• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benchmark Barrels Build 270 WSM (pic heavy)

RemingtonSPS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
Tri-Cities, WA
Well after shooting out my previous Benchmark Rifle 6.5 WSM, im having it reborn in 270 WSM. So sitting here waiting for my build to come along i thought i would share a start to finish project with you guys. I have a few pictures to start but i will be frequently posting updated pictures as the project progresses. Here is a link to what the rifle was before i toasted the barrel Benchmark Barrels 6.5 WSM

I used it hunting and competing and decided it needed a few changes.

OregonSniper3.jpg

FamilyMontanaTrip2011042.jpg

Originally I wanted to have a dual purpose rifle that i could hunt longrange and compete with. Due to finacial reasons i wanted to have just one well built rifle instead of having multiple so-so rifles. The switches i decided to make were 1st the Stock.

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">Changing The Setup</span></span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">Manners MCS-T3</span></span>. While i thought this was a good stock it never did fit me quite right. I felt i had to muscle the rifle alot. The cheek weld wasn't right, the grip was wrong, the length of pull was too short, so I decided to switch to the A3. I found a good deal on the A3 Edge stock here on the Hide. Im fitting it with a Karsten to solve the cheek weld problem.

SANY0998.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">A3 Edge</span></span>
SANY1048.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">The DBM</span></span>. I decided to stick with the Seekins DBM. I can load the Matrix 175gr VLD Into the lands and still have room in the magazine.

SANY1049.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-size: 14pt">Optics</span></span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">USO T-Pal</span></span>. I started out with the USO T-Pal on this rifle. I liked it alot. It's strengths were first off the turrets. I liked the M40#3 turrets because they were a 2 turn setup giving me 27 MOA per revolution. I also liked the Reticle having 1 MOA increments for ranging. First focal plane...on and on it goes.

SANY1016.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">Nightforce NXS</span></span>. What prompted the switch to Nightforce was first off price. I could sell my USO and have money left over to put into other necessary gear. I found that the first focal plane of the USO wasn't necessary. Niether was the 11 position illumination. Since i chose the USO over the Nightforce that i originally had Nightforce has come out with their High Speed turrets. I like having the 20 Moa per revolution and a Zero Stop. Basically the Nightforce does everything i need it to at less cost, simple and rugged, back to basics. I know there are people that will disagree with me on this but after doing a side by side test the Nightforce also had better glass than my USO. I also liked the thinner reticle of the NP-R1, it was easier to hold on small objects at long range.

SANY1050.jpg

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">The Cartridge</span></span></span>

The original chambering was a 6.5 WSM. I chose this cartridge because i wanted 6.5x284 velocity with the 140gr class bullets in a shorter barrel. With the barrel Nitrided from MMI Trutec acceptable accuracy lasted to 950 rounds. Since building that rifle Matrix has come out with some VLD bullets in the .277 caliber that look real promising. They have a 165gr VLD that has been tested at a muzzle velocity of 3,000fps to have a G1 BC of .650. They also have a 175gr VLD that has a tested BC of .700. After doing some research with people that have tested the Matrix bullets i decided to go with the .270 WSM. The .270 WSM allows me to get 3,000fps+ with both bullets out of a 27.5" barrel. I chose to go with a Benchmark 9 twist 5R barrel finished at 27.5".

I plan to do an <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">ATACS</span></span> camo dip on the stock. And Nitride on the barrel. I stayed with the BAT Action

WTP-452DCSA-Tacs.jpg

...stay tuned for more pics and updates

Re: Benchmark Barrels Build...Reviving the .270 (pics)

Atacs is a sick looking pattern Should be a killer dual purpose rig

Looking forward to seeing this come together. I was looking at those .277 projectiles yesterday, drooling! Any links to the tests on the bullets? I was wondering what their tested BC would be compared to their listed static BC.

