• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein BB steel barrel, wearing one out...

what makes these barrels better? I don’t doubt that they are I just am curious as to why?

yes seriously not all of us have tons of experience with this stuff and some of us are trying to learn
Not an engineer or metalurgist. Just somebody who has machined all kinds of crap.

There are all kinds of different alloys of steel. Each has varying amounts of different alloying elements. Each of those elements does different things. We don't know what is different in the MOD400BB other than that it is a modified 400 series stainless steel.

And deersnipers assessment of it being a harder steel isn't necessarily true. There are all sorts of ways to make something better for an application other that making it harder.

Here is a quick rundown of some alloying elements.

Reactions: moosemeat
i have one of these chambered in 6BRA and according to my smith it did not cut much different than stainless...he said it just cut different...MAYBE slightly harder but not a huge difference.

Are the wait times for MOD400BB the same as regular?
Yes no different.

I just cut orders for some ammunition test barrels that they want out of the BB material as well. I'm running the lead times for those as the same as normal test barrels. So again, caliber, twist, type of steel....lead times are not any different. Just that busy!

Last edited:
Reactions: S3th
Yes no different.

I just cut orders for some ammunition test barrels that they want out of the BB material as well. I'm running the lead times for those as the same as normal test barrels. So again, caliber, twist, type of steel....lead times are not any different. Just that busy!
Frank, I’ve never actually ordered a barrel directly from your website. Do I have to call to place an order?

Not sure how relevant it is but , Well I have been thoroughly impressed so far by my Bartlein m24 contoured barrel chambered in 1/8twist 26'' 6.5 creedmoor , I heard numbers from people at the range and online about 1500 - 4k round barrel life I am more shocked that now over 6k its still doing so well . So if you work for that company allow me to send my thanks for a wonderful product . I had sticker shock at first but have had a wonderful time shooting it that could one of the reason I recently ordered another and can hardly wait for its arrival .

any experience with one of these in a 223 yet? Seems like a great DMR option and won’t have to worry about replacing it for a good long while.

Yes no different.

With my full and extremely personal understanding that supply chain and labor are #*(#@%#@ right now, would you mind updating on how your lead time estimates from earlier in the year are holding up? IE, I called ya'll on January 4, was quoted ~10mo for a MODBB 6.5 LHGT, and got paperwork on January 6. Is that 10mo still accurate, or what kind of slip could I expect?

(Not like I'm likely to wear my current barrel out any time soon, since I can't !(@*^&$ find ammo either...)

With my full and extremely personal understanding that supply chain and labor are #*(#@%#@ right now, would you mind updating on how your lead time estimates from earlier in the year are holding up? IE, I called ya'll on January 4, was quoted ~10mo for a MODBB 6.5 LHGT, and got paperwork on January 6. Is that 10mo still accurate, or what kind of slip could I expect?

(Not like I'm likely to wear my current barrel out any time soon, since I can't !(@*^&$ find ammo either...)
I'm still saying lead times are holding the same. So I'm not predicting any major changes. Labor wise we have a great crew overall. Yes I know some are burnt out on the overtime but everyone is in good spirits and plugging away...just a little tired.

Good luck on the ammo! I was in our local Cablea's this past Saturday and they had like 40 boxes of 6CM (I know your barrel is a 6.5mm). Limit on the ammo was 5 boxes per customer regardless of the type you bought...it was 5 boxes total. The 6CM ammo on the shelf was priced at $39.99 a box

Reactions: gnochi
The shop hasn't slowed down for the summer, and I'm in the middle of some travel periods- so I haven't shot much.
Today I'm at 3720 rounds. Conditions were calm but friggin hot, sun is setting and glaring in my eyes. Ive disposed the old brass and starting with new brass to eliminate variables. OnLy shot (4) three shot groups but they averaged over 2" at 400y. I'm getting a flyer here and there, two in one out.
I will shoot again to see how it does- I didn't have any bad breaks or called shots. But if I was going on gut feeling I'd say this barrel is done or real near done

I shot in better conditions today, shot (10) three shot groups at 400y
My average over all groups was 2.18"
So Based on the previously mentioned criteria, I'll say this barrel is done.
Total round count fired through this barrel is 3750 rounds

My opinion of this steel is quite positive. If I showed you a borescope image of the throat you would probably throw up in your mouth. But as mentioned before, regardless of bore appearance, chronograph data, or round count, the target should be the biggest deciding factor.

Turning and reaming these barrels has been very similar to standard 416R. Chip formation is slightly different but we can see these variations from brand to brand. I've fluted one or two of these, and that was a bit more difficult then turning.

All in all, I think the additional cost of the blank can easily be offset by savings in gunsmithing costs and increased barrel life. I'm quite curious to see more data for other applications; including 223/308, hot magnums, etc. kind of a tough time to gen longevity testing barrels, but I thing this steel is quite promising...

My opinion of this steel is quite positive. If I showed you a borescope image of the throat you would probably throw up in your mouth. But as mentioned before, regardless of bore appearance, chronograph data, or round count, the target should be the biggest deciding factor.

Turning and reaming these barrels has been very similar to standard 416R. Chip formation is slightly different but we can see these variations from brand to brand. I've fluted one or two of these, and that was a bit more difficult then turning.

