• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benelli m2 vs Beretta 1301 vs Wilson Combat CQB

Barn Side

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2012
I'm looking at buying once, crying once for a 12g shotgun. Currently looking at Benelli m2, Beretta 1301 & Wilson Combat CQB Shotgun. Just wondering what others here would recommend?
Much appreciated

I have the Benelli/HK m2. It is a great shotgun. If my life absolutely depended on it, I'd still choose a Mossberg or 870 based pump. It's just more robust than anything gas operated. Whatever you choose- practice with it is still more important than the platform.

Benelli M2. We have 2 of these in our family that we compete with monthly 3 gun matches. No issues with them and would not sell these ever. Not looking for alternatives either. Highly recommend.
63BBFD3C-03FD-4667-86D8-953E45FE8FEE.jpeg
63BBFD3C-03FD-4667-86D8-953E45FE8FEE.jpeg

I'm looking at buying once, crying once for a 12g shotgun. Currently looking at Benelli m2, Beretta 1301 & Wilson Combat CQB Shotgun. Just wondering what others here would recommend?
Much appreciated

Read this thread
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/benelli-m2-vs-beretta-1301.6997511/

I'd be getting the 1301 without question.

What are you looking to do with it. The M2, 1301 and WC 870 are very different. You have have a fancy overpriced 870 vs a gas gun and inertia gun. The M2 and 1301 can be had or set up in a multitude of ways.

As far as a tactical HD set up LTT has a pretty nice 1301 package.

Between those a 1301 followed by the M2, but if you want the best then a Benelli M4...

The Wilson is just a glorified 870. They’re nice but not worth anywhere near their price tag. At that rate if you want a pump I’d rather have a Mossberg 590 unless you want to run a pistol grip stock. They kinda blow for that since you have to break grip to operate the safety.

The M4 is the best tactical shotgun followed by a 1301 though.

Reactions: W8RZ and E. Bryant
Between those a 1301 followed by the M2, but if you want the best then a Benelli M4...

The Wilson is just a glorified 870. They’re nice but not worth anywhere near their price tag. At that rate if you want a pump I’d rather have a Mossberg 590 unless you want to run a pistol grip stock. They kinda blow for that since you have to break grip to operate the safety.

The M4 is the best tactical shotgun followed by a 1301 though.
The M4 is in no way "Better" than a M2, or 1301.
It's just different.

The decision between a 1301 and M2 is a toss up.
Basically, do you want a gas, or inertia gun. Reliability wise, they are equal, with a slight nod to the m2, since inertia guns run very clean, even after high shell count.

M4 is the best COMBAT shotgun. No question.
However, anything outside of that, and it's heavy. Also, ghost rings suck.
M2 and 1301 are far more versitile. Lighter, point better. They're the absolute best 3 Gun shotguns. Great for hunting, ect.

It's just different.

Basically, do you want a gas, or inertia gun. Reliability wise, they are equal, with a slight nod to the m2, since inertia guns run very clean, even after high shell count.

M2 and 1301 are far more versitile. Lighter, point better. They're the absolute best 3 Gun shotguns. Great for hunting, ect.
Absolutely concur with the M2/M4 points.

Reactions: Barn Side
Benelli M2. We have 2 of these in our family that we compete with monthly 3 gun matches. No issues with them and would not sell these ever. Not looking for alternatives either. Highly recommend. View attachment 7698598View attachment 7698598
I'm surprised that you haven't opened up the bottom of the receiver and changed or welded the loading gate. I would get my finger stuck loading my M2 so I changed the loading gate.

I have a Roth Performance shotgun on the way which is their receiver in a M2 format with an opened up bottom for easier feeding. Looking forward to trying that out.

I have a 1301 and a Benelli Supernova. Love the 1301 but don't particularly like the Supernova. Slide release requires baseball mitts or wrist acrobatics. Otherwise, it's fine, and it eats 3.5". If I could have only one shotgun though, 590a1.

I've been on the 1301 train for a while...they're light, they run fast and clean, and shoot very soft. My 1301 Comp eats whatever I throw into it.

