• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BBQ comes from North Carolina and Brisket comes from Texas

Beans. no ever. Especially chili.
BBQ sauce. Not too big a fan. Haven't tried all of them so no idea. Not a fan of vinegar.
Tacos. Soft.
9mm.
Country fried vs chicken fried. Don't care what it is called but it's good. Goodson's Cafe in Tomball Texas is great.
Talking about fried food.

Many years ago, my wife and her parents and I went to Galveston Island (they lived in Brenham.) We shopped on the Strand. Went aboard the Elisa, last of the tall ships and it used to carry cotton.
We ate at the Pier 19 Restaurant.

Coming back home, we stopped in Rosenberg for dinner at restaurant called the Texan Bar and Grill. Ash trays at every table, ash trays at the urinals in the bath room. Open bar. You can get anything on the menu as long as you want it fried. You might die but you will be in cholesterol heaven.

Decided to add this thread and some of the other "which food is better" threads to the Legendary Thread.

IMG_2367.jpeg
A whole new aspect of TailGating.

I do a BBQ thing for friends every year at our cabin during the summer, built a smoker and all and have done ribs, briskets, chicken and about everything else you could think of. Last year I thought I would change it up a little and took the excavator and dug a big hole for a deep pit, rocked the interior, expanded metal grate for the bottom etc.
I spent all night feeding a cord of wood and all early morning prepping beef roast and pork shoulder. Put it in and covered for 10 or so hours and feasted. Tasted like shit, might as well put it in a crock pot. Filled the hole in and done with that shit.
That’s only good for cooking veggies for 1-200 people.

When I was younger, the cricket club I was a part of would make a massive bonfire, then load up a few shopping carts with foil wrapped veggies, then dump it into the hole an excavator dug, and buried the coals around it. We’d usually have a pig etc on the spit, so the meat didn’t turn out shit (like yours did 🤣)

Reactions: riverside jeep
Country fried vs chicken fried. Don't care what it is called but it's good. Goodson's Cafe in Tomball Texas is great.

FTR, "Chicken Fried" is the process of breading a certain steak cutlet that is pounded into tenderness and frying it in a skillet (just like fried chicken). It's then smothered in a pepper-cream based gravy. This is what Goodson's does and does very well. "Country Fried" is almost like Chicken fried but after the skillet frying it's then braised in an oven in the gravy in which it's cooked (usually a brown gravy).

Reactions: Pharmseller
FTR, "Chicken Fried" is the process of breading a certain steak cutlet that is pounded into tenderness and frying it in a skillet (just like fried chicken). It's then smothered in a pepper-cream based gravy. This is what Goodson's does and does very well. "Country Fried" is almost like Chicken fried but after the skillet frying it's then braised in an oven in the gravy in which it's cooked (usually a brown gravy).
That’s new to me. Larnin sumptin ebery day! Don’t think that I’d like it braised with Brown gravy.

So the same shit that goes on a shingle?

I will agree on best BBQ is in NC, never been a fan of brisket so can't comment there.

Talking about fried food.

Many years ago, my wife and her parents and I went to Galveston Island (they lived in Brenham.) We shopped on the Strand. Went aboard the Elisa, last of the tall ships and it used to carry cotton.
We ate at the Pier 19 Restaurant.

Coming back home, we stopped in Rosenberg for dinner at restaurant called the Texan Bar and Grill. Ash trays at every table, ash trays at the urinals in the bath room. Open bar. You can get anything on the menu as long as you want it fried. You might die but you will be in cholesterol heaven.

Push carts in Galveston had the best tamales ever.

Fight me!

Sirhr

So the same shit that goes on a shingle?

IIRC, "Creamed Chipped beef on Toast" (aka SOS) is not the same cream base. No spices, no flavor, to my knowledge. Pepper cream gravy for Chicken Fried steak has quite a bit of spicing, and flavoring. And the beef is not "chipped" and put on toast. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: Im2bent
Decided to add this thread and some of the other "which food is better" threads to the Legendary Thread.

We still have 3 pages to go, but I have faith in my fellow foodies!

Sirhr

I moved from STL to NC this year & I have to be super careful of the bbq sauce here…. vinegar “bbq” sauce is awful.
And this coming from the folks who invented Vegemite...tells you something.

Moinks, pig shots, and shotgun shells …. Along with shrimp Mac ‘n cheese
IMG_4076.jpeg

Attachments

• 20180623_135521.jpeg
    20180623_135521.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190421_203237.jpeg
    20190421_203237.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3558.jpeg
    IMG_3558.jpeg
    766 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4079.jpeg
    IMG_4079.jpeg
    842 KB · Views: 18
  • 60047032764__BBE0FD71-6612-49E2-875B-B3C6F5EFAB71.jpeg
    60047032764__BBE0FD71-6612-49E2-875B-B3C6F5EFAB71.jpeg
    610.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4078.jpeg
    IMG_4078.jpeg
    831.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4272.jpeg
    IMG_4272.jpeg
    565.2 KB · Views: 13
I live just down the road from Coopers BBQ in Llano Texas , that many consider to be the best brisket in Texas , and I'll admit it's Damm good , but I can cook one at home that's just as good or almost anyway for 1/3 the price , and do at least once every other month , I decided to try one of those high priced Waygu brisket last summer and let me tell you, that's one of the best brisket I've ever had , about 8.00lb before you even cook it , but it just melts in your mouth .

