• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCG's from 15accessories.com

c_morse

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2012
Langley AFB, VA
I just got fed up and cancelled orders for two BCG's from rguns.net

Between their lack of response to multiple emails and the reviews on the quality of their NiB bolts, I didn't want to deal with it anymore.

I noticed a vendor on here is selling SMI BCG's now, and they're getting good reviews. Unfortunately I'm TDY and don't have the ability to sit and wait to pounce on items when they show in stock for 3 minutes, so I looked up SMI.

Turns out they have their own storefront through 15accessories.com

What's better is they actually answer the phone and I was able to talk to a real human about ordering and the timeframe for filling that order.

The items do show out of stock, but they're back-orderable.

I went ahead and placed an order for two of their phosphate BCG's at $115.xx each with free shipping on the order.

http://www.15accessories.com/SMI-BCG-Complete-Assembly-223-Manganese-Phosphate-p/0101200020.htm

The representative stated that they're cranking out a ton of these standard BCG's weekly, but that they're also cranking out a ton of their other finishes roughly bi-weekly. She told me it'd be a couple of weeks max before the order ships. Will follow up when I receive shipment confirmation.

Last edited:
Just as an update, these already shipped, and are set to arrive at my house tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm out of town for training for a few weeks, so I won't be able to provide input on the quality or anything. BUT, that's basically a week from order to shipment for full BCG's.

I'm running one is a build I just completed. Seems to run well, fit/finish is nice. No headspace issues. Kinda wish I had gotten a NiBoron version though.

Mine came from Mike at Hellscanyonarmory.com - interesting that SMI is filling their own orders but their vendors are still out of stock?

Last edited:
From the research I did, everyone seems to be very happy with their BCG's from this company. I was more than willing to give it a shot at $115/per with free FEDEX shipping.

All I can speak to is that I got a rep on the phone, and was given a real quote on shipping times. The real wait was even better than what they told me.

The one thing I can add is that I didn't receive a shipment email from the company. I had to log back in and check order status to see that it shipped.

I ordered some 2/28 and they arrived today.

C_morse, I'm having trouble finding reviews on these. Can you point me to some of the ones that you found? I'd like to order some of these, but would feel better knowing a little more about them (materials used, company history, etc). Thanks!

To be honest I can't remember. I did some research and found a couple positive reviews... I know that much.

Anyway, couple guys now that have posted in this thread that have them in their hands. Hopefully they can chime in with their impressions.

Looks ok. It's a M16 style but I don't think it's chrome lined. Gas key needs to be staked better IMO but I've got the tool so no big deal. It's probably staked enough but I like a little more. I don't think it's MPI/HPT but I'll just swap the bolt to a MPI bolt and let this one be a spare. If available, I'd get the BCM or LMT but I'm completely happy with the 15accessories BCG.

Thanks for the head's up on these, I ordered two on 3/7 and they shipped on 3/8, so there doesn't seem to be much (if any) backlog at this point. I'll post back once I've gotten to inspect and use them.

Looks ok. It's a M16 style but I don't think it's chrome lined. Gas key needs to be staked better IMO but I've got the tool so no big deal. It's probably staked enough but I like a little more. I don't think it's MPI/HPT but I'll just swap the bolt to a MPI bolt and let this one be a spare. If available, I'd get the BCM or LMT but I'm completely happy with the 15accessories BCG.

I think the description said "15 parts in this assembly with 11 improvements", so I'm hoping it will at least be a step up from a DPMS or the like. For the price, I can't really complain. The two I ordered are going in rifles that won't likely see hot loads or high round counts, so I'm not too worried about them.

Photos Inbound

Upload4_zps883fd7a9.jpg
upload2_zpsb1bdf95f.jpg
Upload1_zps5deff3c5.jpg
upload6_zpsd4e486a8.jpg

Attachments

• upload3_zps512f6980.jpg
    upload3_zps512f6980.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 34
upload5_zps7e69b8b9.jpg

Overall I was very impressed. The machining looks fantastic very little visible tool marks, and the ones that are visible are concentric.

