• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Badger M2013 in 338LM

Looks like you were going crazy with the box cutter on your finger getting into the box. Lol. They look really nice. What's your first impression of the action?
xdeano

Last edited:
Looks like you were going crazy with the box cutter on your finger getting into the box. Lol. They look really nice. What's your first impression of the action?
xdeano

HA HA... Previous injury to the index....

First impressions.... Stout, solid action. Smooth as silk is right.
It's a beast. You don't want to drop this thing on a toe.

Last edited:
Here it is in an AX Chassis, now what to do to make the top rails line up.

Attachments

• 20130618_174739.jpg
    20130618_174739.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 25
ot2lub.jpg

Finally got to pick it up today. My dealer got it in yesterday but I didn't get the call to pick it up till this afternoon. Serial number 6.

An iPhone pic will have to do, here it is with a 27" blank, Whitley Medium Palma contour. My bench is a bit dissheveled.

They forgot my round bolt knob I requested. Have to call tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear you fellas received your actions! The only thing I received was the invoice for action #10. Well, at least the boys at GAP will get to touch my action inappropriately. Here's hoping for a Christmas delivery! ;)

Is the serial number on the opposite side as the M2013 stamp?

On a sidenote, I talked to someone at Badger who stated there was around 70 actions ordered and about half were delivered.

Kind regards,
Jared

Here's some pics of the fluting.

ifxrnk.jpg

11wcbiw.jpg

9zrg9w.jpg

Here's two gratuitous pics of the action.
i2rk8k.jpg

jrg2l2.jpg

Bolt lift is heavy to me, but I have no experience with Badger actions until now. The heavy lift is compounded by it not being in a stock. Bolt is very smooth gliding. I was not prepared for how beefy and vault door-ish this solid little bitch is, I like it alot.

Gotta send the bolt out tomorrow to have it coated by Ionbond in FDE. Doing that for the bolt and Cerakote on the action. Wanted to nitride the bolt but Marty advised against it. Hope to have the bolt back by the time my XLR chassis shows up around July 10th. So I can send it all out as one box for assembly.

What ion bond dealer can get that done so fast?

That fluting looks different than the SHOT pictures I've seen.

What ion bond dealer can get that done so fast?

That fluting looks different than the SHOT pictures I've seen.

I don't think it can be done that fast. We had a new baby last week and I lost track of time, didn't realize typing it that July was so close. Here's hoping for a quick turn around anyway.

I remember the SHOT pics having much more aggressive fluting too. Haven't gone back to look at 8541's pics in a while.

The bolt lift seemed to get easier the more I operated it. Now its at the Smith's so hopefully he knocks it out for me quickly.

For those of you that already have a barrel that will screw on... where are you getting your coating for the action done? Who has the fastest turn around? I'd like Melonite or something like that but it seems turn around is extended for those...

Got it in my hot little hands! OK, prelim impressions: not as smooth as my Stiller Tac-30 but with use and lube, I am sure it's going to slick up. The bolt is tight. I wonder how those tight tolerances will work in a sandstorm? Like everyone else has already said, this thing has a pretty high BMI. When you pick it up, it feels very heavy in your hands. It is totally tacticool. It is so cool that my FFL guy didn't charge me for the transfer.

Someone explain the breeching ring to me. Why is it necessary? Wouldn't it be stronger to machine the lugs into the action? I guess it is easier to machine the ring and then place it into the action? What are the advantages, etc.?

Last edited:
My guess is that if you ruin the ring and or lugs on the bolt you can swap them out with new. Or if youre doing a switch barrel you could dedicate a bolt with the ring. Just a guess.

Xdeano

It's easier to machine the 3-on-2 lug pattern into a separate insert, than into the receiver.

It provides an "adjustment" for headspace similar to the recoil lug on an R700. A simple trim on a precision surface grinder can ensure each action will headspace to ~+/- .0005" of one another.

