• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Barnes TTSX Seating Depth Help 30-06 168gr

BigBlue&Goldie

Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
Arizona....land of the free
Gents,

I'm getting started on a new hunting load for the season, but could use some advice. I'm starting out with a ladder based on Barnes' recomended load range of 46-50gr of IMR 4064. Coincidentally, I'm also using their recomended brand of Winchester virgin brass and trim length of 2.484". The issue I'm having is where to seat the bullets?

Using a Sinclair comparator and Hornady OAL guage, I got a very consistent OAL of 3.385" to the lands. If I factor in .020" jump, I get an OAL of 3.365". Here's my issue, Barnes recommends an OAL of 3.218", which gives me a jump of .167"!

Given that huge difference, I have no idea where to start my seating depth at? Any tips or advice? This is my first time using the TTSX bullets. If it helps, my rifle is a 30-06 Vanguard that has shot facotry ammo MOA fairly consistantly.

Thanks!

Re: Barnes TTSX Seating Depth Help 30-06 168gr

Well I have a load right now that is just awesome in my 30-06 using the 168 TSX's. I'm using 57.5grs. H4350,and getting 1/2 moa. First load the Barnes .050" off the lands to start. If your using IMR 4064 you will find a good node around 48.5 -50grs. max.

Make sure to clean the bore very good. Don't shoot lead copper jacket bullets with Barnes TSX. Barnes says not to mix the two, can cause accuracy problems. Once you shoot copper, continue to shoot copper including foulers. Hope this helps.

Cool, thanks for the help. I did some more digging on the web, and others confirm that .o5" off the lands is a good starting point.

I had never heard that about the mixing the bullets; since I'm using a virgin bag of 50 cases, I will probably save 10 for sighters/foulers.

Here's some more Barnes info:

Tips

Achieving optimum accuracy with Barnes all-copper bullets.

1) Thoroughly clean your barrel with an aggressive copper remover (Barnes CR-10 or Sweets 7.62). Our all-copper Triple Shock X Bullet is made of a softer material than used in conventional jacketed bullets. Be sure to clean any jacket fouling from your barrel before you shoot TSX Bullets. We’ve found that jacket fouling diminishes accuracy with our bullets.

2) Because TSX Bullets are all-copper, they have different pressure characteristics compared to conventional jacketed bullets. In our lab, we have experienced best pressures and accuracy when TSX Bullets are seated .030″ – .070″ off the lands (the grooves or rifling in a barrel.) The majority of the time, we’ve seen optimum accuracy when bullets are seated .050″ off the lands, so start there. Then move backward or forward in .005″ – .010″ increments to find the “sweet spot” for your particular rifle.

Try using a lighter weight bullet.

Because the TSX Bullet retains nearly 100 percent of its original weight and penetrates so well, many shooters select a lighter-weight TSX Bullet over a heavier conventional bullet. The lighter TSX Bullet delivers higher velocites and a flatter trajectory, and outperforms heavier bullets of conventional design

Also:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/information/bullet-talk/faq/

Is your OAL from ogive to base and theirs measured from meplat to base. .030-.050 is where I think they recommend starting. I has worked for me.

Barnes recommends .030 to .070" off the lands. My .300 WSM does best with 168 TSX at .050. Now, my Remington 700 has a very short throat, probably much shorter than yours. See what your max magazine length is and how that compares to seating depth and try some. The worst that could happen is you have to seat some deaper and try again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limbic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your OAL from ogive to base and theirs measured from meplat to base. .030-.050 is where I think they recommend starting. I has worked for me. </div></div>

I used my OAL guage to measure my OAL to the ogive.........but I assume their measurment was meplat OAL, which is what I listed in my post (my meplat OAL was within .001" for the 4 bullets I used to measure). I ended up seating them .050" off the lands.