The big question is ... whats it made out of ..

I emailed SMI to find out no word yet...

Also if you cant tell from the picture there is not chrome inside the gas key or carrier. They claim the key and carrier are internally coated with nano-ceramic ...... very descriptive huh ..

Well for appearance sake, I've never seen a mil spec "Style" bolt that looked any nicer at all . the external coating is very very uniform and I am impressed...

I figure worse case scenario .... Bolt comes apart or wears quickly. then just a matter of getting something better ... also being harder to clean without the chrome ..

I was very impressed with mine.......machining was some of the best I have seen. There were no markings indicating testing, but for the price and machining quality I can't complain. The only quirk to them is the bearing surfaces aren't smooth so they kind of "zip" as they slide. At first I thought this was an issue, but the bolt runs smooth and it actually helps to hold the oil on the bearing surfaces.

Thumbs up to 15accessories.com for fast shipping, good packaging, and killer price!

I would say the od is turned on a lathe due to the tool marks ( very uniformly ) and whatever its coated with, which i dont think is mag phos is pretty thin so the lathe marks are pronounced. Which I could easily see creating a zippy sound. I also agree its not an issue what so ever.

Ok guys so I dug a little deeper today and my suspicions were true. At least im 90% sure.

SMI makes the bolts for Midwayusa.com under the name AR Stoner. I suspected this at first due to the descriptions of both 15accessories.com SMI's homepage and midwayusa.com. Also due to the fact that SMI and AR Stoner are the only two bolts I can find that reference "ceraplate" and "nano-ceramic".

However the real nail in the coffin was this. LINK Scroll about halfway down and there is a link to "Break In Procedure". This link is to a PDF titled "SMI_High_Performance_Tactical_Upgrade".

So just wanted to let you guys know what I've found out, and how. Maybe others already knew this but it is what it is. Looking at my bolt and everything else that I own that is parkerized/manganese phosphate treated. I can almost without a doubt say that the two carriers I received are not parkerized. The bolts definitely are but the gas key and carrier are not. Which leads me to believe SMI is just shipping "ceraplated" carriers with their BCG's atm. Whether this is good bad or otherwise I don't know, but if this ceraplate is half what they make it out to be then hey, free upgrade. The standard AR Stoner BCG does not have the best reviews but they aren't all together terrible and mostly seem to be hit or miss. Most complaints were about the Parkerizing on the carrier, well I obviously don't have that problem.

So basicly if you are considering an AR Stoner bolt then buy it from 15accessories.com and save $30 + shipping. Only time will tell about this Ceraplate stuff. I really cant see the carrier being an issue. I plan on buying a quality bolt as backup/replacement anyway.

Edit: I thought maybe another possibility is the Standard parkerized AR Stoner BCG may come from multiple manufacturers and maybe only the ceraplated BCG is specifically made by SMI.... Who knows though this is all speculation obviously.

Last edited:
So this it great, I ordered two back on the 7th of March and they shipped yesterday (14th). Compared to the rest of the industry (have two spikes BCG on backorder with DSG from Dec 1st) these guys are fast! Thanks for the heads up OP!

Anybody have any experience with the NiB plated BCGs? Liking what I'm reading about their products so far... Thanks in advance.

Anybody have any experience with the NiB plated BCGs? Liking what I'm reading about their products so far... Thanks in advance.

Only the reviews on midwayusa for the ar stoner one.. but I can only confirm smi makes the ceramic stoner model..

View attachment 2115

Overall I was very impressed. The machining looks fantastic very little visible tool marks, and the ones that are visible are concentric.

The big question is ... whats it made out of ..

I emailed SMI to find out no word yet...

Also if you cant tell from the picture there is not chrome inside the gas key or carrier. They claim the key and carrier are internally coated with nano-ceramic ...... very descriptive huh ..

Well for appearance sake, I've never seen a mil spec "Style" bolt that looked any nicer at all . the external coating is very very uniform and I am impressed...