It allows you to choose different materials/heat treatments for receiver and ring. In this case, the 4143 the action is made of is plenty strong for lugs, but the ring alloy is even better, but very cost-prohibitive to make the action from.

It can be replaced should it be damaged.

AI does it!

For those of you that already have a barrel that will screw on... where are you getting your coating for the action done? Who has the fastest turn around? I'd like Melonite or something like that but it seems turn around is extended for those...

I talked to Marty and he said his bolt and inside of his action on his rifles were parked. said it holds lube and slicks up after 100 or so cycles.

Thoughts?

You should be able to nitride (melonite) the action but not the bolt or breeching ring. One major benefit of the breeching ring besides the ones Turbo mentioned is that you can set the headspace off the face of the barrel. This means you can order new barrels without sending your rifle in. You just call up a smith and say you need a X caliber barrel with whatever thread on the shank and chambered so that a go gauge sits .xxx" off the face of the barrel. Then you get it and put it on yourself.

They are really nice actions. We did an in house mag phosphate (Parkerize) and it turned out excellent.
Justin

We did an in house mag phosphate (Parkerize) and it turned out excellent.
Justin

Did you park the entire action? Threads, raceway, etc...
Entire bolt? Lugs or just the body, handle, shroud.

I am planning to Mang phos park mine. Need some details. Plan to blast & park it before sending to the smith. CeraKote barreled action when it returns.
I plan to leave the internals of the action and bolt body parked and not CeraKoted.

Kevin

Mine is now in hand.

Impressions:

Nicely polished to a mirror shine. Nice presentation, but we're just gonna blast it and coat it anyway!

Build quality excellent

Side bolt release more elegant and less "rube Goldberg" than m2008.

Feels a shade lighter in the hand than m2008.

Mag well cut perfectly. Will happily receive any cartridge that fits in an AW or Alpha mag. My AW mags butt into the feed rails at the perfect height, allowing me to run the bolt, even when rifle is resting on the magazine...I LOVE that.

My GAP-chambered barrel that came off a Gen 2 m2008 head spaces to GO + ~.002". The Go gage chambers easily, Go gage with cellophane tape barely chambers, and the bolt face scrapes the tape off a bit.

Bolt lift: much improved over m2008. Its not a slicked up Defiance, its still heavier than 90° bolts, and not as light as a TRG, but it is absolutely lighter and better than the old version. I think people on the fence over the 2008 will find this totally passable.

We mag phosphated the entire action minus breeching ring but including the bolt stop, also did the bolt body and shroud minus the lugs, knob, firing pin, extractor, plunger, small parts. We blasted it first and it came out nice but it was a shame to blast such a nicely finished surface.

I've heard the weight savings was .5lb. I like the 2008 shroud better for looks though.
Justin

yeah i like the old ball bolt knob better then the mini they are putting on em.

Sweet, also. First time installing a barrel. When you screw the barrel down by hand, it turns down to about a 1/16th of an inch from flush by hand before it won't tighten any more (by hand) is that normal?

Sweet, also. First time installing a barrel. When you screw the barrel down by hand, it turns down to about a 1/16th of an inch from flush by hand before it won't tighten any more (by hand) is that normal?

Not sure I'd call it "normal", but mine did the same and I wasn't sweating it. It took *just slightly* more torque than I could apply by hand to get the barrel shoulder butted up tight to the receiver.

Not concerned.

Badger shipped my 338LM 28June! I'll have a complete rifle built in a month, they installed the steel 45moa rail and round knob as requested. Can't beat it

Last edited:
Spindrift,
Great news on the mag action, hope mine comes soon too. Shoot some pics and post it up when it comes.
Xdeano

Thanks xdeano, I'll put some pre build pics up, and some completes. Picked up a Nightforce 5.5-22x50mm from Mile High Shooting that will be resting ontop as its finishing touch

Just got mine in! It's a lot more stout than I thought, what a damn fine piece of kit!

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 23
Looks to be Cerakote.....

I am waiting on my build from GAP. Went with a 6.5 Creedmoor in a KMW Sentinel. :D