• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beef Jerky

medicjim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Hey guys, serious topic here.. I am looking for a source of well made beef jerky... I'm not particularly fond of super hot, would prefer a pepper / teriyaki type flavor... but made from real beef and texture like dried beef, not wet plastic. Anyone have a particular brand or source they recommend?

I'm astonished that a search does not produce a genuinely relevant thread. Priorities around here have gone to shit in the last 2 decades <g>

Reactions: diverdon
I make my own. Partially because of cost but more so because I can make it the flavor, thickness, and texture I want. I make a sweet and hot jerky about half the thickness of the jack links tenders or whatever they are called when finished. I also usually use venison back strap for my jerky and there is nothing in the store that can compare.

Otherwise Jack Links would be the go to and the Kirkland brand from Costco is surprisingly not terrible in a pinch.

https://tcsjerky.com/.

I'm generally not a fan of packaged grocery store jerkies but bought some of this at my local Michigan Meijer store. It was on sale and I needed a deer blind snack, I was impressed by how good it was.

Up here in Canuckistania, for 'purchasing' our go-to is McSweeney's Peppered Beef Jerky.
The one we avoid, and/or simply do without if it's the only option is Jack Links.

Maybe ours is of a different 'export' quality or something, but the smell and texture to me reminds me of the old "Gainsburgers" that I used to feed my dog with, when I was a kid. I can't say anything for taste though, just that they smell the same. (I'm not in the habit of eating dog-food)

But truthfully, we have dehydrators here, a 'dehydrate' setting on our double-oven, as well as a big-assed smoker here. It is FAR easier, cheaper, better, gooder, and simply SMARTER for us to make our own. You would probably find the same result too. And you can easily make it TO YOUR LIKING.

Out of beef, pork, turkey, cat, neighbor's yapper, practically anything. Though I don't have a recipe for 'hoodlum' or anything like that, yet.

(oh come on, that was FUNNY)

Seriously though, give it a shot at making your own. Use "eye-of-the-round" for both cheapness and lack of fat consistency. Start with a single pound, make a batch and try it out. Adjust the recipe as needed, for your liking. Then go 'bigger scale'. It ain't hard.

I’ll add, if making your own, I always slice WITH the grain.

There’s just something about going against it that doesn’t seem right.

Jerky is meant to be chewy and kinda tough.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I always thought Hardtimes jerky was very good.

Also, don't take jerky advise from anyone who thinks Jack Links as a viable option.

I always thought Hardtimes jerky was very good.

Also, don't take jerky advise from anyone who thinks Jack Links as a viable option.
:whistle:

it tasted ok to me when i tried it, but again i did say i am not a jerky expert.
if you disqualify it because it isn't tough like jerky i grew up eating, i get it, but it still tasted good.

thestationagentpic.jpg

too obscure?

Reactions: Odysseus1911
:whistle:

it tasted ok to me when i tried it, but again i did say i am not a jerky expert.
if you disqualify it because it isn't tough like jerky i grew up eating, i get it, but it still tasted good.

thestationagentpic.jpg

too obscure?
I don't get the reference.

As far as Jack Links vs traditional jerky, it's not that jerky needs to be really tough to be good. Actually, I liked the Hardtimes because the pieces are really thin which makes them easier to tear/chew. Jack Links texture is gummy and the flavor cloying, I dunno, it's just kinda gross to me, but to each their own.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I pretty much gave up on commercial jerky but will grab a bag of Old Trapper if the mood strikes.

Started making my own about 20 years ago. For beef I prefer the cut called ”eye of round”. The large grain structure and low fat content works for me.

wsXxci.jpg

RcgNKq.jpg

If you want to try something different, try making it out of pork loin. Same cut of meat that pork chops would come from. I prefer it to venison or beef jerky. The relative mild flavor of the pork takes to the jerky seasoning really well.

vu3wIr.jpg

KTVr2r.jpg

Comes out of the dehydrator almost translucent.....

I like Bar-X out of Albuquerque. I buy it by the case salt and beef only for me.
Sams club has it 7oz for 14.95

Tulare Country Meats in Huron/Tulare, SD has the best commercially produced beef jerky I've ever had. Down to my last pound I brought back and vacuum sealed/froze. Small shop, definitely worth a stop if you're in the vicinity. Don't know if they ship but might be worth checking.

If you go the “make your own” route, I’ll second eye of round for a great cut for jerky.

This is the best recipe I’ve ever used (primarily venison jerky for me).

Pineapple juice gives it some sweetness, and jalapeño give it just a little kick. Still really good without the jalapeño if you don’t like to spice it up.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Tillamook county smoker. The deli(gourmet?) sounds like what your after. Always have a few in my pack.
If I can't find that, old trapper as others have said.

I have always liked Prasek's. They have peppered, teriyaki, original, thin and thick.

Reactions: Major Wader
I pretty much gave up on commercial jerky but will grab a bag of Old Trapper if the mood strikes.

Started making my own about 20 years ago. For beef I prefer the cut called ”eye of round”. The large grain structure and low fat content works for me.

wsXxci.jpg

RcgNKq.jpg

If you want to try something different, try making it out of pork loin. Same cut of meat that pork chops would come from. I prefer it to venison or beef jerky. The relative mild flavor of the pork takes to the jerky seasoning really well.

vu3wIr.jpg

KTVr2r.jpg

Comes out of the dehydrator almost translucent.....
You nailed it with eye of round...
The shittiest cut of beef makes the best jerky.
When I make it for myself, that's what I use.