If you get a 1301 make sure it has the new bolt release, the originals could send a round halfway onto the lifter and lock the gun up if you bumped it towards the rear. Beretta made a chincy plastic piece that solves it, but they charge you $10 for the $0.22 part to fix their fuckup. The newer ones with the stamped, overmolded lever don't have this problem. All of the Aridus Beretta parts are great (when you can find them). If you keep the factory furniture the texture on the fore-end and grip are probably my favorites of any gun out there.

If I could only have one, it would be the newer 1301 Tactical with threaded chokes and the new release lever. Easy button is the LTT 1301, the price is very decent for what you're getting.

I had this same issue, which to buy. I bought the Benelli M4 H2O. For less than $2000, you're getting what is in my opinion the best CQB semi auto shotgun out there. It's almost 2lb heavier than the 1301, so if weight could be a problem I'd go with the 1301. If you want rugged reliability the M4 is the only shotgun you should consider. The M4 handles the heavier loads better than any other shotgun in it's class. The weight also helps with heavier loads too. The only issue with any Benelli (if this bothers you) is that to upgrade to 7+1 capacity, you have to deal with the 922R issues of a foreign firearm.

Good Luck!

Reactions: W8RZ and Barn Side
I'm surprised that you haven't opened up the bottom of the receiver and changed or welded the loading gate. I would get my finger stuck loading my M2 so I changed the loading gate.

I have a Roth Performance shotgun on the way which is their receiver in a M2 format with an opened up bottom for easier feeding. Looking forward to trying that out.
It’s hard to tell in the pic but our Benelli M2’s both have the OEM M4 lifters installed. They are longer. There was a write up on this somewhere a while back that I read and decided to give it a try. They work great. No pinched thumbs and shells slide in nice. Full functionality. I did try TT lifters recently just to see what the fuss was about but couldn’t get them to work 100% of the time. This was on both our guns. Issue was we couldn’t unload it using the shell stop. Shell came out a stuck on the front of the lifter. This was a no go. Chatted with TT and sent the lifters back to them to investigate. Also haven’t found the need to open up the bottom as we can both do the load 2 just fine.

870 is fine, but get a beater $150 one from a pawn shop, throw a mag extension on it, hacksaw the bbl to 18in,and let it be. It's a damn solid pump gun, but is massively under qualified compared to a solid semi.

The Wilson one is taking a $275 gun, adding $700 in bullshit to it, to make it cost $1800, but be worth $250. Miss me with that gay shit.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to lug an M4 to a sporting clay outing. As well, I wouldn't to bring a double barrel on a dove shoot.

Everything has it's place. Sometimes, you may need a few for that one special place.

I wouldn't want to lug an M4 to a sporting clay outing. As well, I wouldn't to bring a double barrel on a dove shoot.

Everything has it's place. Sometimes, you may need a few for that one special place.

No disagreement, but there ain't nothing wrong with lugging an M4 around the local sporting clays course. If it was designed only for serious work, Benelli wouldn't have threaded it for chokes :LOL:

I might bring it up to Boy Scout camp for the fundraiser shoot this fall, since Instructor Carl should give me less crap about it than he would for my A400 "smurf gun". And if he's going to play the same games as we did during the adult shoot at camp this summer (where there were 4-6 birds in the air at any given moment), then I might "accidentally" stuff a few extra rounds in the mag.

As far as the OP's question is concerned, the right answer is "all three, plus a few extras". But I'd probably forego the fancy Wilson version of the 870 and instead find a pawn-shop gun.

This will help you, think of the 870 like a 700. No matter what you do to it or if Moses himself licked it, it's still an 870 or 700----

But, if you want, get an 870 put Magpul furniture on it and go by the 5.11 store for some BDU's and you're in!

It’s hard to tell in the pic but our Benelli M2’s both have the OEM M4 lifters installed. They are longer. There was a write up on this somewhere a while back that I read and decided to give it a try. They work great. No pinched thumbs and shells slide in nice. Full functionality. I did try TT lifters recently just to see what the fuss was about but couldn’t get them to work 100% of the time. This was on both our guns. Issue was we couldn’t unload it using the shell stop. Shell came out a stuck on the front of the lifter. This was a no go. Chatted with TT and sent the lifters back to them to investigate. Also haven’t found the need to open up the bottom as we can both do the load 2 just fine.
My current M2 isn't opened up. I noticed I have to be a bit more careful loading it. I have the TT gate and haven't had issues with it.
This is the first I heard about using the M4 gate. That is cool, glad it has worked for you!

