• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B-14R Range Report and Assessment

Forgot to add a feature to protect the extractors... Rev 1.1 is on the printer...
image.png

I have a 457 in the MPA chassis and will soon have either the MPA barrel or another IBI barrel for it. As for what I would take, more than likely the Bergara for its features, quality, customization and reliability.

I'm waiting I just pre ordered the carbon barreled action on brownells hope it's worth is I sold off a cz455 trainer

Your review is what swayed my decision haha! I'll update 2 see how the carbon fiber barrel shoots!

Reactions: khuber84
Ok have a quick question I’ve got a xlr carbon chassis SA. Can I order the carbon fiber barrel action and it will fit correct?

Very nice write up! I’ve been trying to get my hands on one of these for awhile now with no luck so far

Replacement mag from Bergara arrived today (3 days after ordering). Was a little worried it was in purgatory, as I never received a confirmation email or shipping notification.

Also received my TacSport Pro 2-stage. Nice trigger, still messing with the pull weights to get it dialed. Safety spring needed tweaking to keep from uninstalling itself. B&A support was quick to advise on a fix (just bend the spring a bit more). Safety still wobbles a bit when disengaged - was hoping for more from a $300 trigger.

No problems like that with my Bix TacSport PRO single stage. Yesterday my flat 90° shoe come. The guy at Bullet Central said installing that would remove all the side to side movement the trigger has now. Works for me as I wanted the 90° shoe anyway.

I put the 90° in right away. It, and the stock curved trigger, came with a tiny spring and BB for that issue. Be careful when you open the package.

That's nice. The guy, Luke I believe, with Bullet Central said Andy had started shipping the TachSport PRO with the spring and ball bearing. I bought mine from Brownells and probably got an older one.

To those that asked about vudoo vs bergara and bergara vs cz.

Vudoo more accurate and more consistent by a short and curly. I like the bolt and magazine on the bergara better.

Bergara vs cz. I had to put a bartlein on my cz to make it shoot with my bergara. I did put a single stage trigger tech in it. The 150.00 one from midway. I have had no issues. And I like it better than any trigger I own. I have 2 cz, kids, vudoo, and a tikka. Bergara is my favorite. They knocked it out of the park. Only thing I would have done differently is a 22in barrel. My bartlein at 22in cz in a manners is amazing in tracking. I am tempted to buy a manners for the bergara bc I love those stocks. Not bc I think it will shoot better. Having to play with all these I have been fortunate. But the bergara gets shot the most, by alot.

I don’t think there’s $50 worth of improvement there. Maybe if I tried one I’d think differently.

Reactions: Changed
Love the swept bolt concept, wish it was all black though... :cool:

Decided to put the barreled action in a spare MPA I had. With the short 18" barrel, I could stand to add a bit of weight up front. But, it's not all that bad.

Now that I have more available rise on the cheek, I have a set of Burris XTR 40moa rings I'll install tonight. I have a 20moa base now, so probably go with the 30moa bushings to get a total of 40moa. I doubt I could zero at 35y with anything more. I may have to remove the NV bridge, too, as the sun shade is close as it is now.

Now that KOD proved the B&A works, that'll be the next thing. Not too fond of flat triggers, so curved will be the one I choose.

AE02F81F-6495-412F-949F-4CF5491D14E2.jpeg
40ADBE83-FAE7-4832-B7E8-EC78287B0DFB.jpeg

Last edited:
Good looking set up, practice range and everything. Cool

Reactions: A&8's
Watching the wind today I finally decided that it was going to be fairly stable. I went to my buddies range and tried out some groups with something other than CCI SV. Some of the groups could have been a bit better if the conditions would have just let me get all 5 shots off before there was a change, but overall not too bad. Here are the groups. I would have tried some at 100 yds but the wind picked up and changed my mind.
IMG_20200305_181540.jpg
IMG_20200305_181620.jpg
IMG_20200305_181806.jpg

I'm intrigued by the Bergara action, especially the bolt. Compared to your other bolt photos, that Bergara bolt looks like it's suitable for a battlewagon howitzer ... with the double lugs etc. One can change a lot of components on these precision rimfires; but, changing the bolt & action just about amounts to changing the firearm.

What is the Bergara bolt headspace (depth from the bolt face, meeting the breach)? ... (` can be measured with a depth-gauge).

version2 chamber flags hot off the printer. Added extractor protection feature, deepened the recesses and added a more robust mag catch feature.

I'm all ears if anyone has any thoughts on how to improve this design further.

IMG_20200310_165345_01.jpg

Reactions: Parkerized
If anyone's interested, one can get a nice depth gauge for a small sum at:
iGauge digital depth gauge

Taylor Toolworks (on eBay) is a reliable, Good vendor; I've bought many tools from them. `can't beat their prices, either.

I can measure but I don't have a depth gauge.
Depending upon bolt access, you may get away with using the tail, sticking out from the bottom of your caliper gauge to measure depth. If the bottom of your caliper spans the bolt-face i.e. across either side of the cartridge recess, you may be able to drop the caliper tang into that cartridge recess and get a close-enough reading.