Reactions: Anb618
Top sirloin or Bambi haunch.
Ya gotta use a Ponzu sauce as marinade and lots of fresh ground black pepper.
Ponzu sauce is what they serve with Tuna Tataki, Pork Katsu, and is also known as Poke sauce in Hawaii.
To make Ponzu.
1/4 cup regular Kikkoman soy sauce (don't be a poor and use something else).
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
2 teaspoons fresh ground ginger
2 teaspoons fresh ground garlic
2-3 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2-3 drops sesame oil.....be careful it can overpower real easily
1/4 teaspoon freshly browned sesame seeds
Mix it in a saucepan over low heat until well blended.
Let it cool and then pour it into a large zipock bag with your meat of choice and refridge for at least 24 hours.
Use a charcoal smoker with hickory....takes about 4-6 hours depending on temps.

You will never have better....something else might be as good, but it won't be better.
For adult candy use sliced up salmon instead of beef or venison.....crumble and put on crackers with cream cheese and capers.
Girls nearly orgasm when trying adult candy for the first time.

Anything you can buy in a chain store or wallyworld is pure shit.
You can't compare it to hand crafted jerky.

Butcher shops, BBQ joints, small town shops all over have the goods.

If it is at the counter in a glass jar it's probably a good bet. If it is in cellophane with some fuck in a checkered shirt on the lable or has a list of ingredients and calories, it's assuredly shit.

A good place to look for local / regional at least is the gun show. You can sample several providers at a good sized show and those guys usualy will ship.

If a gun show doesn't have two or more jerky vendors the show is shit.

Making your own is fun use any lean cut and the flavors you like.
Use a smoker and no liquid smoke.
I like a mix of oak 50%, mesquite 30% and hickory 20%.

If your using soy sauce of any kind go light on the other salt if any.

Low and slow is best.

Before you put any away in anything it must be compleatly cooled off and air dry.

Hey guys, serious topic here.. I am looking for a source of well made beef jerky... I'm not particularly fond of super hot, would prefer a pepper / teriyaki type flavor... but made from real beef and texture like dried beef, not wet plastic. Anyone have a particular brand or source they recommend?

I'm astonished that a search does not produce a genuinely relevant thread. Priorities around here have gone to shit in the last 2 decades <g>
I have been making my own for a few months now. I am making a ton of progress. It's turning out really good. This last batch especially is top notch. I would recommend making your own. If you need help I will share what I know.

If you just want to buy some there are a bunch of places around Texas that will ship.

Reactions: theLBC
Tulare Country Meats in Huron/Tulare, SD has the best commercially produced beef jerky I've ever had. Down to my last pound I brought back and vacuum sealed/froze. Small shop, definitely worth a stop if you're in the vicinity. Don't know if they ship but might be worth checking.

Another great jerky from South Dakota is the Sturgis brand.
It's also sold under the Bear Butte label.
Same jerky, different label.

I'm down to my last three of the small packs.
20220217_115724.jpg

I make my own as well.

Have a slicer and dehydrator. Slicer is also used for cutting up my bacon, so not a unitasker.

Buy? Never thought about that...
I just processed a young doe that was given to me by a coworker. Front shoulders into the crock pot for BBQ (just ate the last of it) the rest is already sliced for jerky and frozen in 3 lb bags.
I looked to order some sodium nitrate, but now it not good for you, something about being a carcinogen?? My jerky only lasts a few days, so not too worried about adding preservatives. I usually season with Dales or Soy Vay teriyaki. I have a side of beef hanging now, 420 lbs of beef coming in a couple of weeks! I need to make freezer room, I use a jerky shooter to make strips from ground meat as well.

High country

I buy the boxes of seasoning to do my own deer.

The best beef jerky I've ever had always comes from the counter at a convenient store. If you've never experienced freshly made convenient store beef jerky then you've never lived!

In my area I used to be messin' with sasquatch, but my favorite now is Old Trapper pepper flavor. I've also tried Bridgford, World Kitchens and Oberto which are not bad.

The best beef jerky I've ever had always comes from the counter at a convenient store. If you've never experienced freshly made convenient store beef jerky then you've never lived!

99% of the places around here have High Country. I've never seen any that was home-made.

Dale's marinade good stuff .
I use it for things going on the smoker, the grill and occasionally the oven.

If using it for overnight type thing cut it with water or something.
Good for short marinade on skirt steak with lime in it.

Basically use it to get spices to stick don't drown meat in it.

Last edited:
Thank you all for taking the time to create a QUALITY jerky post!

I have a pork loin and a eye round roast in the fridge, will be attempting home made jerky this week. I also plan to try the Ponzu sauce mentioned here. I have been a member of this forum since right after 9/11 and I'm thrilled find that we still have a number of posters that live in a world like the one I grew up with... My AO, not so much.

It's so easy to make that I stopped buying it in stores.

I'll make tender and chewy... so I'll cut half of it with the grain and half against the grain.

Reactions: Snuby642