• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding and Trigger job

tomb469

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
Dallas, TX
Hey,

I have a Remington 700 XCR Compact Tactical in 308. I am wondering if anyone has replaced the trigger and had bedding done to improve the guns performance. Out of the box, it is pretty accurate, but I would like to push it as far as I can.

Thanks!

Tom

Re: Bedding and Trigger job

If you feel your skills have surpassed the abilities of the rifle, then bedding is a good place to start. I am not familiar with the style and type of trigger the XCR has. My 700 LA ADL has a factory trigger that I was able to tune and adjust to break clean, and lighter than the factory set it at. No clue what pounds its set to, I used my calibrated fingers to see what worked best. All these yielded more improvements in the consistency department than in accuracy.

The trigger is a 40X trigger and will get you by. I still have mine on my XCR cause there's no need for replacement yet. As for bedding, you can and it might help. It may be better to just sell the stock and get a McM, MCS, or AICS to go with.

Mine shoots Fed and BH very well but shoots hand loads even better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey,

I have a Remington 700 XCR Compact Tactical in 308. I am wondering if anyone has replaced the trigger and had bedding done to improve the guns performance. Out of the box, it is pretty accurate, but I would like to push it as far as I can.

Thanks!

Tom </div></div>

Tom,

If your rifle already shoots well then I think your best bet is getting the trigger tuned. If there was a real issue with the bedding it might have given you indicators already.

If your bedding is not stressing the action, then getting the trigger tuned properly will help you hone your skills and focus on the fundamentals of shooting...

Trigger control
Sight alignment
Bone support
Muscle relaxation
Etc...

Mark