• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing barrel 'choice'

25IA260

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2009
NC
ok thinking of a rebarrel job on a 700.. i've thought 6m br but have been reading about the 30 br an sounds very interesting.. what has attracted me is the life of the barrel they say 5~6000 rnds ?
which brings me to the question .. would you go with a chrome moly or stainless considering the cost diff"" verses life ?

Re: barrel 'choice'

The life difference in a ChM barrel vs. Stainless in the 30Br would not, IMO, be worth the extra cost. I doubt there's going to be much difference at all.

A ChM barrel in 308 should see 5-8k worth of sub MOA life depending on what velocities and powders you shoot. The 30BR should see better than that.

Re: barrel 'choice'

i have a 700 maybe 5~600 rnds young but not 100% happy with it i also have a 700 bdl older gun i mite buy just as a doner i'm not sure whether i want to pull mine an cut the coast or use the doner .. one way or another i'd like to do 30BR
a few more tests on mine an then i'll think on it

thanks for the reply
smile.gif