• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ryanbth1

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2014
I've read a whole lot about maching your own ARs and parts and just out of curiousity (if I ever want to get into that hobby) is any special license required for maching registered parts (ie lower reciever)?

Also, can anyone suggest a good beginner's mill and lathe that's easy to use and cheap?

Thanks, Ryan

No license required for building your own personal firearms. Be careful with the word "registered", it is generally reserved for NFA items and does require a Form 1 to be filed with the NFA branch and approved before you can start construction (along with a $200 tax for each item). Individuals cannot build machine guns under any circumstance, you must be a licensed firearms manufacturer with the appropriate SOT for that.

If you are talking about buying an 80% lower and a drill jig and swiss cheesing it in your garage on a harbor freight mini drill press... no license required. Just be careful and don't win any Darwin awards.

I believe the federal regulations allow for the manufacturing of up to three firearms a year for personal use, and without the intent to sell. You can make your own, but you can't machine them for sale without a manufacturing license (separate type of FFL iirc).

The Federal law has not limits of the numbers you can make. Of course, if you make a LOT, you might have to explain why and where they all are. :)

You can sell them, but cannot make them to sell.

And yes, there is a different FFL needed to manufacture firearms. IIRC it is an 07 license.

Grizzly has good stuff, but i haven't looked at a catalog in like 5 years

Get yourself a Grizzly machinery catalog. lathes/mills can run from a grand to tens of thousands.... south bend is about as crazy as you can go.

on the way lighter end look around for a Smithy lathe and mill, its a dual set up (belt driven) . You can usually find them cheap. Those are good for small stuff like a ar-15 bbl or even threading and chambering sporter barrels.

i may be over exaggerating BUT be warned

If you have never worked with a lathe consult with someone personally that has worked with them, another thing is do NOT wear over-sized clothes or you will regret it. When the 3 or 4 jaw chuck grabs your shirt, it isnt fun at all. Iv seen people get killed screwing around with lathes... even small belt driven ones can hurt you.. Please don't let that affect your future hobby, as free hand machinists are fading fast.
The guys above are pretty spot on, Unless its for a friend or family. who really cares if you milled out a lower. As long as it has the serial# on it and it isnt hot, your fine. Remember to check state laws. some states are as****es about stuff like this. Make sure you do not plan on doing it to make a lot of money... or its wise to have the above.

Good luck and be safe:

Jim

Last edited:
Google littlemachineshop.com -- for the occasional pistol or AR lower machining, the have their HiTorque series which are good values.