Read this thread
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/benelli-m2-vs-beretta-1301.6997511/

I'd be getting the 1301 without question.

What are you looking to do with it. The M2, 1301 and WC 870 are very different. You have have a fancy overpriced 870 vs a gas gun and inertia gun. The M2 and 1301 can be had or set up in a multitude of ways.

As far as a tactical HD set up LTT has a pretty nice 1301 package.
And just today I saw a blurb from Beretta and they have come out with a new ENHANCED version. Great shotgun but for home defense get a Mossberg 18"-20" barreled one.

I have the M2. It is has been 100% reliable with everything that I have run through it. Don't hang a lot of crap on it and it will be awesome. The more you shoot it, the better it gets.

Reactions: W8RZ and stefan73
Much appreciated
I carried a Benelli M1 Super90, a Beretta 1201FP, and a Remington 1187 Police on duty. My favorite, BY FAR, was the M1 Super90.

Reactions: MJF and beavis1971
Much appreciated
I love my Benelli. Im 65 yrs old and shot an 870 starting at age 10. Mpved to a Remington 1187 20 years ago..Switched to .I got a Benelli Legacy and I really like it..Would not go back for a hunting gun or clays. For Protection Id stay with Rem. 870.

I have both an M2 and a Remington V3 Tactical/Competition that we purchased to run for 3 gun. The V3 operates much like the M4. It is both inertia and gas driven. Both shoot well and function flawlessly. If you are going to run 3 gun, hunt with it and also use it as a home defense gun, I would go with a 22”-26” M2. My favorite go to guns for daily use are a Winchester M12 and a Browning BPS, both pump shotguns. They feel great in my hands and I shoot well with both, but for a one and done, do all gun I would choose the Benelli M2. I like the Beretta 1301 but it is a little short for my liking and there is more after market support for the M2 and 870. All three of your choices will shoot well, but the one that feels and points the best to you is most likely your best choice.
42867C08-0811-4E96-9F15-2F32C81BCF56.jpeg

If you get a 1301 make sure it has the new bolt release, the originals could send a round halfway onto the lifter and lock the gun up if you bumped it towards the rear. Beretta made a chincy plastic piece that solves it, but they charge you $10 for the $0.22 part to fix their fuckup.
I don't know, my 1st gen 1301 is getting close to 20k rounds on it plus countless hours of loading practice and the only time I've had this happen is when I'm showing someone else why they shouldn't push the back of the bolt release.
Also, the fastest way to unload it and not drop all the shells on the ground is to use the back of the bolt release.

I don't know, my 1st gen 1301 is getting close to 20k rounds on it plus countless hours of loading practice and the only time I've had this happen is when I'm showing someone else why they shouldn't push the back of the bolt release.
Also, the fastest way to unload it and not drop all the shells on the ground is to use the back of the bolt release.

I definitely do not have 20k rounds or countless hours of loading practice.

I bumped it a couple times when I first got it and that was enough to make me want to get the backer plate.

5B022F14-8FC3-4E2E-A068-926577EC0D88.jpeg
As I’m always a proponent of the KISS method. As a window licker short bus rider the M2 just has too many “bells & whistles” for me personally. We all are aware the M2 sits at the left side of Gods throne but dang it, I just wanted simple operation when my diapers getting filled and need a fight stopper. Trigger press,pump, rinse & repeat. The 590a1 gots all that covered for moi at under $750 pesos as you see it pictured. Likes me my simple smoke poles I do.

