• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein Barrels Update

Nobody tends to like the sound of their own voice recorded. Sounds wrong. I think it's because we have the resonances in our head that we don't hear.

It's nice to hear voices to get to know the persons accent and cadences of speech. That way when you read what people write if you get to know their voice well enough you can hear it in their voice. Just like this.
View attachment 7976252

Would love to hear more explaining about barrels and barrel making.

What do the cut rifling chips look like? Machinist here.

It was said that Patton had a high pitched, squeaky voice that he hated. In public speeches he lowered the pitch on purpose.

On the other hand, if he was pissed at you, the ass chewing that you got sounded like it was from an X-rated Don Knotts.

I wouldn't call good compensation, benefits and culture (which doesn't cost anything) upscale. If those small small businesses can't afford basic things like those then it sounds like they have a bad business model and either shouldn't be in business or shouldn't be hiring employees.
Have you met people in this industry?

What do the cut rifling chips look like? Machinist here.
Thanks!

I’ll try and take a couple pics next week.

Chips can range from what looks like fine powder to actually looking like a ribbon. If you could iron out the ribbons they would be the length of the groove.

Depends on the material and type of material and how heavy of a cut your taking also.

Thanks!

I’ll try and take a couple pics next week.

Chips can range from what looks like fine powder to actually looking like a ribbon. If you could iron out the ribbons they would be the length of the groove.

Depends on the material and type of material and how heavy of a cut your taking also.
Next question, what do you do with the chips? (This is Not a loaded question, jsut curious)

There's another thread over in semiauto. If you want a Bartlein barrel for an M1A or a Garand, go read the thread or email Bartlein with what you want.

Since this thread has been all over the place, and Frank is in the house... I got some new pots and pans over Xmas - slick like the stuff on the bottom of Clark Griswold's flying saucer. It's highly polished titanium, bonded to a stainless core. I couldn't help to think about a barrel lined with this stuff. Check it out.

Since this thread has been all over the place, and Frank is in the house... I got some new pots and pans over Xmas - slick like the stuff on the bottom of Clark Griswold's flying saucer. It's highly polished titanium, bonded to a stainless core. I couldn't help to think about a barrel lined with this stuff. Check it out.

That scene in Christmas Vacation where he goes down the hill on that saucer....that was frickin priceless! You knew as soon as he sat on that dam thing something stupid was gonna happen! I laughed my ass off!

Now to serious business....

See the attached pic below. S Line Nano Coating. So far on the few pieces I've seen....seems to be a serious thing to take a look at. Only on the few pieces I've seen. Seems to be cleaning easier/fouling less and looks like it might help barrel life. Again though...I've only seen like 3 barrels done with it to my knowledge. A couple of shooters that we make stuff for are having more barrels done as I type this. Dave in the shop I think has a barrel being made and he's gonna have his done as well.

I'll be seeing two of the shooters on Feb. 13th and can talk to them personally about it.

1674067626408.jpeg

Anodized for gay pride :ROFLMAO: Seriously, that is so awesome - I thought the pans were a gimmick until I handled one... and then threw it on the fire - the polished Ti is like Teflon but without the texture and the cancer. Gotta wonder if it helps out with velocity as well - perhaps even rifling sharpness...

• Haha
Reactions: LRRPF52
That scene in Christmas Vacation where he goes down the hill on that saucer....that was frickin priceless! You knew as soon as he sat on that dam thing something stupid was gonna happen! I laughed my ass off!

See the attached pic below. S Line Nano Coating. So far on the few pieces I've seen....seems to be a serious thing to take a look at. Only on the few pieces I've seen. Seems to be cleaning easier/fouling less and looks like it might help barrel life. Again though...I've only seen like 3 barrels done with it to my knowledge. A couple of shooters that we make stuff for are having more barrels done as I type this. Dave in the shop I think has a barrel being made and he's gonna have his done as well.

I'll be seeing two of the shooters on Feb. 13th and can talk to them personally about it.

View attachment 8051050
previous life i spoke to them about s-line at 2020 shot

looked very promising...and then we know what happened

we called it rainbow coating.. lol

they also had a super slick black for action internals and BCG's that we send a few actions to get coated

sales rep (hes gone now) fucked it up so bad it was ridiculous...then when it came for round 2 later on in the year..we know what happened

Reactions: waveslayer
previous life i spoke to them about s-line at 2020 shot

looked very promising...and then we know what happened

we called it rainbow coating.. lol

they also had a super slick black for action internals and BCG's that we send a few actions to get coated

sales rep (hes gone now) fucked it up so bad it was ridiculous...then when it came for round 2 later on in the year..we know what happened
What happened?

I ordered my Bartline barrel like Frank said long before I needed it and it came sooner than expected. This isn’t always true but it seems if it’s easy to get it’s not worth getting.

