• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Badger base (306-46) on 700 5R - need bedding? (PHOTOS)

Hadwyn

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Installing a Badger Ordnance M700 SA Picatinny base (306-46) on my 700 5R. This is my first base installation and I'm trying to determine whether or not I need to bed it. I've come across enough how-tos that demonstrate a significant amount of play between the action and base, leading to bedding being necessary. I dropped my base in and snugged it up (front screws only) but don't see any space (perhaps a tiny amount on a couple of the corners - see photos), or play regardless of how much pressure I put on the rear - it seems maybe 95%+ as flush as the front. Judging by the pictures below, which I took at the best possible angles to show gaps (if there are any), does it look like I will need to bed the rear of the base?

Thanks for your time.

PHOTOS: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/puxi72c9nz1h2z7/AAAGvfWk6DkUMKTeG3NV2SLZa?dl=0

I used a Leupy 20MOA rail for this reason... simply fit better. IMHO - do you need to bed..no..... should you bed.. probably. That said the best course might be to look at a rail that fits your M700 better intrinsically.

When is it not necessary to bed a base? Is there such a thing as having so little space between the base and action that bedding is unnecessary? And does it look like my case fits into that category?

It's a simple enough task but I want to be sure it's necessary before following through with it.

I think you need to bed the rear piece. I have done a few. If you can slide a piece of paper or two or three under there, then bed it. I use JB Weld.
Put the screws back in the rear action holes, then get a nice layer of black shoe polish on it. Then apply the JB Weld to the base, and install the front action screws only.
Let it set for 8 hours and then pull it off and trim it up around the holes in the base and around the edges with a razor blade. After you install the wet JB Weld, a little will ooze out, just have a few qtips ready with some wd40 on them and clean it up. You will be good to go, with no stress on your base after your job is done.

I believe most of the time it's not the base that's out of spec its the rifle. The rear bridge is what's going to be off.

Before you bed anything make sure the rail is straight. Don't assume it is.

It almost doesn't look like it is in the first photos, but I feel zero side-to-side play in it. Is there a surefire way of straightening it?

I'm not talking about side to side straight but on top. Many times the rail is slightly bowed.

I'm not talking about side to side straight but on top. Many times the rail is slightly bowed.

A Badger base can be bowed? I assumed you get what you pay for with them: a rail as straight as a nail. Are you referring to when both the front and rear are screwed down? I can see that being the case if the action is not level.

After watching the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLYvLdM4ymU

...I repeated the process with the screws on the rear instead of the front, thinking I may see some play as is shown in the clip. After snugging the screws down I found zero play on the front, and no gaps on the front whatsoever. What appear to be gaps on a couple of the corners of the rear (see photos) do not close out when tightening the rear.

Also tried another test: slid the thinnest pieces of paper and plastic (separately) that I could find in between the front and rear when the opposite ends, respectively, were tightened. I couldn't get any of them past one or two millimeters under (on the short edge) and that was only on the rear - when I tightened the rear I was able to get just as little under.

Any thoughts?

Question I have at this point is, with a seemingly insignificant amount of space at the corners of the rear and none in the front, what am I bedding? What will I gain by applying a sliver of bedding compound at the two corners?

Last edited:
A Badger base can be bowed? I assumed you get what you pay for with them: a rail as straight as a nail. Are you referring to when both the front and rear are screwed down? I can see that being the case if the action is not level.

No, in a free and uninstalled state. Get a steel ruler and check or if you don't have one find something perfectly flat.