I figure worse case scenario .... Bolt comes apart or wears quickly. then just a matter of getting something better ... also being harder to clean without the chrome ..

I have an SMI BCG that I bought from hell's canyon and it really looks like the inside of it's chromed. However they also make one that is 'ceramic coated' or something as well.

My inside carrier pic wasnt the best but like I said the two I received definitly werent chromed..
now BCP is your carrier parkerized??

Ok just saw something else from midway to confirm that the Nickle boron AR Stoner BCG is SMI as well. The AR Stoner part numbers for the ceramic and NiB both start with SMI.. the parkerized AR Stoner BCG just say bcg for part number..

One of us needs to go run 1000 rounds through one of these and see how they perform. I only have .223 stuff for my wifes bolt gun atm...

My inside carrier pic wasnt the best but like I said the two I received definitly werent chromed..
now BCP is your carrier parkerized??

I may have to eat my words, I took it apart last night and while there's metal in there it doesn't look as shiny as the other carriers I have, like regular steel coated with something. Also the ejector on it is bigger than my DPMS one and the bolt face has a bit less tooling marks on it than the DPMS.

Already have a couple hundred rounds through it without issue so hopefully it holds up, I don't like different finishes on bolts especially when they say 'ceramic' because that involves lots of heat over a period of time. Not good for heat treated parts imo.

Ok just saw something else from midway to confirm that the Nickle boron AR Stoner BCG is SMI as well. The AR Stoner part numbers for the ceramic and NiB both start with SMI.. the parkerized AR Stoner BCG just say bcg for part number..

One of us needs to go run 1000 rounds through one of these and see how they perform. I only have .223 stuff for my wifes bolt gun atm...

I put 150 rounds through it the other day and 50 before that, if it's gonna break it's either going to be next time or never.

Finally got home and I was able to install and run these BCG's. I agree with the observation about the machined surface. Cycles smooth though, so it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. The carrier is definitely a different finish, and I'm leaning toward it being the ceramic as well. Nice piece, though... cleaned up really easily.

Overall, for the money spent, I'm more than satisfied. Company is good to go and gets the thumbs up from me.

New member here. The company works out of Merriam, KS. I had the opportunity a few weeks ago to actually go in and build a custom rifle at their facility. I asked point blank and was told that they do not provide MidwayUSA with parkerized BCG's however Midway IS a vendor for some of their products. Anyway, the rifle build went flawlessly. I purchased an upper and barrel with a custom "baked" or cured ceramic coating which I have yet to manage to scratch, and a polymer lower made by New Frontier Armory. Bruce, their gunsmith, coached me all the way through the build and even helped me tune my trigger a bit for a better pull. On the subject of their BCG's. They offer 3 different finishes and a 4th "hybrid" available by special order or through New Frontier Armory. Mag. Phos. Parkerized, Nickel Boron Plated, Ceraplate Ceramic Plated, and the "Hybrid" Ceraplated carrier/gas key and Parkerized bolt/cam pin. I chose the latter and have been MORE than impressed. The bolt is flawless and after break-in moves front to back with no more help than tilting it with the bolt face down. The ONLY complaint I have with it is that the Ceraplate finish APPEARS to wear off slowly. I was however told that this would happen and shown information to prove that while the color will wear off anywhere that it touches the magazine or upper, the coating is still there protecting it and it remains stupid smooth. I haven't seen any rust or metal discoloration, just a little wear on the edges and bottom of the carrier. I have over 500 rounds through the gun and haven't had so much as a misfeed. I asked about material and they told me that the carriers are made of 8620 steel and the bolts are 4130 steel. Both are heat treated but they were protective of the exact specs which I understand. They have tested parts that have had thousands of rounds through them without any issues and claim to be out performing mil-spec products by leaps and bounds. I can say from my experience that my rifle extracts flawlessly and ejects brass consistently enough that from a bipod I can shoot 100+ rounds and pick my brass up from a nice neat pile about a 12"-18" across. They distribute parts and products from a number of manufacturers and aren't well enough known to be completely sold out on things like Magpul sights, grips and stocks. I got to pick all of my hardware and assemble it in house. Mike Everhart, the owner was really really nice and insisted on taking me on a tour and showing off some other products they offer. Pictures below are of my rifle and another rifle that I was shown which was custom anodized in a Realtree camo.AR6.jpgAR7.jpg

