• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report BC's on super heavy 30's

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
There's been a couple of threads recently discussing the largest of the large in 30 caliber. I was flipping through some gun rag and noticed that Sierra or Nosler makes a 300gr pill in 30 caliber. Sure, they're expensive (60cents per bullet) but they're not as bad as shooting $2 pills from a big bore rifle. Does anyone know what the BC of these things is or can do a more reasonable estimate than I can?

When I was seeing pictures of the 300 Kong and 300 Hulk I couldn't help but think how sweet of a LR round that would be if there was something heavier than the 240 SMK. Not that they aren't awesome now, but a 300gr bullet at the 3000 fps mark would (by quick estimation) be on par with the 375CT type LR rounds.

I'm guessing that BC would be around .9 or higher. Does that sound out of line?

Re: BC's on super heavy 30's

According to Sierra's site the heaviest .30 is 240grns SMK. Nosler is a 200grn Accubond and heaviest match is 175grn.

Where did you read that they make 300grn bullets?

I'm not seeing anything heavier than 240 gr. in 30 cal. on Sierra's website. Think you're mistaken for .338 caliber bulelts.

I can't remember what catalog it was in for sure, but I think actually I was flipping through the Natchez book. I remember thinking the same thing "huh, I thought the 240 was as heavy as 30 cals go, that must be a mis print and it's really a 338 bullet"

That might be all it was, a misprint, but I know I checked it several times to make sure it said "308" under bullet diameter.

I'm a little disappointed now.

I have some of the old 250 gr SMK's that were made before the 240's. PM me here if you want some........miker

I don't believe there are any commercial 300 gr. pills available. There are a couple of "boutique" bullet makers that go above the 240 gr. mark.

300 grains at 3000 fps is going to take a lot of powders and a big ass case. Of course, who cares about the barrel life though.

Henson Aluminum tipped bullets,210gr 30 cal has a .88BC and can be driven to 3300fps out of a 30-378W.An 8 twist barrel will be needed to stabilize correctly.Also they are pricey at $1.70 a projectile.

.668BC for 240SMK

Steve

I hadn't heard of Hensen bullets before, I talked to my buddy this weekend, he remembered them as well. It was in a Natchez flier, Sierra Game Kings, 308 caliber listed at 300gr. Price was $26/50 bullets.

Next line down was where 338 cals started, 160gr bullets were the next on the list. I looked on Sierra's site and didn't see anything so maybe they're old stock.

A .88BC bullet that's only 210 grains would be over 3400 fps from this thing, that's an incredible long range round. I wasn't really concerned with barrel life when thinking about this, just long range legs like the 375 CT has.

Miker- You have a PM. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300 grains at 3000 fps is going to take a lot of powders and a big ass case. Of course, who cares about the barrel life though. </div></div>

With every 500 bullets they send you a new barrel.