I live just down the road from Coopers BBQ in Llano Texas , that many consider to be the best brisket in Texas , and I'll admit it's Damm good , but I can cook one at home that's just as good or almost anyway for 1/3 the price , and do at least once every other month , I decided to try one of those high priced Waygu brisket last summer and let me tell you, that's one of the best brisket I've ever had , about 8.00lb before you even cook it , but it just melts in your mouth .
Waygu brisket is amazing, but you definitely eat a lot less than normal because it’s so rich

Attachments

• 20190831_112103.jpeg
    20190831_112103.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190831_112051.jpeg
    20190831_112051.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 21
The best tamales always come still hot out of a 15 year old igloo cooler driven around in a 1997 POS and are sold by the dozen.
Both the igloo and the car are about a decade too young, but yeah, and only at Christmas…

Please share with us where you can buy Waygu brisket for $8.00 a pound................

Reactions: Modoc
Both the igloo and the car are about a decade too young, but yeah, and only at Christmas…
They go to bars year round and it tastes the same all year.

The best tamales always come still hot out of a 15 year old igloo cooler driven around in a 1997 POS and are sold by the dozen.
When I worked at the dealership this old Hispanic lady came around on Wednesday and she made this cilantro lime chicken tamale that was out of this world. It was so good, other customers would stalk her and knew when she came in to sell them.

When I worked at the dealership this old Hispanic lady came around on Wednesday and she made this cilantro lime chicken tamale that was out of this world. It was so good, other customers would stalk her and knew when she came in to sell them.
Jalapeno cheese and spicy pork

I never liked Tamales when I lived in TX.

A restaurant here in Tucson completely changed my mind on tamales, theirs are amazing.
If you're in Tucson (pronounced tuck son :) ) go here for the real shit.
thank me after you've been.
And yes, Texas has ZERO clue about messican food, they fuck everything up, bad.
If you're in Cali or Az the worst, nastiest food truck has better messican food than the highest rated high dollar messican food restaurant in Tejas.
No lie....fight me.

All you whiny shits saying this or that about a grill.
Yes the grill is steel.....the bar-b-que however, is made from stone, or rock, or if you're lazy, brick.
It holds the heat in much better so you don't have to have a raging fire to do the heat part.....you can have smouldering twigs and get great heat in a stone bar-b-que.
You place a 'comal' on top of where the fire is (offset of course) so you can make your side dishes on that while the meat is doing it's thing.
Texas is not the home of BBQ, they stole it from the messicans that had been doing it for centuries before there even was a Texas.
It's actually called barbacoa and you use mesquite and oak....not hickory.
It's dark and it's cold otherwise I'd go out and take a pic....but fuck y'all, it ain't worth it right now.
Salt and pepper only, if you need something more you fucked up by not cooking it right.
It's OK to put sauce on a pulled pork sammich.....but only after it's cooked.
Vinegar...sugar...WTF are you trying to hide ? poor cooking ?

Reactions: kthomas
I thought we were talking about the meat, why every time NC bbq comes up people wanna argue over the damn sauces! Not everybody in NC is split east vs west on the sauce thing either, some go with a nice sweet m tangy sauce that isn’t vinegar shit or thick molases based either. But for me, sauce don’t make the bbq, if it’s pork butt or whole shoulder slow cooked over hickory coals, it’ll be good I promise. The smoker things work ok but I will always prefer it done the hard way with an old home made cooker and a fire barrel to make hickory coals to spread under fresh pork. As for Texas, they call anything cooked over a fire bbq but then turn into nazi’s about what is and ain’t chili 🤣

Reactions: 502Chevelle
I knew I should have kept reading before posting. But it doesn't hurt to say it again.
Vegemite is horrible. I have no idea who thought “oh, let’s spread this black, thick, tar-like substance on bread & eat it”. They must have has a different taste 100 years ago (1923) when it was invented.

• Haha
Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
I would argue BBQ is about the wood. To me, there is nothing that can replicate some type of protein (brisket, beef ribs, pork ribs, sausage, yard bird) cooked over a post oak fire in a traditional Texas market style BBQ joint. I recreationally fuck around on my Traeger and it's okay, but doesn't touch the real deal.

And...
You can braise meat, but a full boil should be a capital offense.

And....
Grass Fed beef is shit. If I want grass fed, I will eat the wild game I shoot. You can feed beef some grass, but the last few months that bastard better be eating out of the feedbag full of grain or corn. In the rare instance I go out to eat If I restaurant brags about their grass fed beef I know that more than likely the steak is going to be sub par if I order one.

Reactions: riverside jeep