• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bad Rock Precision Rifles - South Fork Barrel Type(s) and Supplier(s) Still a Mystery

IndianaRem5r

Major General
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Pawnee, IN
The new South Fork rifle from Bad Rock Precision Rifles (https://badrockrifles.com/) looks to have great potential. Bad Rock is affiliated with Defiance Machine which manufactures lovely actions as we know. Anyway, the recently introduced South Fork rifle has a great specification list (see below), but the most important part of the rifle (the barrel) is a mystery. It is listed only as a "Match grade stainless steel barrel". That could describe any barrel from a button-rifled Shilen to a cut-rifled Bartlein and everything in between. I also don't see a barrel contour listed. So, I sent Bad Rock a question via their website asking simply "Is the South Fork barrel cut-rifled or button-rifled?". To this point, it has been the sound of crickets...nothing, nada, no response. The great barrel mystery remains. Speaking for myself, I won't invest in this rifle package without this information, at a minimum. What do you think?

• Receiver made of pre-hardened aircraft certified 416 stainless steel
  • One-piece bolt made of pre-hardened aircraft certified 4340 Chrome moly
  • Mil spec 1913 (Picatinny) stainless steel scope mount 20 MOA (Optional)
  • Coned-nose, controlled round feed and sliding plate extractor
  • Mechanical (Winchester M70-style blade) ejector
  • BadRock/MDT LSS-XL Gen2 chassis
    • 13.5 to 14.75 LOP
    • Adjustable cheek
  • TriggerTech primary trigger
  • Right or Left hand
  • Approximately 10.6lbs
  • Match grade stainless steel barrel
    • 6 CM, 6.5 CM = 26”
    • .223, .308 = 23”
  • 5/8-24 threaded muzzle

I've asked the same questions a couple weeks ago as I'm certain that others here have too.

Mike Lee stated at SHOT that they were using multiple suppliers for the blanks. I would guess that this is where a compromise is made, as with the step up in a chassis over the Bravo and upgraded Tenacity action, there is not much room to procure high dollar blanks and keep production costs low.

Probably source from different suppliers when overruns are available and my guess would be a sendero-med. palma for the contour . Bottom line without Bad Rock, PVA, ARC, etc etc. not answering basic questions have pushed me to build to my own desires vs purchasing their $2k offering. Just my choice at this point.

YMMV,

TM6

I was sold based on the Defiance connection and call to order one. Had a good conversation and was told someone would call me back to confirm the order and take 50% deposit. No one ever called back. Decided to wait and see how this turns out.

The new South Fork rifle from Bad Rock Precision Rifles (https://badrockrifles.com/) looks to have great potential. Bad Rock is affiliated with Defiance Machine which manufactures lovely actions as we know. Anyway, the recently introduced South Fork rifle has a great specification list (see below), but the most important part of the rifle (the barrel) is a mystery. It is listed only as a "Match grade stainless steel barrel". That could describe any barrel from a button-rifled Shilen to a cut-rifled Bartlein and everything in between. I also don't see a barrel contour listed. So, I sent Bad Rock a question via their website asking simply "Is the South Fork barrel cut-rifled or button-rifled?". To this point, it has been the sound of crickets...nothing, nada, no response. The great barrel mystery remains. Speaking for myself, I won't invest in this rifle package without this information, at a minimum. What do you think?

• 13.5 to 14.75 LOP
    • Adjustable cheek
  • Right or Left hand
  • Approximately 10.6lbs
    • 6 CM, 6.5 CM = 26”
    • .223, .308 = 23”
  • 5/8-24 threaded muzzle

• 13.5 to 14.75 LOP
    • Adjustable cheek
  • Right or Left hand
  • Approximately 10.6lbs
    • 6 CM, 6.5 CM = 26”
    • .223, .308 = 23”
  • 5/8-24 threaded muzzle
To the best of my knowledge they source from multiple top end barrel manufacturers depending on availability

I shoot for Defiance and help them work the booth at Shot Show. They are using barrels from different manufacturers at the moment. Some of them are Rock Creek, Lilja, and Criterion.
Every manufacturer has different wait times and Defiance has chosen to not delay sales and deliveries because of those wait times.

I shoot for Defiance and help them work the booth at Shot Show. They are using barrels from different manufacturers at the moment. Some of them are Rock Creek, Lilja, and Criterion.
Every manufacturer has different wait times and Defiance has chosen to not delay sales and deliveries because of those wait times.
Thanks for the reply. This tells me that OEM button-rifled barrels are being installed on the South Fork rifles.

Are they using the tenacity action for this rifle?
There are some differences to the Tenacity action. Defiance does use the same material on all their actions. However, for the South Fork model, the action is not polished. The bolt is nose coned, controlled round feed, and uses the same firing pin as the Elite action. The South Fork action uses a sliding plate extractor vs a mini-16 extractor on the Tenacity.

Reactions: kriller134
There are some differences to the Tenacity action. Defiance does use the same material on all their actions. However, for the South Fork model, the action is not polished. The bolt is nose coned, controlled round feed, and uses the same firing pin as the Elite action. The South Fork action uses a sliding plate extractor vs a mini-16 extractor on the Tenacity.
Is there an advantage to using a cones bolt? Thanks for the reply.

I have one, and have mixed feelings about it. I will say that I've never owned a gun as particular as this one. I'll leave it at that.

I hope I didn't come off as negative about the company, or the rifle. There's just an issue with mine, and they're dealing with it. I don't want to sway anyone's opinion based on my particular issue. There is plenty good to say about the rifle otherwise, and others are pleased with theirs. I've had a few rifles from reputable companies that had problems, all were dealt with to my satisfaction.

Reactions: Baron23
I hope I didn't come off as negative about the company, or the rifle. There's just an issue with mine, and they're dealing with it. I don't want to sway anyone's opinion based on my particular issue. There is plenty good to say about the rifle otherwise, and others are pleased with theirs. I've had a few rifles from reputable companies that had problems, all were dealt with to my satisfaction.
I can't speak for others but I didn't take it as a negative thing. Things happen sometimes a barrels picky. Biggest thing to take away is they are making it right and that's all we can all for a consumers when things aren't quite right from the start

So maybe dumb question--if the action is defiance, which defiance is it? Only reason I held back on one was after the first barrel dies, getting a second to replace easily (*cough* prefits *cough*). (I'm on pace to have them replaced about every 18 months).

I know its kinda stupid but I'm on medication and therapy.

So maybe dumb question--if the action is defiance, which defiance is it? Only reason I held back on one was after the first barrel dies, getting a second to replace easily (*cough* prefits *cough*). (I'm on pace to have them replaced about every 18 months).

It’s the badrock action…

If I'm not mistaken its a tweaked tenacity

The Badrock action body is similar to an older Tenacity, non integral recoil lug. The bolt however is very different than a Tenacity. It is a controlled round feed mechanical ejector with a cone bolt nose. These actions run super smooth, I think I prefer them to my Tenacity. I am not aware of any prefits that fit this action. Abbie's badrock is a solid .3 to .4 shooter and was very easy to tune a load with 105 Hybrids. By the end of this season, her barrel will be smoked. I will need to decide between having Badrock replace the barrel with another of their in house pieces or spinning one up on my own from a Kreiger or Bartlien blank. Leaning towards a heavier profile Bartlien and chambering in 6br.