• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger FTE and thread protector ?

o0ben0o

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2010
NSW, Australia
Gday,
So Ive done the searching. Couldnt find anything regarding this.
Im looking at buying a Badger FTE brake for my build as I want a brake that is removable. Most ranges here wont let me run a brake, so It needs to be easy to get on and off, but i prefer the thread and clamp style of the FTE. Has anyone had a thread protector made up to suit a barrel cut for the FTE ? Is it needed ? If so, would you just have the thread protector itself or would they make like a sleeve to cover the machined surface behind the thread required for the FTE (I think)

Re: Badger FTE and thread protector ?

I had to have my gunsmith cut the threads on my barrel and drill the FTE out to match my bullet diameter. I don't think it would be very hard for him to make a protective sleeve but my thought was I would show up on the line and if someone wanted me to take it off I would unscrew it right there on the spot. I don't think there is any danger involved in shooting with your threads showing. When I'm done shooting, I'd just screw the brake right back on there at the range. I can square it up later with a level when I get home. I didn't see a real need for a protector because my default position would be to leave it on.

Any gunsmith that threads barrels can make you a thread protector to fit. Not terribly difficult with the right tools. I would reccomend using one, you never know if you'll bump your rifle off the bench or some other bad thing happens. Instead of having to cut, re crown and re thread, you'd just have to have a new TP made.

I had wnroscoe at LA precision make me a thread protector with a sleeve to match my barrel. If I get a chance I will try to take some pictures of it. I rarely shoot with the FTE on my rifle and I didn't like the way the barrel looked with just a protector without the sleeve.

The purpose of a thread protector is to protect the threads.
Its a good idea to have one.
Whether it has a sleeved portion that covers the machined area is a matter of aesthetics, nothing wrong with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had wnroscoe at LA precision make me a thread protector with a sleeve to match my barrel. If I get a chance I will try to take some pictures of it. I rarely shoot with the FTE on my rifle and I didn't like the way the barrel looked with just a protector without the sleeve. </div></div>

Is it all one piece or is it two separate pieces?

I just mailed Badger asking them if they offer a thread protector for when the FTE muzzle brake is removed. I will post their responce. Philip.

Here's what it looks like without a sleeve. I rarely shoot without the FTE in place and so this covers my needs; small and simple. In order to re-time the FTE, I carry two small 6" Starrett steel rulers in my data book. One goes on the scope rail, the other on the top of the FTE...line them up parallel to each other while looking down the bore and then tighten to 20 in-lbs. Same every time.

23kqh6e.jpg

s653j6.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjones88</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had wnroscoe at LA precision make me a thread protector with a sleeve to match my barrel. If I get a chance I will try to take some pictures of it. I rarely shoot with the FTE on my rifle and I didn't like the way the barrel looked with just a protector without the sleeve. </div></div>

Is it all one piece or is it two separate pieces? </div></div>

One piece.

Here is the reply I got from Badger. They do have a thread protector available for when you remove the FTE. I sent GAP a mail, and they added it to my order. Philip

Hi,
We do have a thread protector, have GA get it and add it to your build.
Thanks
Marty
Martin Bordson
Badger Ordnance
1209 Swift St.
N. Kansas City, MO. 64116
816 421 4956 Fax 816 421 4958