• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Barrett 50bmg suppressor

bronzepig

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
independence
has anyone used the barrett suppressor mad for the 107 and adapter kit available for the 82; my SOT supposedly placed order for 2 at shot show; onf for each of use but hasn't arrived yet. really wanting to suppress the beast. Know it wont be ear safe but shooting on my farm at 1k yrds just like to be kinder to the neighbors. Any feedback?

Re: Barrett 50bmg suppressor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronzepig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll look at that, is the elite iron better or worse? </div></div>

Worse than the AWC.

The AAC Cyclops is pretty damn cool to. But its heavy @ 5 pounds. I have one on my 510 Battleship rifle that is being built right now. Nice thing is the muzzle device that it uses.... very nice with recoil reduction.

I have a turbodyne and have been very impressed. I do not feel the need for hearing protection.

thanks for the help lot to ponder when it comes to that much gas expansion with 220 grains of powder plus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AAC Cyclops is pretty damn cool to. But its heavy @ 5 pounds. I have one on my 510 Battleship rifle that is being built right now. </div></div>

Is this one of the lightweight match guns you're moving to after you got bit by the bug in the precision class!?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronzepig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">has anyone used the barrett suppressor mad for the 107 and adapter kit available for the 82; my SOT supposedly placed order for 2 at shot show; onf for each of use but hasn't arrived yet. really wanting to suppress the beast. Know it wont be ear safe but shooting on my farm at 1k yrds just like to be kinder to the neighbors. Any feedback?</div></div>

Just talked to Barrett today, they have not produced any for the civilian market yet. Going to be 90-120 days. PM for best pricing if your still want one.

From test I have seen the AWC was not hearing safe. Unless they have redone the internals, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Midwestside</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AAC Cyclops is pretty damn cool to. But its heavy @ 5 pounds. I have one on my 510 Battleship rifle that is being built right now. </div></div>

Is this one of the lightweight match guns you're moving to after you got bit by the bug in the precision class!?
laugh.gif

</div></div>

510 is a medium range subsonic rifle......
smirk.gif

I have aac cyclopse on tac-50 and do not wear plugs not sure what to compare the sound to but does not seem to bother my ears.

My pick for the 107 would be the Ops Inc 3rd model for the 50. I have shot the Cyclops and Ops Inc suppressors right next to one another, no doubt the Ops Inc suppresses much better then the AAC.

Bp, you are not going to find one that is.

You have been given a couple of great names. Remember accuracy is as important as suppression.

There is no need for a 6 1/2 pound suppressor anymore.

clean50.jpg

Doesnt really matter how much that damn thing weights when its a stationary rifle system. You are not cracking off shots then running 2 miles in the hills.

Go with what you can afford and most importantly.... find IN STOCK.

AWC is slow to get product out.

I saw the Barrett one a shot not sure what the price was running on that one. Check out this one made by HTG it has a muzzle brake a the end of it to help with the recoil and well as the sound suppresion. I have one on order and am chomping at the bit to get it and get to the range. Th .50 is fun to shoot but it is so obnoxious.

http://www.htgsilencers.com/Products/Suppressors/Rifle_Suppressors/?ProductID=367

"The new Hercules also incorporates a muzzle break, not usually present with other 50 BMG suppressors. The muzzle break helps tame the recoil that a sound suppressor, on a 50 BMG alone can't do. It also enables it to run effectively on the semi-auto 50 BMG rifles."

I, I....hang on...

"The new Hercules also incorporates a muzzle break, not usually present with other 50 BMG suppressors. The muzzle break helps tame the recoil that a sound suppressor, on a 50 BMG alone can't do. It also enables it to run effectively on the semi-auto 50 BMG rifles."

Yep, that is what it says all right. Ahdra, plug up for every shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The new Hercules also incorporates a muzzle break, not usually present with other 50 BMG suppressors. The muzzle break helps tame the recoil that a sound suppressor, on a 50 BMG alone can't do. It also enables it to run effectively on the semi-auto 50 BMG rifles."

I, I....hang on...

Yep, that is what it says all right. Ahdra, plug up for every shot. </div></div>

Sorry for being an FNG at this posting on forum stuff, I general just enjoy going to the range and doing things for real instead of talking about it online. But I am very excited to get my new suppressor and thought I would share this companies info since I did not see anyone mention it yet. Sorry that I do not stand up to your ecpectations as a poster, I hope that I can do better in the future. That you will not have to waste your time reading one of my useless posts and even worse having to take time to write a snide comment in reply. Since I guess we met and you know everything about me, Sorry I do not remeber you. Have a good day though.

Snide, hardly. Completely baffled (no pun intended,) absolutely. Wanting to make sure you plug up? You bet.

Now if we set aside all the psycho babel for a moment, perhaps you too can understand why there are so very few suppressors with anything past the end cap. After all suppression has been around a loooong time and adding a brake would have been done literally decades ago..and wasn't. Why? Because a well designed suppressor has no energy of consequence left to do anything with at that very point that these folks are putting on a brake.

Think of it this way. The whole reason a suppressor works is because the internals are able to strip away the powerful gas jets that are right behind the projectile. These are the very same gas jets that, in an unsuppressed rifle, when they finally break out from behind the bullet at the crown, creates the vast majority of all firearm noise, the BLAST. The idea behind all of what we know in suppression? By using baffles, ablatives, redirects and chambers one strips those very same gasses off from behind the bullet, redirects them, slows them and allows all that resulting energy (in the form of heat) to dwell long enough inside the can that if and when those gasses do make it out the end cap <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">they have little to NO energy</span></span>. No energy at the end of the can, remember that.

How does an <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">effective</span></span> brake work? It needs considerable energy and a design that is "efficient." Efficient in this case means that the tolerances held within the brake can once again strip off those very same gasses and send them in a direction felt by the designer to cancel out recoil.

read here http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...171#Post3338171

and here http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...763#Post3415763

So why did that quote from the builder make absolutely no sense (except in one exception that we will cover)? Because THAT 50 cal design suggests that it has so much energy still left coming out of the can that it can be tapped in a final stage and make a difference in braking a .50. If it does, then plug up ahdra as that can is going to be loud, by design! You can have one or the other...suppression or braking (braking outside the can as all cans have some "braking" effect.) Besides the bullet mass effect I spoke about in the second link above is what makes the .50 recoil with a suppressor on and it is not going away with a post can brake.

Now I mentioned an exception. In some full auto designs, mostly all .223, a very well designed can used in a heavy fire schedule can be "over run." What that means is that the internal temperature inside the can rises to the point where those stripped gas jets can no longer find the means to slow down, dwell, dump heat. When that happens the suppression goes to hell in a handbasket and those gas jets come screaming out the end of the can. In tactical situations, full auto suppressor designers know that every can (with the exception of liquid cooled, yes they exist), if used hard enough will be over run. In the .223 FA's it is to be expected. So what do some designers do? Add a brake at the end? No....nobody adds a brake, they add a flash hider. The hider allows the operator in some situations to at least have some clandestine advantage. Your can has a brake design, not a flash hider design. And....in the .50...with all we know about suppression...that may be why you don't hear/read too much about this can.

Current can with "over run" flash suppression: http://www.silencerco.com/?section=Produ...tm_medium=email

So why my response after taking the time to follow your original link, read the materials and report back? Well, aside from not realizing the importance of this can to you, personally. My response was....ahdra, plug up on every round. I would also tell you that a great .50 suppressor is quieter than an unsupressed .22lr. As you are new to the Hide (and did much better than I did on my first post...I was banned) I hope you relax and enjoy the give-n-take around here. Welcome to the Hide, nice to see you again.