• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Badger M2008 with Remy 700 barrel?

IrishRifle

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2008
Republic of Ireland
Anyone know if a .308 barrel which has already been treaded and fitted to a Remy 700 can be re-fitted to the Badger M2008 SA? If so, is it a straight swap or does the treading need to be extended or completely redone?
Also, would it need to be rechanbered?

Re: Badger M2008 with Remy 700 barrel?

Im sure threading work will need to be done as well as some chambering work to set the headspace. So in short, no its not a straight swap, but it can be dome.

the bolt recess area of the barrel may need some work as well since the Badger is 3-lug and the Remington is 2-Lug. Haven't seen a Badger bolt yet, but that is another area of difference between the two.

OK, found a picture, and it definately needs a different bolt recess, it actually looks like the Badger wouldn't have a recess at all, so the Remington barrel will need to have the bolt recess cut off. Then the tenon would need to be cut to the right lenght. Since the Remington barrel was likely threaded into a groove it would be difficult to continue the threads, so you would need to rely on whatever threads were left after removing the recess. The chamber would then need to be cut a bit deeper to headspace properly. That should be all there is to it.

DD

OK, thanks for the info guys.
So, basicaly there would need to be a re-work of the tread and chamber leading to a loss of up to maybe an inch of barrel lenght.

The reason I ask is because I have a 30" medium palma 1/12 Krieger barrel about to be treaded and fitted to my rem700, replacing the standard 26", but now I'm considering ordering one of the next batch of Badger M2008 SA's when they come out later this month,(hopefuly). Now I'm thinking that I might be better off just waiting for the new action instead of messing around with the Remy first.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

IrishRifle.

P.S: The 30" wil be used for F/TR.

I think you could get by losing less than an inch. The depth of the recess is only around .154" or so, so that is about all of the barrel length you would need to lose, if what I posted above is even true or not.

Dave

OK Dave, thats not so bad. I'll have to think about it for a while. I still haven't fully decided on the M2008, I might go with a Surgeon and I assume that would require less of a re-work as it is based on the remy.

IrishRifle.

This is a bit off topic but if I was you i'd look at getting the surgeon, i've handled and shot both and was much more impressed with the surgeon, JMHO

Steve

Slayer,
In what way did the surgeon impress you more? I had always intended to use a surgeon for the build untill the M2008 came out and caught my eye. The 60 degree bolt throw, the double recoil lugs and the sheer rugged look of the M2008 appeals to me.
I live in Ireland and unfortunately will not have a chance to lay my hands on either action untill I get one shipped from the States so I have to rely on opions from others such as yourself.

IrishRifle.

I just liked the smoothness and the lines of the surgeon, they shot equally well, but the surgeon had a smoother cycling bolt, I am not a huge fan of the 60* bolt lift in the first place.
they are both good, I just like the surgeon more,

Steve

I think I maybe leaning back towards the Surgeon. I found a place in the UK that has them in stock and I could have it in two/three weeks as opposed to a few months to get the M2008 from the States when it comes out. Also the Surgeon will drop straight into my AICS with no milling needed.
Thanks again for the info.

IrishRifle.

DSCN1039.jpg

Next to the Badger M2008 is one of it's barrels, then barrels fitted to an M700. A custom with heavy lug, a factory barrel, and an accurized M700 action. You can see the longer threads and no bolt nose relief of the Badger action comparared to the Remington.