View attachment 8051050

What up sir? So what exactly is the coatings function and where all is it applied? Can it be done to any barrel like any other coating or is there more to it than that? This looks super cool. What did your guy say about it that you met with on the 13th?

What up sir? So what exactly is the coatings function and where all is it applied? Can it be done to any barrel like any other coating or is there more to it than that? This looks super cool. What did your guy say about it that you met with on the 13th?
I don’t know enough about it yet.

I‘m seeing the guys on Feb. 13th which is in my previous post. Not Jan. 13th. So you have to wait a few weeks yet.

From what I’ve seen it’s applied to the inside of the barrel as well as the outside of the barrel.

I‘m seeing the guys on Feb. 13th which is in my previous post. Not Jan. 13th. So you have to wait a few weeks yet.

From what I’ve seen it’s applied to the inside of the barrel as well as the outside of the barrel.
Oh my bad, I had Jan 13th in my little brain...

Ok cool, I figured it would have to be in the inside of the barrel to effect barrel life but that rainbow looking color on the outside I guess is it as well. Anywho, please do let us know when you know more. Thanks for the info

Reactions: Charlie112
I am still going to put an order in soon no hurry just make your usual great quality and it's all good

it just makes getting a new one that much better .

Reactions: DIBBS
That would be worth a lot just to have a barrel be super easy to clean
That’s what I‘m hearing and seen pictures of….I just personally have not had my hands on one and shot and played with it.

The guys I’m seeing on the 13th of Feb have a couple and a couple more in the works. I should be able to see the guns personally and hoping to bore scope a couple of the barrels as well.

That’s what I‘m hearing and seen pictures of….I just personally have not had my hands on one and shot and played with it.

The guys I’m seeing on the 13th of Feb have a couple and a couple more in the works. I should be able to see the guns personally and hoping to bore scope a couple of the barrels as well.
Now we are talking! Can't wait to hear about this!

So, I’m guessing that you aren’t going to Quantico on Feb 13th?

Yes still going. A couple of the guys there are shooting in PRS matches and had the coating done to a couple of barrels. One guy is retiring this year and we just made him a couple more barrels.
@Frank Green

I'm really late to the conversation Frank, but the Quantico Shooting Club is hosting USPSA Saturday and Sunday, and maybe 1,000 on Sunday on R4. If you're bored in the hotel, let me know and I'd be happy to say hello and bring you out if you'd like. And, of course, this is selfish, but just to shake your hand and say hello would be an honor. /butt kissing off...:)

Reactions: Frank Green
@Frank Green

I'm really late to the conversation Frank, but the Quantico Shooting Club is hosting USPSA Saturday and Sunday, and maybe 1,000 on Sunday on R4. If you're bored in the hotel, let me know and I'd be happy to say hello and bring you out if you'd like. And, of course, this is selfish, but just to shake your hand and say hello would be an honor. /butt kissing off...:)
PM sent

Reactions: Defender3
Is lead time still around 10-12 months?

The lead time for the badger m2013 is about 2 years right now, so I guess I can wait.

Not to bash but there are much better actions out there with less lead time, what is your build/purpose?
Appreciate that. I’m not a competition shooter, but I’ve been shooting 300 prc for a bit now. The action on my rifle is real sticky and is the antithesis to what I would call smooth. So I was going to build my own, the terminus Kratos is the one I have my eyes set on, however now I’m considering buying a used AXMC in 338 and just having a new barrel made and grabbing a new bolt to keep shooting 300 prc.

Nice mal btw.

Appreciate that. I’m not a competition shooter, but I’ve been shooting 300 prc for a bit now. The action on my rifle is real sticky and is the antithesis to what I would call smooth. So I was going to build my own, the terminus Kratos is the one I have my eyes set on, however now I’m considering buying a used AXMC in 338 and just having a new barrel made and grabbing a new bolt to keep shooting 300 prc.

Nice mal btw.
Thanks, She passed in 2021 at 11 years old, literally fought till the end and nipped me after being sedated one last time as I held her at the vets office.

Hell yeah an AXMC is not a bad choice, heck for $900 check out one of American rifle co's Coupe De Grace.

Reactions: CEO10KaDAY
Anecdote

I placed an order from one through Southern Precision on April 21. It arrived Aug 2.
Greg and Russ don’t list the BB blanks separately anymore, guess I’ll give them a ring. Thanks!

View attachment 8051050
I need this for the two Gt’s builds I have going. Who is doing the coating sorry if I missed it.

What’s the present lead time on Mod BB blanks?

8 months for a CFW LHGT Mod BB, ordered direct in July

edit - see franks post right above

Update - received 5 months early! I may have gotten lucky (due to a cancellation or ...?), but Bartlein really underpromised on the delivery schedule.

