• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

ballistic computer newbie here, IPOD touch?

matt33

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Bradford/Susquehanna Co, PA
I've been shooting for a while now, but I've never invested in a small, hand-held ballistic computer. I have a "dumb" cell phone and refuse to buy an I-phone or other smart phone due to the required data plan. I have no virtually no cell service where I live and there are two phones on my plan, so I feel like I'd be throwing $60/month away just to have an I-phone.

I've been meaning to buy an I-pod for my Jeep for a while and I'm wondering if ballistic applications designed for the I-phone will also work for the I-pod touch? If so, can anyone recommend a good affordable ballistic app?

I apologize in advance if these questions seem elementary, but living out here in the sticks sometimes keeps me behind the times technologically.

Re: ballistic computer newbie here, IPOD touch?

Yes,all ballistic programs work on ipod touch.
Some of the fancy programs give altitude,and pressure readings via iphone.
But you can manually enter these.

i agree ballistic FTE is a good program, i used to run bulletflight, IMHO FTE is better, user friendly as well, look into an otterbox for your itouch, it may save your A$$ if you plan on using it in the field quite often!!!

Ballistic FTE is an excellent option for the iPod Touch series of devices. I use it on one of mine and it works extremely well. Just remember...the Touch is not network equipped for 3G/4G data transmission over a cell network, so you are limited to wifi connection for data transmission if you are out and about using the device. Because of this, unless you are within range of a wifi connection on your range (or wherever you are shooting), some of the features in FTE like atmospheric/environmental conditions, etc. won't sync up which means manually inputing them (if you know...like from a Kestrel, etc.), or going without them which leaves you with less-than-ideal data.

+1 more vote for a high-quality case like the otterboxes!! They aren't cheap, but are worth your weight in gold if you are taking the Touch "out and about" with you where we all know bad things can (and like WILL) happen!
wink.gif

ballistic fte lists my lapua scenar ballistic coeficient at .251 weather i list it as g1 or g7 anyone else have this problem or a solution for it

I agree on the Ballistic FTE. I'm not computer savy, but this program is so user friendly, and I can sail right through it with all the options.

+1 on the Itouch.
It is worthless for me to have an Iphone as 90% of my shooting is a no cell service area. Plus work provides my no data nondestructable phone.
JBM rocks!
Just sent him an email here is my question...
Will a bluetooth Kestrel "talk" to my Itouch? In other words will weather data be imported to the FTE program?
T