• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel for a 300 RUM?

valhalla ss

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2007
I'm ready to pick up a barrel for my 300 RUM 700 build. I would like to buy either a Douglas XX or Shilen because I can get a good deal on them through Brownells with my C&R. Would either of these be better than the other? Are they good quality? The stainless barrels are about $60 more than the CM barrels, what are the advantages of stainless?

Re: Barrel for a 300 RUM?

They are both excellent barrels.I have used several of each with "all you could ask" results.
If you're building a 300 RUM, make it heavy, as they kick like a lightening bolt. I bought a standard 700 when the 300 RUM first came out, fired it 7 times and took it back. Horrible fast kick.
I have a 300 H&H, 375 H&H and 400 H&H and can shoot them all day. The only thing I ever shot that kicked worse than the RUM was my 10 bore 24" Browning BPS with 2 ounce deerslugs.
It'll make a nice 12 pound rifle with a 28" barrel! (a modern clone of my Model 70 300 H&H Bullgun!)
Good shooting

I would get the stainless model of whichever you choose.

Lack of rust being the main reason.

If it were mine and I wasn't too invested in RUM gear, I would consider going to a Win Mag.

A re barrel would be the perfect oppertunity.

I would lean towards the Douglas XX in stainless.... The stainless is more
resistant to corrosion and erosion than chrome-moly steel...

I have had 300 RUM's with CM barrels and also believe that throat erosion
occurred more rapidly than the RUM's I have with stainless barrels... These
were factory tubes...YMMV...

Aftermarket tubes... I roll with either a Rock or Pac-Nor...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chdohert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have just got my first 300 rum in a rem 700 with a lite 26 inch . I haven't fired a shot yet , I am in for a nasty surprise by the sounds. </div></div>
I wouldn't let Humbles post carry to much weight if I were you...

It was a "Lame" attempt at yet another plug for his H&H rifles and nothing more...

Unless you are recoil sensative you should be fine... I have a REM 700
300 RUM with Lightweight Pac-Nor barrel and a Manners MCS-SL stock....
with base ,rings and an Old Leupy 3.5-10 it weighs in just below 7.5 lbs
and recoil is very manageable...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chdohert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have just got my first 300 rum in a rem 700 with a lite 26 inch . I haven't fired a shot yet , I am in for a nasty surprise by the sounds. </div></div>

I recently got the chance to shoot a 300 RUM, factory sporter weight bbl in a syn stock with the factory brake.

Piece of cake. It's not the monster that some would make it out to be.
grin.gif
You'll be fine. I found it quite easy to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a REM 700 300 RUM with Lightweight Pac-Nor barrel and a Manners MCS-SL stock. with base ,rings and an Old Leupy 3.5-10 it weighs in just below 7.5 lbs
and <span style="font-weight: bold">recoil is very manageable...</span> </div></div>

Your a bad muthafuka is all I'm going to say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a REM 700 300 RUM with Lightweight Pac-Nor barrel and a Manners MCS-SL stock. with base ,rings and an Old Leupy 3.5-10 it weighs in just below 7.5 lbs
and <span style="font-weight: bold">recoil is very manageable...</span> </div></div>

Your a bad muthafuka is all I'm going to say. </div></div>

LMAO... I didn't say I would want to shoot 100 rds. per session but it is manageable for about 40 -50....

After that things do get a little tender...
grin.gif

Recoil will be cumulative. The first 5 you will say "that isn't that bad", aroound #15 you will say "it is starting to get annoying" and by round 25 you will pack it up and save it for another day.
I never shot a 300 RUM but that is the way it is w/ my 300 Wby.

I prefer S/S over CM. However, make sure your grade of barrel is lapped if you get S/S. If not, be prepared to fire lap it. S/S finishes out a little rougher and will foul real easy if not lapped.

Between the 2 choices, I would go w/ Shilen. If my choices were unlimited I would go with Pac-Nor or Kreiger.

i got a 300 RUM in 2000, Remington 700, Sendero SF, put a muzzle brake on it in '02 and it is nice to shoot all day now, just EXTREMELY LOUD!! but, it has dropped everything i have ever shot with it!! loves 180 gr TBBC and 200 gr Accubond, if you want to hunt with it....in fact i will let it go it you want to offer something...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valhalla ss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm ready to pick up a barrel for my 300 RUM 700 build. I would like to buy either a Douglas XX or Shilen because I can get a good deal on them through Brownells with my C&R. Would either of these be better than the other? Are they good quality? The stainless barrels are about $60 more than the CM barrels, what are the advantages of stainless?</div></div>

Vallhalla- while their dealer prices are not the greatest, Midway also honors C&R's at dealer prices and has more brands/contours to choose from if this helps....
As far as CM / SS, rust protection of the bore is not the only advantage, it also machines better......
Hope this helps....