Something to think about is the talk of reliability. And I agree this is important. Also mentioned was to practice with your setup to become proficient. I also agree this is important. But I will say that there is no way I could / would want to be working a pump under stress. Like real stress of a threat in my face type of stress. I’ve seen folks really stumble at matches just trying to get their gun off safe when the buzzer goes off to start a match. Also short stroking a pump happens a lot at matches and this is only timer induced stress. Not a real life threat stress. Im only saying this to point out that we are a big part of the reliability issue and need to factor that in as well. Practice with your gear 😁

Reactions: Paladin300
View attachment 7699639As I’m always a proponent of the KISS method. As a window licker short bus rider the M2 just has too many “bells & whistles” for me personally. We all are aware the M2 sits at the left side of Gods throne but dang it, I just wanted simple operation when my diapers getting filled and need a fight stopper. Trigger press,pump, rinse & repeat. The 590a1 gots all that covered for moi at under $750 pesos as you see it pictured. Likes me my simple smoke poles I do.
How does an M2 have too many "bells and whistles", and the same time you post a max dolled up pump?

Also, how is having to manually cycle an action simpler than pulling a trigger?

If I were going to buy once cry once and money wasn’t an issue, this would be the gun. Taran Tactical JW3 M2 $2999

JW3 Benelli M2

Reactions: W8RZ
How long does one have to wait for this shotgun???
Their website says it is in stock now. But I would call them and ask how long it would be before it shipped. You can also purchase a stock M2 and ship it to them and I think the retro fit is around $1800 for basically the same gun. The last one I sent off to have done by someone took about 3-4 months. I had Precision Tactical in Birmingham do my M2 after I ordered the parts from TT, parts came in less than a week. They are usually pretty on top of it. I order from them pretty regularly 2-3 times a year and they ship within days if it is in stock. I just finished a Glock 41 with them and Precision Tactical and it took about 3 months to complete.
B11FE786-6C00-4384-B996-B782835261F4.jpeg

Thanks, I was just curious. I recently bought an M4 H2O and have all of the upgrade goodies coming soon. For anyone looking to buy parts for the M2 and M4, some are hard to find in stock. You will need your GoogleSense for many parts. Even the companies who specialize in these shotguns are out of stock on many items. Some items have NO available date.

If you want an M2 and want to add the goodies, this Taran may be your best bet.

PS Remember that pesky 922R law.

Their website says it is in stock now. But I would call them and ask how long it would be before it shipped. You can also purchase a stock M2 and ship it to them and I think the retro fit is around $1800 for basically the same gun. The last one I sent off to have done by someone took about 3-4 months. I had Precision Tactical in Birmingham do my M2 after I ordered the parts from TT, parts came in less than a week. They are usually pretty on top of it. I order from them pretty regularly 2-3 times a year and they ship within days if it is in stock. I just finished a Glock 41 with them and Precision Tactical and it took about 3 months to complete.View attachment 7699899
Correction!!! They are not in stock and the website says that they are 45-60 weeks out on delivery. So basically a year. If you don’t want to wait that long, I would order the parts, if they have them and send it to someone like Precision Tactical in Birmingham, AL and let them do the work. They do good work. They did some of the work on mine. I had a local gunsmith do the trigger because he did a really good job on a Franchi I had. I installed most of the parts but Precision did the stipple work, gate, and ceracote. I bought the gun used for $750 from a friend. Custom work was around $1000 plus the parts. I have around $2200 in it. If I had to do it over I would probably spend the extra cash and just order it from TT and wait.

I have one of these on the way. Should arrive in 3-4 weeks.

It's just different.

Do explain to the class how something you describe as the best combat shotgun, isn’t the best shotgun...

Also please explain how something that’s now on its third generation trying to work out the kinks is better than a tried and true work horse.

I own an M4 and have owned an M2 28” that was set up for 3 gun as well a M2 Tactical as well as several other Benelli’s, and I have shot the 1301’s. The M4 is undoubtedly the best tactical shotgun that money can buy, yes it is better than a 1301 and an M2. The only thing they do better is weight, and I do want a 1301 for that reason for trekking around Alaska. But is it a superior shotgun to an M4 or as reliable? Fuck no.

Do explain to the class how something you describe as the best combat shotgun, isn’t the best shotgun...

Also please explain how something that’s now on its third generation trying to work out the kinks is better than a tried and true work horse.

I own an M4 and have owned an M2 28” that was set up for 3 gun as well a M2 Tactical as well as several other Benelli’s, and I have shot the 1301’s. The M4 is undoubtedly the best tactical shotgun that money can buy, yes it is better than a 1301 and an M2. The only thing they do better is weight, and I do want a 1301 for that reason for trekking around Alaska. But is it a superior shotgun to an M4 or as reliable? Fuck no.
You got any spec facts, or just opinion?
Define "tactical"

First off, it's possible to be the best in a specific catagory/role, but not the best in EVERY role. Anything about that you don't understand?

