• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Bean Bear @ 991

SHL540KB308

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2007
Indiana
Monday 08/31/09 I got to the range and cleaned my .308 and .300 before shooting. After cleaning the .300 saum I fired 3 sighter shots to check elevation @ 1000 for the day. 23.0 MOA elevation seemed to be pretty close as you can see. I went to the range to relax and keep watch for groundhogs and just enjoy a beautiful day. About 17:30 I spotted one down close to the 1000 yard line to the right. I have seen this one before, but could never get a shot. I ranged him @ 975 yards with my Lecia 1200 when I first spotted him and watched him in my scope. He was moving away and to the right. He would move what looked like 5 yards and stand up, look around, drop down and move on. I thought if he would stand up twice in the same spot I'll take a shot. Finally at what I guessed was about 1000 yards he stood up twice without moving. Pressed one off, watched in the scope what seemed like minutes, finally I could see red mist exit out the back and he disappeared. Watched through my scope for any movement in the grass, none. Jumped in the Gator and went down to check. Sure enough, one dead bean bear, right where he disappeared.
bb1k01.jpg

This picture shows his relationship to the 1000 yard steel targets. His burrow is just to the right of the (10) yard marker in the picture. I ranged back to the line from the groundhog the best I could and it came up 991 yards. Looks to be pretty close.
bb1k02.jpg

One happy guy and one unlucky bean bear. If you follow the tree line on the left all the way to the end, gets you pretty close to the firing line. Even made one of those little signs you always see in pictures.
bb1k03.jpg

Many thanks goes to Deb Young (range owner) for taking the pictures.
bb1k04.jpg

Right through the head, in one side.
bb1k05.jpg

Right through the head, out the other. The target bullets (155gr Lapua Scenar) I use do not expand, just punch a hole.
bb1k06.jpg

Last pose of the day before I flung him into the woods.
bb1k07.jpg

The end of a great day, stay safe, Brad

Re: Bean Bear @ 991

Real nice shooting. That group on the steel looks great to me. Some day I may get there but not yet.

Can't wait for them to cut the soy beans down. I bet there are tons more that we aren't seeing.

I saw your pic when I was up there a week ago, nice shot! I saw a deer and five turkeys while we were there but no piggies unfortunately.

Anyone know where you can buy a gaggle of baby groundhogs? I'd love to replenish the supply up there to provide some moving targets at unknown distances when I go up! (kidding)