• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Barrel recontouring

woodrow

Trying to figure it out
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2010
Ca
Hey guys,
Anyone know of any smiths in the Los Angeles area, or in general that will do barrel recontouring? Is it even a good idea to do that? I've had AR barrels turned down but I don't know if it's a good idea for a bolt gun. A friend and a smith have told me to just sell it and get a new barrel, but I want to see if I can make what I have work. Thanks guys!

Ive been told by a very reputable barrele maker that you do not contour a barrel after it is rifled. Yes it can be done. But you run the risk of loosing accuracy. By the time you have it done, you could prob get a new barrel in the contour you desire.

Most barrels are contoured after rifling and stress relieving. I order straight 1.25 diameter blanks and taper/contour them. They shoot good.

I think Krieger and Hawk Hill contour before rifling, but most others contour after rifling.

Regardless, it is very time consuming to recontour a barrel on a manual lathe. I have done it. If someone asked me to quote them a price I'd probably want $200. This is why they told you to sell it and buy a new one.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *