• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Being a idiot

gotsocom?

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2011
phx az maricopa
I was depriming some old 30/06 brass.I was running it through a die popping out live corrsive primers.It was all crimped so kind of a pain one didn't pop out the die stretched the primer and punched a hole rite through it.Well i didn't think it could go off now so i took it and a small puch and hit it.As you can see it came out the hard way.The little white dot is the primer.

Re: Being a idiot

Ouch, I"m too chicken to even remove live primers in my own 3x fired brass I've pulled bullets on.

Yeah the title says it all. I am glad you still have all your fingers. Almost every reloading manual I have ever read said to not do exactly what you did....

I always put them in my rifle and practice "dry" firing if I have any that need to be de-primed with live primers. Is it a good guess that you didn't have a 30-06 to do that with, or were you just in a hurry? You picture is the exact reason I still have about 250 WWII 06 cases with live primers in them. I don't want to soak them and I don't have a 06. So they sit there, powder and bullet has been pulled but I like my fingers.

Stupid should hurt, I hope you learned your lesson. BUT I AM GLAD YOUR OKAY.

Dont feel bad I made that mistake once. I was a lot luckier than you though Just a glancing scrach. Yours is a spendy one I see....

Glad to see your okay. As you can see in my user name, I can't afford to be foolish with my digits.
smile.gif

Suhum bitch, first the guy who makes the 50 cal bottle openers and now you... Dammit man. Guess the question is who's next? Won't be me.

Glad it wan't worse for you though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Suhum bitch, first the guy who makes the 50 cal bottle openers and now you... Dammit man. Guess the question is who's next? Won't be me.

Glad it wan't worse for you though. </div></div>

Yeah really right?

Glad your in one piece, but did you not sit down and think about what you were doing BEFORE you did it? That's dangerous business right there.

I was just in a hurry and really didn't think it was any good since it had a hole punched through it.lessons learned

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beavis1971</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ouch, tough lesson learned. Glad that you are ok. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: got-socom?</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well i didn't think it could go off now so i took it and a small puch and hit it. </div></div>

Why do you think they still call out the Bomb Disposal Squad when they dig up old WW1 or WW2 ordnance and ammo in the UK and Europe?

This stuff can still go boom for a LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG time!!

..and, knowing they're live, taking a punch and hitting it....Jeez, what were you thinking??

I'm glad you still have your eyes, hand and fingers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stitches on the palm is rough... </div></div>

I lol'd...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lizzardking308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stitches on the palm is rough... </div></div>

I lol'd... </div></div>

Same here, blisters are bad enough hahahahaaaaa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Suhum bitch, first the guy who makes the 50 cal bottle openers and now you... Dammit man. </div></div>

I missed the bottle opener guy thing? What happened to him?
Is the value of my opener going up now, or is he OK?

Man, the repair looks worse than the damage. At least it wasn't worse.

Oh man...Glad you're ok, I've deprimed live primers and I'm sure most of us all have! I cringe everytime I do one too.

damn.........I was just tellin my son the other day about the power of a primer.

there was a guy on another forum,that tried to push out a bunch of stuck primers in a dillon reloading tube.....with a coat hanger.

well they went off and mangled/melted the tube, and he luckily only had powder burns and a mangled pinkie. he was lucky he had saftey glasses on too

Wow, that hurts.
Glad you still have your parts.
Best wishes.

If your gonna be dumb...you gotta be tough...

re

thanks for the heads up, bet there are more who have had close calls. I know I have. Like today with my 10" sliding compound mitre saw - no blood tho- after using one for 30+ years. Glad you are not hurt worse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should have used a Bigger Hammer !</div></div>

Ha ha ha he he he!!

Sure safety is important but folks get excited fast on the net. If you guys knew some of the things I have done I'd prolly be banned.

Back when I was still in diapers my dad caught me eating (#209 shotgun) primers. It took him a while to get the lady that answered the poison control line calmed down so he could get some info out of her.

Yeah next time use a bigger hammer AND put a piece of leather over your hand!

: )

PS- Oil kills modern priming compound,not water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stitches on the palm is rough... </div></div>
Exactly what I thought when I saw it. So had to read, although I got my stitches from a crow decoy...um yeah
Glad all is ok, thanks for the info hope it heals up ok. I'll keep that in mind next time I play with live ones an the depriming cycle.

That sucks - glad you're OK now. Thanks for passing on the lesson, that was something I would have done without knowing.

Dude no more not thinking please.It all went wrong faster then it took to make it go wrong.Glade your ok bro i had a 45 to discharge in my hand about 6months ago and i still can't get that shit/moment out my mind i couldn't feel my other fingers for about a week.

A few years back when I worked for an ammunition company, I had a primer feed mechanism go off. It was a motorized tray that flipped and fed into a brass tube.

Well, the slide bar on the loading machine malfunctioned and smashed a primer directly under the feeder tube simultaniously detonating the contents of the tube and nearly every primer in the feed mechanism.

All total about 500 primers went off at the same time. After I calmed down and took stock of things, I noticed that the ceiling 35' above me had been peppered with primers. Gave me a whole new respect for those little guys. I also wore safety glasses at all times after that incident.

Glad you came out OK on that deal, but it looks like the doc was quite the hack with a scalple...