Tried and true? Uh, the m2 FAR outdates the m4, and is basically just a more ergonomic m1/1201. The m4 isn't new, but it's nowhere nearly as proven as an m2. It's also not nearly as versitile,or available in nearly as many options. It's a combat shotgun. Comes in 18in, in coated, or stainless. That's it. M2 comes in any length you want, any coating, even camo, slug only, different sight options, ect.
You ever tried running the m4 in a 3 gun match? I did. It's a heavy mofo.
M2 is eaisly the most proven 3 gun shotgun ever. It also does hunting duty eaisly. Birds, deer, squirrel, ect. M4 is as far from a hunting shotgun as you can get.
Reliability? I'd probably give it to the m2 as well just for being an inertia gun,but there's no clear data on which is the most reliable.
The m4 is more forgiving with various loads, and with shit hanging off of it. So, it has that going for it.
I'd still take a m2 for it's overall superior versatility.

I own a m4 as well as an M2, and have equal time with both. I wouldn't say one is superior to the other, only that they're different, and the m2 has an easier time filling multiple roles.

Define "tactical"

First off, it's possible to be the best in a specific catagory/role, but not the best in EVERY role. Anything about that you don't understand?

Tried and true? Uh, the m2 FAR outdates the m4, and is basically just a more ergonomic m1/1201. The m4 isn't new, but it's nowhere nearly as proven as an m2. It's also not nearly as versitile,or available in nearly as many options. It's a combat shotgun. Comes in 18in, in coated, or stainless. That's it. M2 comes in any length you want, any coating, even camo, slug only, different sight options, ect.
M2 is eaisly the most proven 3 gun shotgun ever. It also does hunting duty eaisly. Birds, deer, squirrel, ect. M4 is as far from a hunting shotgun as you can get.
Reliability? I'd probably give it to the m2 as well just for being an inertia gun,but there's no clear data on which is the most reliable.
The m4 is more forgiving with various loads, and with shit hanging off of it. So, it has that going for it.

I own a m4 as well as an M2, and have equal time with both. I wouldn't say one is superior to the other, only that they're different, and the m2 has an easier time filling multiple roles.
Well said! I totally agree! I believe the M2 is far more versatile for a one and done shotgun. The M4 is great if you are planning to storm the beaches or walk through the jungles slamming it in the mud and sand and blasting the enemy inside 50 yards. Thumbs up to the M4. But, for everything else including most combat situations the M2 would be my choice. It just points and handles more easily.

Define "tactical"

Considering that the OP listed two shotguns that’s come in tactical models, and then one shotgun that ONLY comes as a tactical model, I think it’s pretty safe to assume that a tactical shotgun is what the guy is looking for. You know damn well what a tactical shotgun is, I’m not going to explain it just for the sake of giving you something stupid to banter about. We get it that you’re a 3 gun gamer nerd and that’s what’s in your head, but not everyone is looking to go play weekend jersey dress up.

M2/inertia as reliable as an M4/gas? Absolutely fucking not, now I know you don’t know WTF you’re talking about. It’s been proven over and over that gas shotguns reliably run a broader range of shells than inertia. My M2 tactical wouldn’t run low brass reliably to save its life, I could even make it malfunction buckshot shooting from the hip with a weak grip. My M2 I setup for 3 gun would run low brass reliably after I put a bunch of parts on it, but I could also still make it hiccup pretty easily if I wasn’t super solid behind it. My SBE3 also wouldn’t run low brass at all and even high brass 2 3/4” stuff it didn’t like. Meanwhile my M4 I can cradle like it’s a feather barely holding it and it still cycles anything.

I kept my M4 over all the other shotguns I had when I downsized my collection from a vault to a safe to move. I kept it because it’s dead nuts reliable and can hunt and go bust clays. I’ve hunted turkey, squirrel, birds and deer with it very successfully. As successful as anything else I’ve ever used, with a handful of chokes and a red dot it can do anything. I’ve never hunted migratory birds but with a plug made from a wooden dowel I could do that too. I also bust more clays with it and that RMR than I ever did my fully setup Beretta silver pigeon.

