• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Baffle erosion, Extruded powder VS ball powder

discrota

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2008
Central Oregon
Just curious if anyone has any data for suppressor baffle erosion differences between ball/flake and extruded/kernal powders.

I have noticed on my big magnums that I use Retumbo, H4831sc and the like type powders, I see serious abounts of pitting and/or erosion on the muzzle brakes. I dont run any ball type powders on my guns with brakes so I have nothing to compare it to, but it would seem that the smaller grains of powder would do less damage.

With that in mind, I am wondering about powders for my suppressed 223's. Anyone know of any baffle wear difference between say, TAC, and Varget?

Granted if I see better accuracy results with a kernal type powder thats what im going to use. Silencers are just another tool and do wear out. I'm not going to lose sleep about baffle wear, but if I can slow it down with my powder choices I would like to.

I ask mainly because I am thinking about getting a Noveske 10.5" SBR and know that I will see more wear with that than my 18-20" tubes my SPR M/4 currently resides on. Use is casual, no mag dumps or full auto.

Re: Baffle erosion, Extruded powder VS ball powder

Not sure how to answer this one.....I've been shooting my .338 Lapua Desert Tactical SRS with a suppressor of my own design. I've used a variety of powders including 5010, Retumbo, H1000, WC872 and a couple others. There are extruded and ball powders in the list and I can't tell any difference between them for wear. I've been looking as this suppressor is a prototype and I want to know how it goes. There is some erosion of the blast baffle and a bit of peening on the edges but nothing I'd be worried about. Its got about 1000rds through it so far with some high fire rate testing to see how it held up when hot. When running 100gr of powder at a shot it heats up pretty quick.....
My suggestion is to use the load that works best for your rifle and not worry about the suppressor wear. I don't think this can would have near the wear from a .308 after 1000rds.....

Frank