are top tier anyways. My question was more along the lines of what makes a barrel bad. How do barrel manufactures spot a bad barrel? Do they replace when sent in as a bad barrel.
Yeah I understand, but really I would call bsf.

Im not a smith or metal expert or anything else relevant to this topic, with that said.....

There's several things that "can", make a barrel "bad". I think the most common that is actually an issue from the manufacturer, would be tight spots in the barrel or loose spots. By that, I mean, when you slug the barrel, there would be a place or multiple places where the bore would be smaller or larger than the rest of the barrel. Bad steel is possible but my understanding is that bad steel is extraordinarily rare to occur with any upper end barrel manufacturer. Way way less common amd less likely than most think.

I think the most common by far of the things that can cause an issue with accuracy is "stuff done to the barrel by others (Smith/owner of barrel). How the clambering is done and the cleaning/care , load shot, ect...

Reactions: Herb Stoner
Back in the dark ages when I was young and inexperienced ( was going to say stupid but I may still be that) I shot centerfire BR ( 6ppc add powder till you see pressure signs at range). A lot of big time shooters would start a season by ordering 6-8 barrels hoping to get 3-4 “hummers” that were reserved for matches, the rest were used for practice. Some would say the practice barrels were not “good”, but they were just not up to match levels.

Back in the dark ages when I was young and inexperienced ( was going to say stupid but I may still be that) I shot centerfire BR ( 6ppc add powder till you see pressure signs at range). A lot of big time shooters would start a season by ordering 6-8 barrels hoping to get 3-4 “hummers” that were reserved for matches, the rest were used for practice. Some would say the practice barrels were not “good”, but they were just not up to match levels.
I got one of those “not good” barrels off a guy in TX a long time ago. Chambered in 6brx. It’s shot more than one 1” group at 500 for me. Kinda makes me wonder how much better the ones were that he kept

I got one of those “not good” barrels off a guy in TX a long time ago. Chambered in 6brx. It’s shot more than one 1” group at 500 for me. Kinda makes me wonder how much better the ones were that he kept

I did the same back in 2000.
The not so good Hart barrel never shot a group over 3/8" for the previous owner on his Farley action.
It got rechambered to 6-BR and has been one hell of a good Varmint barrel.
I can't think of any bad, or even mediocre groups from it since I've owned it.

With that said, it's never been consistent enough for short range Benchrest.

Reactions: Geno C. and brianf
Yeah I understand, but really I would call bsf.

Im not a smith or metal expert or anything else relevant to this topic, with that said.....

There's several things that "can", make a barrel "bad". I think the most common that is actually an issue from the manufacturer, would be tight spots in the barrel or loose spots. By that, I mean, when you slug the barrel, there would be a place or multiple places where the bore would be smaller or larger than the rest of the barrel. Bad steel is possible but my understanding is that bad steel is extraordinarily rare to occur with any upper end barrel manufacturer. Way way less common amd less likely than most think.

I think the most common by far of the things that can cause an issue with accuracy is "stuff done to the barrel by others (Smith/owner of barrel). How the clambering is done and the cleaning/care , load shot, ect.
I took your advice and called BSF. They took my number 2 weeks back and I have not heard anything back. They said that it was very odd for one of their barrels to be replaced by a proof barrel and the proof barrel shoot better. I disagree with their statement. Then he said that is why weatherby and springfeild uses their barrels. I personally think they use them because they are cheaper. based off feedback I have received about BSF barrels I am not a fan.

I took your advice and called BSF. They took my number 2 weeks back and I have not heard anything back. They said that it was very odd for one of their barrels to be replaced by a proof barrel and the proof barrel shoot better. I disagree with their statement. Then he said that is why weatherby and springfeild uses their barrels. I personally think they use them because they are cheaper. based off feedback I have received about BSF barrels I am not a fan.
Well that sucks. Sorry, that was not my experience at all but then again, it's been a few years now. Good for everyone to know though.

Every barrel is different and every mfg makes a dud but if their claim to fame is Springfield and weatherby for quality and accuracy, I’d suggest you look elsewhere