• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bare Bones equipment needed to load for precision rifle.

Randoman5

Minuteman
Jul 29, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Guys are always asking questions like this in the bolt action threads but it seems like most of the stuff for reloading is pretty high end.

I've read the reloading 101 sticky but it doesn't really answer the question I have.

Specifically what tools does one NEED to begin reloading? Many of us are on a budget, so least expensive products that actually work would be preferred.

Thanks

Get one of the rcbs starter kits, I thinks its the supreme that comes with the hand priming tool.Every thing you NEED besides dies and components will be in there.

Powder, brass, primers, bullets. A press of some sort, dies, calipers, a scale, maybe case gauges (+/-), loading blocks (plastic cartridge holders from commercial ammo work fine), a powder funnel and a powder trickler.

I have likely forgotten something, but others will fill in the gaps.

Good Luck,

Get one of the manufacturer's kits - I'm partial to RCBS, but the others are fine as well. That covers the needs pretty well, but leaves out a lot of the nice to haves.

One thing it leaves out is a set of 6" dial calipers. Those are a need. Also, you will very quickly need a case trimmer, which is also not included (but you can put it off until you do if the budget is tight). And while not technically a need, you'd be wise to pick up a case measurement system of some sort (I like the Hornady comparator for this).

Aside from components, dies and a shellholder, that will get you going. You'll want a crap load more, but that's the basics.

Basic needs list:

Single Stage Press
Dies for the caliber you are loading
Scale for measuring powder charges
Cailper to measure seating depth
Case lube

Powder, primers, bullets, and brass of course.

Nice to have:

Dippers to quickly get close to the right charge. These can be home made, empty brass soldered to a handle works.
Trickler for powder charges
Hand priming tool - better feel versus the press

I just went through this - here's what I ended up with after a bunch of reading/research:

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme reloading kit ~300 with 50 rebate
Redding Dies (pick a set) ~150
lyman universal decapping die (deprime before tumbling/sizing) ~20
Hornady Comparator sets (headspace and ogive) ~40
Mititoyu digital caliper ~120
Redding trickler ~20
Lyman primer pocket jobby guy ~12
Lyman cheapo tumbler and walnut media from a pet store ~75
Imperial case lube ~10

around 700 bucks

Nothing fancy, can get away with a much less expensive caliper and dies to start (the mititoyu was 120 bucks, dies are all over). But I use everything I have and the only thing I'm missing is a case trimmer.

Of course now I have a whole nother bunch of newfangled things I NEED (want).

Bare bones loading kit
1. A good set of SS calipers, Dillon has a nice pair for about 30.00 I think. I wouldn't buy anything for this hobby at Harbor Freight, just sayin'
2. Priming tool, Lee, RCBS or Sinclair. They all work, just depends on how much you want to spend.
3. Basic press, you can buy a used press for 25.00 or so, or new ones for 250.00+
4. Dies, depending on caliber and rifle type, bolt or semi auto. A little Imperial sizing wax will treat you right.
5. A powder thrower/scale.
6. Some kind of case cleaner, either a tumbler with corn cob, or the new trend is SS media, or just some cloth with a little Flitz.
7. Bullets, brass, powder and primers.
8. One of the most important, a Handloading manual! I stopped looking up data for one of my cheap skate friends, it can be looked up on most powder brands web sites.
9. Time, if your in a rush or tired, don't load. I do a little at a time, and label everything. You may forget where you are after a few weeks, so take your time.

Some of my buddies have all the latest gadgets, and some don't, they all roll their own, and have a great time doing it, so enjoy, J