Considering that the OP listed two shotguns that’s come in tactical models, and then one shotgun that ONLY comes as a tactical model, I think it’s pretty safe to assume that a tactical shotgun is what the guy is looking for. You know damn well what a tactical shotgun is, I’m not going to explain it just for the sake of giving you something stupid to banter about. We get it that you’re a 3 gun gamer nerd and that’s what’s in your head, but not everyone is looking to go play weekend jersey dress up.

M2/inertia as reliable as an M4/gas? Absolutely fucking not, now I know you don’t know WTF you’re talking about. It’s been proven over and over that gas shotguns reliably run a broader range of shells than inertia. My M2 tactical wouldn’t run low brass reliably to save its life, I could even make it malfunction buckshot shooting from the hip with a weak grip. My M2 I setup for 3 gun would run low brass reliably after I put a bunch of parts on it, but I could also still make it hiccup pretty easily if I wasn’t super solid behind it. My SBE3 also wouldn’t run low brass at all and even high brass 2 3/4” stuff it didn’t like. Meanwhile my M4 I can cradle like it’s a feather barely holding it and it still cycles anything.

I kept my M4 over all the other shotguns I had when I downsized my collection from a vault to a safe to move. I kept it because it’s dead nuts reliable and can hunt and go bust clays. I’ve hunted turkey, squirrel, birds and deer with it very successfully. As successful as anything else I’ve ever used, with a handful of chokes and a red dot it can do anything. I’ve never hunted migratory birds but with a plug made from a wooden dowel I could do that too. I also bust more clays with it and that RMR than I ever did my fully setup Beretta silver pigeon.
Lots of anecdotes and opinion going on.

But, if you want to entertain anecdotal evidence, then my experience is that I can't find a shell light enough that my m2 won't cycle.

I'm not sure why you're so hell bent on me saying one is "better", as I have not. I said they are simply different, and that the m2 has an edge on versatility. That's simply a fact, as it comes from Benelli in 2 dozen variations. Also, in multiple gauges. M4 has 2 offerings.

I'm glad you took your m4 hunting. Doesn't make it ideal.
I can take a vette through the mud, or a trophy truck on a circle track. Doesn't mean either are suited for it.

Last edited:
Everyone is going to like what they like. If I have an M4, I'm not going to review the 1301 favorably. If I own an 870, I'm not going to recommend the M4. This will be the usual response you will get on any forum.

However, I'm of the belief, that you should own multiple shotguns, so that you're not missing out on anything. I might own an 1100 and an M4. Both do their jobs very well but they both do different jobs.

Shotgun are indispensable.

Everyone is going to like what they like. If I have an M4, I'm not going to review the 1301 favorably. If I own an 870, I'm not going to recommend the M4. This will be the usual response you will get on any forum.
Well that's because people are retarded. If you can't view things objectively and be honest with yourself about something you spent your hard earned money on, maybe you shouldn't be recommending anything on a forum.
See the Savage threads for an example of this.

I have a 1301 and it’s kinda twin brother a A400 sporting clays shotgun. 1500 rds before I even think about cleaning the A400 with absolutely no failures to feed or extract going on 20,000 rds. Granted I’m not dropping it in mud or sand or whatever but it’s a proven performer. The 1301 Gen 2 is lighter than shit and sucks up Federal LE Buckshot 1145 fps like nothing, extremely light recoil and patterns perfect. I’m ordering up some of the Aridus Industries accessories next for the 1301. Still might get an M4 just because

Reactions: W8RZ and BullGear
Well that's because people are retarded. If you can't view things objectively and be honest with yourself about something you spent your hard earned money on, maybe you shouldn't be recommending anything on a forum.
See the Savage threads for an example of this.

How many times do you think that occurs? Sometimes it's because you can afford what you know is the best. Sometimes you'll get this preconceived botion about a certain firearm and you let that become the deciding factor. Sometimes it's because of an unpleasant experience with another firearm that manufacturer made.

We aren't computers and we all let our emotions get in the way of everyday decisions. Buying a shotgun isn't any different.

Reactions: gnochi