Thrilled I'll have this for NRL Hunter... I'm just waiting on the Manners now.

Last edited:

View attachment 8051050
Any updates on this coating?

Gonna post this here because the bolt gun forum gets the most views. Dear Forum Moderator, If you need to move this post to another forum that is more appropriate please do so.

I/We post on SH quite a bit. So I figured I should make a post about this.

Just want to be up front and honest with everyone here. We are telling customers the same thing on the phone.

Depending on what you are ordering and when you order it....lead times can be as long as 10-12 months right now.

Some guys (not necessarily anyone from the Hide) when we've told them this they have gone off on us on the phone about it. So we are taking a beating at times but I want everyone to understand that we are all in this boat together. Ammunition and bullet makers etc...are backed up, gun manufacturers are backed up, action makers, stock makers and scope manufacturers.

I won't name the ammo maker but we have had some ammo on order since May of 2020 and I cannot get a delivery date/time frame. We're not mad at them....it is what it is.

We've been helping out individual customers to manufacturers to ammo makers etc...when they/you have an emergency that won't change. We do what we can / when we can.

I know of other barrel makers lead times are out pretty far as well. So it's not just us.

I'm also asking and I will use this as an example...a guy wins a barrel gift certificate at a match. Calls in to redeem the certificate and order the barrel. He was told 10 months. He went off on my office guy about it and demanded the barrel should be done next month. So don't put anyone in front of the firing squad for this. Free or not....we are doing what we can to take care of everyone in a timely fashion.

I don't care what you are buying and from whom....barrels, scopes, ammo etc....guys please do your best to plan ahead and plan for the worst case scenario. If you burn up 4 barrels a year in matches and only have one brand new spare left....get it on order. Regardless of where you get it from. If your planning on building a new rifle right now and already have the stock and action and barrel on order and will need a scope for it.... don't wait...get the scope on order as well.

I don't for see things getting any better anytime soon for any of us. Like I said, "We're all in the same boat!"

Pretty much the whole shop here is working 55 to 60+ hours a week. This next pay period....just between 3 guys in the shop they have a 153 hours of overtime alone! That's in a two week period and that isn't a typo!

I've also been asked and will put it out here as well..."Are we o.k. on steel?" The answer is yes! No steel shortages. We have orders scheduled into 2022 already. Nothing is holding us up from making barrels. Just not enough hours in the week!

Any questions please feel free to call. If you post a question here I'll answer it the best I can and as quick as I can but keep in mind...I don't log in everyday.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
I know this is an old thread, but the topic hasnt changed much. Just Ordered a New barrel , threaded but now chambered 338 LM. I went a lot of places and read 10 tons of info on lead times etc. someone asking for a New Barrel in a month is boggling to me. They were more than honest about time frames, and this was Jan 24, 6mos to a year due to quality work adding to the order infux and even to go as far as to call me back couple days ago to make sure of my order specs. a Month ?? On that Planet ??
Keep up the Great CS Guys, Dis Old Man Appreciates ya !

I know this is an old thread, but the topic hasnt changed much. Just Ordered a New barrel , threaded but now chambered 338 LM. I went a lot of places and read 10 tons of info on lead times etc. someone asking for a New Barrel in a month is boggling to me. They were more than honest about time frames, and this was Jan 24, 6mos to a year due to quality work adding to the order infux and even to go as far as to call me back couple days ago to make sure of my order specs. a Month ?? On that Planet ??
Keep up the Great CS Guys, Dis Old Man Appreciates ya !
Most of us here know that you can have one in a month or maybe two, from at least one of their vendors. Anybody ordering direct from bartlein today is doing it wrong, period.

Most of us here know that you can have one in a month or maybe two, from at least one of their vendors. Anybody ordering direct from bartlein today is doing it wrong, period.
IM surprised, I went an ordered it solely because of the crazy lead times I was getting on the phone. Maybe they just didnt want to sell to me or figured I wasnt serious about buying anything. Wouldnt be my first rodeo with that crap.
Much appreciate yer response, sheds light on deeper issues.
Savage 110 LRH 338 LM would like a 27-28 in barrel New flat finish no shiny stuff. threaded for brake, minimum taper heavy Varmint, Point em to me, build is done. currently still dressed in the un-shot factory barrel.
Forgot to mention, because mine is a blank if I remember correctly, told me within a couple months only needed threading as the chamber will be done later. here a pic of the rifle they dont think Im actually working on if thats da case. Im still grinning cuz Its my Bucket list.

Attachments

• 338 lm2.jpg
    338 lm2.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 338lm1.jpg
    338lm1.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
No i ain't doing it wrong by having them cut the chamber and screwing it on.