All in all, I think the additional cost of the blank can easily be offset by savings in gunsmithing costs and increased barrel life. I'm quite curious to see more data for other applications; including 223/308, hot magnums, etc. kind of a tough time to gen longevity testing barrels, but I thing this steel is quite promising...
Thanks for all of your info and time

I'll get a update tonight from a retired USMC Scout Sniper and PRS shooter. We've become pretty good friends about 12 years ago. He is running a BB material barrel in 6CM. He will give me exact round count tonight but it is past 2k rounds. No velocity loss and he says stupid accurate. He will run that barrel in the Barrel Maker Classic this weekend.

I'll update you all with round count tomorrow.

I'll get a update tonight from a retired USMC Scout Sniper and PRS shooter. We've become pretty good friends about 12 years ago. He is running a BB material barrel in 6CM. He will give me exact round count tonight but it is past 2k rounds. No velocity loss and he says stupid accurate. He will run that barrel in the Barrel Maker Classic this weekend.

Have you done any in a 223 yet?

Have you done any in a 223 yet?
offhand I know we have but don't know where any are at as of right now barrel life wise. I think Brady has one on one of his service rifles. He will be back in later on Wednesday and I'll ask him.

I know John Whidden has one on a bolt gun. The prior weekend he shot a 600-47X's in a match. He says that gun is going to Nationals. If your asking for round count...I don't have anything data wise on a 223 gun as of right now.

Wow . That's really something. The Super low round count is what's kept me out of the Super hot 6mm rounds. If I could get 2500 or more and no loss I'd probably pull the trigger on a 6cm gun

Does anyone know what is the "expected" round count on a 6XC?

Has anyone tried these on a bigger magnum? Or magnum 300 win mags 7 mag 300 prc ect?

Wow . That's really something. The Super low round count is what's kept me out of the Super hot 6mm rounds. If I could get 2500 or more and no loss I'd probably pull the trigger on a 6cm gun

I had been toying with the idea of a 6CM to shoot factory ammo with. Literally read this thread and ordered one.

I had been toying with the idea of a 6CM to shoot factory ammo with. Literally read this thread and ordered one.
Yeah, this thread is probably going to end up costing me a good bit of money.... Barrel... leads to new action, leads to new chassis, leads to new glass.... Leads to empty bank account

He's got 2055 on it. He will be shooting it all weekend. I'll talk to him at the match and see how the gun is running for him. He said he's not worried about how the gun will perform. He's shooting 115DTAC's thru it.

Any idea if the BB barrels tend to take longer to break in?
No difference than a standard barrel that I've seen.

I've got 4 now on guns. 6.5CM, 308W, 223 AR15, and just did a 6GT for my son. The 6GT hasn't been shot yet. Probably get around to shooting it sometime next week. We have brass prepped for his gun but have to load it up and have to mount a scope on his rifle as well.

I don't do a set break in anymore. Haven't for years. What I normally do is shoot two rounds thru the gun and clean the barrel. I look to see how it is cleaning. If it's cleaning fast and easy with little to no copper fouling....I then sit down and will shoot about 30 rounds thru the gun.

I can't remember if it was the 6.5CM or the 308w barrel that I have fitted up to my AIAT....I didn't do anything. Just sat down and shot the gun with like 30 rounds of ammo. Gun/barrel tracked fine and printed nice small groups from the get go.

It's not just the barrel or the steel....the only thing you are really breaking in per say on a good barrel is the throat of the chamber. The nicer the finish the reamer cut the chamber/throat the faster this will polish and break in. The rougher the throat the more it's going to strip copper off of the bullets jacket and can foul more. When this happens guys at times think it's the barrel but like I said if it's a good barrel with a good finish in it....usually it's the throat from the chambering process.

Bullet jackets vary from lot to lot as well and can foul the barrel differently.

Pay attention to your gun...it will tell you what is going on....you just have to learn how to read it.

Later, Frank

I wonder how many rounds you will get out of the 6.5 Creedmoor and 308W. I'm thinking about getting one for those calibers too.

All the data and comments I've gotten back from ammunition makers and or bullet makers that we've made the BB material for ammunition test barrels also have not noticed anything unusual either.
Thanks @Frank Green. I dont do much different than you on break in. Shoot 1 or 2 times, clean, then shoot 50 or so. I guess I was more lumping in the speed up. Typically I see the barrel start to speed up around 50 and that continues through 120ish rounds before it really flattens out. Then I select final charge weight and tweak seating.

Reactions: Frank Green
I wonder how many rounds you will get out of the 6.5 Creedmoor and 308W. I'm thinking about getting one for those calibers too.
I've posted on this before.

In 6.5CM on ammunition test barrels they normally only get 1700 rounds on a pressure test barrel before they can no longer use it. I've already gotten data back with barrel life going as long as 3500 give or take a little. A couple of the barrels have already been returned to me so I can look at them.

6.5CM test barrels where the first ones we did and shipped out for testing before releasing the new material to the public. I wanted data to go off of. The amount of 6.5CM ammo being produced next to 308w but with the 6.5 burning up a barrel faster than a 308w it was logical to do the first ones in 6.5Cm and get them out to ammunition makers.