• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

barrel swap question for my stevens200

bryan308ftw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2010
Is it possible to purchase the heavy barrel found in the savage 10fp to put in my stevens 200, i have a b&c medalist tac. stock. I'm having difficulty finding the barrel part #. any advice would be great

Re: barrel swap question for my stevens200

its a 308, and id like the 308 barrel found in the 10fp

check out savageshooters.com
Northlander will be able to help you out.
Check out the sponsors classifieds.

Yeah but you might as well get a custom barrel. Walter makes a good custom barrel for $289.00 in either 24" or 26".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bryan308ftw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">diy friendly? </div></div>

All savages are diy friendly. I think you can do it yourself with a set of headspace gauges.

Savages ft dubs!
wink.gif

That Walther barrel is the Savage factory varmint profile, which is the one on the 10fp, so pick the length you want and do the install yourself. Take rockz's advice and check out savageshooters.com if you have not done so already; that would be the best place to find the answers to your questions. Good luck.

the factory diameter for the 10fp is .840. just dbl chkd.

Get the 10 twist barrel and one of these action wrenches.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=288765

I swap the barrel on my M12 Savage with a large crescent wrench, a clamp on vise and the barrel nut wrench.

I can do it at the range in 5 mins. You don't need a headspace gauge to swap it, just a dummy round that hasn't been fired.

I made a dummy 204 Ruger and 223 out of new factory brass, pulled the bullet, popped the primer in the rifle, drilled 2 holes through the case wall, and stuffed a bullet back in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bryan308ftw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do you guys think of this barrel?

http://www.eabco.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=127-SV308

a 1-12 twist @ 26'' long or a walther stainless steel 24'' w/ a 1-10twist </div></div>

Get the Walther if you are going to spend that amount of money. Nothing against eabco but they aren't exactly the best when it comes to product quality (from what I've bought before), and they aren't always the cheapest. Spend the extra $15 or so dollars and get the sure thing (Walther). For .308 even the 24" is on the long side, if you do want a shorter barrel, you can ask Walther while ordering if they can cut and recrown at your specified length. 18" or 20" will be just fine with that 1-10 twist.

If you want to spend a little less than the Walther, contact Northlander on www.savageshooters.com for a McGowen or Shilen prefit barrel in the varmint or heavy contour.

I think I read somewhere that the barrels used on the newer Accustocked models are not the same as those used on the older Model 10/110 and have a different measurement here and there. Make sure you ask someone who knows for sure if you buy a factory or take-off.

I think an aftermarket like Douglas or McGowan makes more sense, though, like others here. That's what will be going on my FCPK when it is shot out (which won't be long at the rate I'm shooting it
laugh.gif
).