Will be looking in on this build. I have also thought about putting together a .270 WSM

Will be watching this one! I have always loved the. 277 caliber, too much O' Conner,
Bodington, and parental influence not to I guess. Love the Wm's as well, with the matrix bullets, it's a a sounds like a perfect match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking forward to seeing this come together. I was looking at those .277 projectiles yesterday, drooling! Any links to the tests on the bullets? I was wondering what their tested BC would be compared to their listed static BC. </div></div>

Here is a link to the testing of the Matrix .277 cal 165-175 VLD's. At 3,000fps it looks like .650-.660bc for the 165gr and .700 for the 175gr. The research i have done poking around on different websites and my buddy's own testing confirm these results.

.277 Matrix Bullets

Stockdoc....That's a nice lookin rig
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Indypendent</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What'd you buy with the money you gained from the USO->NF switch? </div></div>

Tons of smaller kit that i wouldn't have had the money for otherwise. But i am also saving for the G7 BR2 Rangefinder.

Here she is all dry fit together. We weighed all the parts and with the NF the whole setup should weigh about 11 lbs. Last night we got the stock milled out for the Bat action and the Seekins bottom metal. Now we have to bed the Action, Cerakote the barrel, fill in and recut the bolt channel, prime texture paint and dip the stock, etc....Stay tuned

SANY1057.jpg

SANY1061.jpg

SANY1064.jpg

SANY1065.jpg

Left to Right:

Matrix 165gr VLD, Matrix 175gr VLD, Berger 7mm 180gr Hybrid

Cant wait to see the end results nice

Congrats it looks great. I see you went with Benckmark's removable Tactical Muscle Brake as well. You will not be disappointed in the brake. My 6.5x284 just has almost no recoil with that brake on it.

Your gun looks very simliar to a build that Woody at X Ring Accuracy just finished for me in 6.5x284.

Woody liked it so well he put it on the cover of his web site.

IMG_0073.jpg

Let us know how it shoots when you get it all together. I bet it shoots lights out.

Again it is a beautiful rifle.

AR

Thanks. Thats thing is awesome. I like the painted flutes. I plan on doing a full range report too. How does that 6.5x284 shoot?

Thanks MH

You got it going the right direction. I appreciate you posting things up as you as you do them. Fun to watch it go together.

I have just started working up loads, but the ones it seems to like so far produced some sub 0.35 (0.343 - 0.263) groups at a 100 yds.

I have only put 25 through it so far, but it rung steel from 100 to 600 with first shots hits at every yardage.

When I get my best load worked up I plan to post a range report. Hopefully I will get it done week after next.

Keep up the good work and keep posting.

AR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aquatic_Robotic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Fun to watch it go together. I have just started working up loads, but the ones it seems to like so far produced some sub 0.35 (0.343 - 0.263) groups at a 100 yds.</div></div>

I like seeing pic heavy builds too. Your going through my favorite step of finding that sweet load. Do post pics when you get them. The only thing more fun than looking at custom guns is the bug holes they produce.

I will be popping the action out tomorrow morning and working on filling the bottom metal area. Then we will do a final finish clean up pass on the mill. Stay tuned.

The sign below the barrel had me laughing. So does your wife have a habit of picking up after you thinking you left stuff out?

Ya. I tell her but then she doesn't listen. You gotta respect the sign
laugh.gif

It works too.

My laundry room doubles as my work shop so she's always moving my stuff out of her way.

The bedding job looks sweat cant what to see the end results.

Looks like an awesome build!

ddj

Got it Cerakoted tonight, installed the Karsten cheek piece, and got to try out our new oven we built over this weekend. Once it cooled off i dry fit everything together again. Going to head out to Benchmark tomorrow to drop of a barreled action and to tighten up my barreled action in the vise.

SANY1093.jpg

SANY1089.jpg

SANY1088.jpg

SANY1087.jpg

Looks fantastic and I know it will shoot. Range report please!

What order of "NINJA" is that is the background of the "ready for CeraKote" pic?? Very ominous looking in the hazy shadows. LOL

My first outing with 6.5x284 posted here. It shoots!!

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...108#Post3011108

I wish I had your skills so I could do some of this myself. Alas I must work to make enough $$ so I can afford to hire others to do what I can't.