I think we are victims of their success :) the price of the $115 big went up to $145, I could use another one, just a bit disappointed about the price increase it is still a good price even at $145

Unfortunately, it's truly hard to find a good BCG anyways. Most Companies brand their bolt carriers but they almost all come from Advanced Ordinance out of Dayton Beach Florida. You might know them by another name , AO precision. Just about every big name bolt carrier that you guys pay huge money for comes from there.

Just my two cents.

Unfortunately, it's truly hard to find a good BCG anyways. Most Companies brand their bolt carriers but they almost all come from Advanced Ordinance out of Dayton Beach Florida. You might know them by another name , AO precision. Just about every big name bolt carrier that you guys pay huge money for comes from there.

Just my two cents.

These are not. SMI owns them from raw material to finish and they're extremely proud of it. I had a great conversation with the owner when I visited and was thoroughly impressed.

I had the chance to go in and build my own riffle as well. I was very impressed with their customer service and overall knowledge in weapons. When I walked in I felt like I walked into a professional warehouse full of "big boy" toys. When I was building my riffle their gunsmith Bruce was telling me about their ceramic coating and after using it I have to say...I'm impressed! Both Bruce and Mike told me that their coating is specially formulated with a ceramic material used in race car engines, piston skirts, crank journals, and valve seats. The material is highly lubricious, resistant to heat and easily cleaned even when the very top of the surface (coloring) is worn off. They use this ceramic material instead of chrome because of the multiple improvements found in the ceramic coating. I've never heard of this ceramic coating until that day but I'm really glad they showed it to me. I plan on purchasing a few more.

Has anyone tried their Ultimate Trigger Kit? It looks and sounds impressive but I want to know if it's worth the purchase and price.

I have since taken the bolt out of mine and replaced it with another fresh bolt from FN. Maybe I'm just being a worry wart but there's not a lot of rounds on this thing and the lugs are already pretty worn, all the finish gone from the front and rear as well as angled peening marks on the lugs around the extractor. Here are some pics:

BCP, that looks a lot like a plating issue. I know they are always grateful to get feedback on their products and those pictures would probably warrant them sending you a replacement.

I have since taken the bolt out of mine and replaced it with another fresh bolt from FN. Maybe I'm just being a worry wart but there's not a lot of rounds on this thing and the lugs are already pretty worn, all the finish gone from the front and rear as well as angled peening marks on the lugs around the extractor. Here are some pics:

That's about how my bolts look as well. However I removed some of the finish my self, I remove the ejector and chuck the bolt in a drill and run steel wool on the face to smooth it out a bit. I find it helps to reduce the brass collection on the bolt which is common of almost any parkerized bolt. Plus its going to look like that eventually anyway.

I also smooth out the ejector with a little 400 grit while its out. Again to make it less aggressive on the brass. None of my guns regularly see beach landings so im not worried about corrosion.

I ended up selling the (2) that I purchased. They appear to be made by the same bolts that are being sold by Midway under the "AR Stoner" name. There are numerous threads on other forums of the exact same issue of premature wear. In the end, I don't believe the metal they used in these bolts is up to par with Carpenter 158 steel, which is the standard.

Sorry to thread necro but I wanted to give an update on these BCGs:

SMI took care of me on the bolt however the new one wore pretty fast as well so I am keeping it for a spare, also the carrier wore out. Gas key and bolt are no longer making a good seal and rifle is short stroking. It has about 1400 rounds through it.

Buy once, cry once, lesson learned, no nano ceramic blah blah carriers just good ole milspec chrome lining.