No, 50 yards. The Aguila ammo that I had skewed the results a bit because the rifle didn't really like their Rifle or Pistol Match ammo. I don't have the data in front of me but if I remember right the 20 round aggregate for 4 out of the 11 types was under 1/2" and a couple others were a shade over 1/2".
`don't know, but I suspect that the reason is longer headspace than the Aguila (and Eley) need.

Aguila, like Eley, employs shorter .038" case rim thickness than Lapua/SK, which uses the longer .0415" case rim thickness, as does CCI and most American rimfire ammo manufacturers, btw.

It's not that one size is better than the other; it's more a matter of fit. If you have size 10 feet, size 12 sneakers are going to swim on you. If a round is floating in the breeze within the chamber, where that round goes will not likely be as consistent (precision).

Chrono and accuracy results on the B-14R that I have.

Ammunition
Velocity
ES
SD
Avg. Group
Best Group
Aguila Rifle Match1,0733812.926.750
Aguila Pistol Match1,0764515.820.469
Aguila .22 Target Competition1,0753212.741.562
Eley Tenex1,076145.703.531
Federal Gold Medal Match1,0823110.406.250
Federal Gold Medal Target1,142329.624.375
SK Long Range1,084165.546.375
SK Standard+1,0693510.547.438
Lapua Center X1,0673810.738.562
Lapua Midas+1,067268.499.312
Lapua Biathlon Xtreme1,106124.468.437
Average groups calculated from four 5-shot groups from bench with bipod and rear bag at 50 yards. Muzzle velocity taken from 10 rounds over the chronograph 10 ft from the muzzle in 40°F temperatures.

I wanted to edit this to add one more metric, out of the 44 5-shot groups the data above represents 66% were under 5/8".
THANKS - for posting the above. Those results just about scream to me that the Bergara headspace must be more like .042" than .038", which is the Eley and Aguila case rim thickness size.

Federal and Lapua/SK employ the .0415" case rim thickness size.

I measured my B 14R bolt face to the depth where the case would contact it. Best I could measure was .041". Now if the bolt face touches the barrel breech face, that would give true .041" headspace.

Interestingly, I shot some sorted CCI SV for rim thickness, .040" and .041" sorts. This lot only had these 2 sizes +/_ .0005" on my dial caliper. Groups are below. Make your own decision. I wasn't shooting my best today as it was overcast and was near impossible to read mirage, and the wind though light was shifting constantly with the tail wind the worst culprit. Missed a few conditions due to rapid shifts, but I think you will get the idea.
IMG_20200311_132358.jpg

THANKS - for posting the above. Those results just about scream to me that the Bergara headspace must be more like .042" than .038", which is the Eley and Aguila case rim thickness size.

Federal and Lapua/SK employ the .0415" case rim thickness size.
I have to wonder why Center-X didn't do better.

Enjoyed the read thanks.
I second this. I think I've learned some and now am even more confused on the right route to go. Was pretty sure I should take the new cz 457 route. Then I remembered I had a xlr carbon chassis for Remington sa, so thinking the bergara barreled action is the way to go. It is a wonderful thing to have the problem of too many solid rim fire choices.

I second this. I think I've learned some and now am even more confused on the right route to go. Was pretty sure I should take the new cz 457 route. Then I remembered I had a xlr carbon chassis for Remington sa, so thinking the bergara barreled action is the way to go. It is a wonderful thing to have the problem of too many solid rim fire choices.
That’s a tuff one. Love the CZ

I have a couple of things to add.

First, I couldn't get consistent measurements with calipers when trying to measure the rim face on the bolt. FWIW, I didn't have any measurements come close to .400".

Second, Elftmann finally come through for me. Received the 3rd trigger today. Installed it, safety doesn't hit the bolt shroud now and I was able to get the weight down to an average of 5.5-6 oz. Shot 200 flawless rounds today so it was a huge success.

I can now recommend Elftmann along with Bix'n Andy for the Bergara B-14R. I want to say that if you do decide to buy the Elftmann, the ones on the seller's shelves will more than likely have the button head style screw holding the safety on. This button head will hit your bolt shroud. You will need a flat head screw. Just know this before you buy. The other issues I had, I believe were isolated incidents.

Reactions: beretta_man11
I measured my B 14R bolt face to the depth where the case would contact it. Best I could measure was .041". Now if the bolt face touches the barrel breech face, that would give true .041" headspace.

THANKS - for that measurement; .041" validates my suspicions, based upon make/model testing results, shown here, ... and case rim thicknesses, I've measured.

Again, there's nothing right or wrong about either headspace setting. Knowing the headspace just helps narrow-down .22LR make/model - to minimize money and time wasted, testing what is unlikely to run precisely (consistently).

Your .041" headspace measurement merely suggests (to me, anyway) that Eley or Aguila (which have about .038" case rim thickness) are unlikely to run consistently/precisely in your Bergara. However, .041" should (likely) suit Federal/CCI, Lapua/SK, RWS Rifle Match and Wolf Match/Target just dandy.

The puzzling (unexplained, to me) observation is Lapua Center-X not running well ??? My Center-X rim-thickness measurements were around .043"; maybe Center-X rims are a tad too thick (???) to seat nicely (and consistently) between the Bergara bolt and breach?

At any rate, I hope we are ALL learning from these measurements and test results. Exploring, discovering and learning are what make me Happy !

cheers,