The "American Way" & Capitalism I LOVE them both.

AR

That's the cerakote ninja
smile.gif

Ron and jerry at benchmark have been good friends and kind enough to teach me on their tools how to do my own work. They are some of the very best guys I know and are awesome to deal with.

Don't know the guys at Benchmark, but I am currently shooting three of their barrels and two of their brakes. Their products are "Top Tier". Any future build I do will certainly have a Benchmark barrel on it!! Maybe I should get to know them since I owb their products. Long way from Texas though.

Let us know how it shoots??

AR

Re: Benchmark Barrels Build 270 WSM (pic heavy)

Are matrix bullets very picky have a buddy that wants to try them in his .270 wsm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are matrix bullets very picky have a buddy that wants to try them in his .270 wsm </div></div>

According to all the guys i have talked to that use them they are very easy to load for. They don't have an Ogive thats very aggressive, it's more like a Matchking Ogive so they shoot easily. I think their high BC comes from the heavy for caliber bullet weight and boat tail design (see pics above). I have not tested them yet as i am still putting my rifle together but i have high hopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking good! Did you not melonite your new barrel? </div></div>

I was going to but a close friend talked me out of it so i just Cerakoted it.

bat machine action?!?!? those are sweet, I have a VR pic action on my 243 ai, its a bank vault. that built in rail I think ads some consistency. its a tank of an action. surgeon and BAT are the only ones I know of that offer built in lug and rail and surgeon states their action is built to larger tolerances. I personally have not had a lick of issues with my action and dust.. I think the spiral fluting gets rid of any gumming up problems

A little spray on texture and some base coat for the Atacs dip. Decided to do my Glock while i was at it.

SANY1099.jpg

SANY1100.jpg

SANY1101.jpg

I LOVE the painting jig that you made....that is exactly what I am in need of to paint this stock I am working on. Thanks for posting it!

Man, that looks good!!! Can't wait to see how it shoots!!
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigngreen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, that looks good!!! Can't wait to see how it shoots!!
cool.gif
</div></div>

Thanks for all your help pushing me in this direction Rhian. Hope you don't mind i shared your load info. I was able to snag some Federal 215 match magnum primers i want to try out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigngreen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, that looks good!!! Can't wait to see how it shoots!!
cool.gif
</div></div>

Thanks for all your help pushing me in this direction Rhian. Hope you don't mind i shared your load info. I was able to snag some Federal 215 match magnum primers i want to try out.</div></div>

You may be blaming me later!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little spray on texture and some base coat for the Atacs dip. Decided to do my Glock while i was at it.

SANY1100.jpg

</div></div>

What type of spray on texture is that if I may ask? Thanks

Some cars have a paintable spray on texture that goes around the lower skirt. That is what i used since i was painting over it with automotive paint. You can get it at an automotive paint supply company in an aerosol can.

Coming this spring, Berger 270 cal 170 gr EOL bullet, saw a G1 BC of .703 floating around.
wink.gif
Just got some 7 RSAUM brass and I'm going to size it down, cram a 165 Matrix in one and ship it in to Kiff to get a reamer ground, hopefully Lapua will make some brass and I'll be ahead of the curve.

No range report yet?

No not yet. im trying to hydrodip the stock. so far my attempts have failed, i could send it off but im not one to do something halfway. im currently building a dipping tank with a digital pid temperature controller for future dipping projects. i will upload some pics as soon as i get the chance. i also need to send your eamer back to you rhian, sorry i have hung onto it so long. i will drop it in the mail tonight.

Well after further consideration (and some convincing of my brother) i decided to switch from doing Atacs camo to Cabela's Outfitter Camo. All of my hunting gear is in Cabela's Camo so we thought it would be cool and one of a kind if the stock matched my camo. So here is a pic of the stock after my brother painted it Outfitter Camo for me. Thanks Jason!

Cabelascamostock.jpg

That looks sweet. I wish I was there to see it shoot for the first time. I love the pic of the Ninja.