Beef prices....

Snuby642

Old Salt
Belligerents
Feb 11, 2017
LMAO

Hala? Who the fuck would care.

In the old days we just called it what it was, chopping the head off the chicken instead of swinging it around till the head popped off.

My brother and I would take the two slowest chickens from the yard (natural farm raised selecton)
And cut thier head off Simontainiosly let go and see whose bird ran furthest.

My grandfather would hang a live pig on a gimble and stick it in the guzzle.

Wasn't any hala but a shitload of squealing like a pig, needed earpro.

Beef brisket?

20200502_225728.jpg
This was 2.99$ a lb and gouging at that price.

CALIFORNIA is screwed beyond belife.

Reactions: TACC

lariat

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
That price is ridiculous.

Chopping chicken necks...we had a chopping block. Two nails to keep the head in place and stretch the neck. Once a year and then can up all the roosters and old hens. You get real good and efficient at such things in short order.

bachelorjack

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Sep 10, 2007
Columbia, SC
www.snipershide.com
23EF64EF-6E32-4EB7-A871-0BB4CBFF4348.jpeg
Maybe you will think this is cool. Maybe not. Just sold this butcher block table. Early 1900’s. Huge. 4’x3’ weighed over 400lbs easy. Went into a hipster butcher shop. Guys showed up in matching flannel long sleeve shirts. Its almost 90 degrees here...

We just bought 120lbs of vac sealed ribeye for $6.90/lb. From Australia marked ~10lb packs. Seemed cheaper and logistically easier than waiting or paying $6/lb in store for ground. Normally I buy the same packs on sale for $5/lb twice a year or so.

Super interested in what everyone here is talking about. But couldnt make it work logistically and at enough savings to make it worth it. That was the key. 1/2 or 1/4 cows were totaling out at close to $5.XX/lb here in SC. Or ribeye for $7/lb? Ive got a grinder here already for deer....

Joel Danielson

Green Manalishi
Belligerents
Apr 12, 2012
wondering
That price is ridiculous.

Chopping chicken necks...we had a chopping block. Two nails to keep the head in place and stretch the neck. Once a year and then can up all the roosters and old hens. You get real good and efficient at such things in short order.
There is a smell of wet feathers in boiling hot water that has been permanently imbedded in my brain. Plucked way too many of those as a kid...:D

inspcalahan

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2005
The Last Frontier
Up north here, grass fed beef was 4.29 per pound hanging weight and 19% hamburger was 4.59 per pound at 25lb minimum. Last week, the burger jumped to 7.99 a pound and they sold out. There's a 4-6 month weight for half/whole cow if you want.

Pork is 3.29 per pound hanging weight, fully processed, vacuum packed, smoked bacon/hocks and breakfast sausage, so I dropped for a big one and filled every last inch of our freezers.

Thankfully, the rest of the freezers are full of moose, caribou and remnants of last seasons fishing. Time to start that restocking tonight actually.

AKMarty

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2019
AK
If you want good beef for cheapest you possibly can: go by it on the hoof and do the deed in totality. Sale barn guys can help you out usually and be your proxy to buy your animal if you cant find a rancher (hard to believe, but maybe). Then go pick it up and start to work. It simply a matter of logistics and want-to. There is an upside: you wont forget the experience, you will learn something about the meat supply chain and you might find a like-minded bud somewhere along the way - you know, they guys the politicians ignore or call ignorant but love to live off the work of their backs... Plus it gets you away from grocery store cellophane.

I'm not kidding with this comment. It could be a very positive life experience.
First time my daughter shot a caribou, it started making its death sounds. When we got to the animal 235yds away, it was the beginning of a life experience. As we started cleaning the animal, she got really interested in the anatomy. She packed the critter out herself. That along with other experiences ignited a love for all things created and how they work.

One day as a wife or mother, she will know how to provide for her family. No delusions that food comes from a grocery store.

loboman7x57

Private
Belligerents
Dec 14, 2008
saginaw,mi
Picked a 1/4 beef up from the processor yesterday. my farmer friend charges 2.40 a hanging pound, I got a slightly better price than that. the processor charges .55 lb vacuum packed. The beef was aged 2 weeks. I have a hog to pick up next week. 200 for the pig, .55 for vacuum packing, and .90 lb for smoking the hams, bacon, and hocks.

Reactions: BG94591

armorpl8chikn

General Pain in the Ass
Belligerents
Aug 17, 2010
Western NC
Those high end sushi knives are for show and way too expensive for normal work.

View attachment 7331063
I'm with ya Snubby. I won't laugh at you.
I own Henkels, Wilkinson's sword, and some expensive Japanese knife they'd have you believe was made by Hattori Honzo.
My favorite knife in my kitchen, and most used:
$13.50
Made in the USA since 1948

Reactions: Snuby642

armorpl8chikn

General Pain in the Ass
Belligerents
Aug 17, 2010
Western NC
In other news.
I have butchered a 900lb cow.
I have lined chickens up ten at a time on chain link fence and cut throats. I've butchered tame rabbits, wild rabbits, squirrels, coins, deer, and slaughtered and scalded hogs.

Like Foul Mike, I am lacking in the abilities department of late, but I'm sure I'll get it done.

Bandsaws and such sure are nice, but I never saw a bandsaw at a hog killing in my time.
Folks will remember "how it used to be done" pretty quick.

If I was you city folk, I'd be worried about the locals learning how to serve man.

• Haha
Reactions: BG94591