• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B-14R Range Report and Assessment

Anyone know what the tread tennon size and specs are for a rebarrel job in the B14 22 ? It appears all Bergara can say is its metric and made in Spain !

Reactions: GS1000SN
Lol. Even if the "various types of ammo" are r50, Midas and Tennex, that's still a reach. Unless "all day long" means 20% of the time.

I found a good deal on Ebay. I bought four 10 round BXR mags for my B-14R for $114.04. Bergara website has them in stock now but they are $37.99 each and they kill you on shipping unless you buy 3 or more. On the Bergara site, you buy 3 you get free shipping but it will still cost you $113.97 and that's for 3. I also had to pay some sales tax because the seller is in SC.

They have 6 left.

1582327122347.png

Skip all the bullshit, I just looked at the Bergara sight and they got the wrong mag in the photo. I didn't think it looked right. I'd like to slap the dog shit right out of someone right now.

Reactions: DFC and nakoa01
Fought the winds today to get some dopes verified for tomorrow's NRL22 match. Groups really opened up (2-3x) shooting at ~30°F compared to my initial testing indoors at ~70°F, but that was expected. Still fun!

20200221_155155~2.jpg

Hey, 1911Shootist, I been looking at that velcro strapped sandbag on the bottom of the forearm. Are they pretty useful? Also how many mags are needed in the NRL match? How do you carry your extra mags?

The skid pad has its place, but I find myself relying on it much less than I thought I would. It’s really handy for shooting from the seat of the folding chair, under the back where you can’t use a normal bag.

you only need 1 mag, but a backup is highly recommended, in case of a feeding issue or light strike. I’ll either set them on the stage/mat if allowed, or keep a spare in a pocket. Only the Annie biathlon guys run spares on their forend it seems. I only have the one mag so far... wish me luck!

I guess I'll have to buy one from Bergara. $37.99 + $9.99 shipping. Either than or buy three for $113.97.

I guess I'll have to buy one from Bergara. $37.99 + $9.99 shipping. Either than or buy three for $113.97.
I bought 4 mags ($114) from these guys about a month ago but I just checked, they’re out of stock again. But so they were the last time I searched for them, just subscribed to receive a notification when back in stock and got the mags about 2 weeks after. http://store.22three.com/

• Wow
Reactions: Baracuda22
Thanks for the information. I knew there had to be someone else offering those for sale at a cheaper price. Just got on the notification list.

No issues during today's match, but I still ordered one from Bergara so I'd definitely have it for next months matches. $48 ?... Oh well, at least I only need one spare.

Now I need to cook up a chamber flag mag block. Good reason to re-learn the CAD stuff and use my brother's 3D printer.

DIY cheek piece extensions:

Factory legs are threaded M6x1.0, 10mm OD. McMaster sells aluminum 10mm spacers with a 5mm bore, which is the correct size hole for a M6x1.0 tap. Order spacers to length for ~$2.50 ea, thread them, and install metric screw of choice. Easy extension or stop for repeatable height.
20200221_190327.jpg

I found a good deal on Ebay. I bought four 10 round BXR mags for my B-14R for $114.04. Bergara website has them in stock now but they are $37.99 each and they kill you on shipping unless you buy 3 or more. On the Bergara site, you buy 3 you get free shipping but it will still cost you $113.97 and that's for 3. I also had to pay some sales tax because the seller is in SC.

They have 6 left.

View attachment 7255783
The correct mag part number for the B 14R is BA0016. The above mag is the wrong part number, and mag.

Well, compared post #163 above, I think I’ll end up going with Wolf Match Target Extra.
F7F33D49-D147-445F-B7E2-4DED9811A6F9.jpeg

Below are 2 separate 5 shot goups. POA was bottom/right tip and top/left tip for each respective group.

A02907CE-FFD9-420E-AFD0-E06571541604.jpeg

Afterward, I headed to the 227 yard 7"x12" steel IPSC target. Dialed up 8.4mil and held 1mil wind (4-5mph full value wind). Literally, every time I pressed the trigger, I heard "ting...Ting...Ting..."

Last edited:
Great shooting! Would you happen to know were your wolf ammo was manufactured?
Don’t know if this is true but I’m reading in was made by SK in Germany and is made by Eley in GB now?

The 5K carton I got read Eley on it. It's out in the shop. I'll snap a pic tomorrow/

I was told by my rep that Lapua, SK, Wolf and Eley are all made in Germany, on the same exact machines, in the same exact plant. Just different runs. He said that, the 1st run of, say Wolf (rimfire) results in "Match Target." The 2nd run results in "Match Target Extra." Same goes for 1st of Lapua is Center X and 2nd is Midas +.

From your shooting so far ? Is the VuDoo any better grouping than the Bergara
I have no idea. I don't have the Vudoo and never even handled one. As for the B-14R, to me, the quality, fit, finish, accuracy, reliability at any price point is fantastic IMO. I do believe if the B-14R was offered for sale at say $2500 people would be more apt to say better things about rather than something like, "well if you can't afford a ????? then you can always get a B-14R" or "get the B-14R and as you get better you can grow into ?????". People automatically rate something as subpar just based on price alone. I am not saying the B-14R is the best, just that people assume something is better if it cost more. Regardless of any of that, it really is a joy to shoot and is not picky on ammo. Mine shoots a lot of different ammo accurately. I don't ever see myself getting rid of the B-14R.

Just now getting to post this. On Saturday 2-22-20 I shot 800 rounds through the B-14R verifying accuracy with and without the Sparrow. Even though I had nice targets with the Lapua Pistol King and surprisingly SK Standard Plus for the most part the B-14R doesn't like the Sparrow. The first two plates were shot with the Sparrow for all 50 shots.

Everything shot this day was with the action screws on 20 inlbs.

Also the Bix trigger has developed a small, very slight "catch" or some may refer to it as creep. Doesn't do it all the time but did cause a few issues. Still breaks consistently at 2 oz. I'll call Bullet Central in the morning about it. I am also considering drilling and tapping the back of my trigger guard to insert a set screw to eliminate the minor bit of overtravel the Bix does have, that according to Bix'n Andy, is supposed to have.

B-14R Lapua Pistol King 20inlb 2-22-20 Sparrow all.jpg
B-14R SK STD+ 20inlb 2-22-20 Sparrow all.jpg

The targets below were shot with the first five, 5-shot groups using the Sparrow. Last five, 5-shot groups without the Sparrow. You can see the difference, overall I believe it shoots best without the Sparrow. I am still mixed between 20 and 40 inlbs on the action screws.

B-14R RWS R-50sc 20inlb 2-22-20 Sparrow half.jpg
B-14R Eley Match 20inlb 2-22-20 Sparrow half.jpg
B-14R Fiocchi Official 300 20inlb 2-22-20 Sparrow half.jpg
B-14R Lapua Center-X 20inlb 2-22-20 Sparrow half.jpg
B-14R RWS Super Pistol 250 20inlb 2-22-20 Sparrow half.jpg
B-14R CCI SV 20inlb 2-22-20 Sparrow half.jpg
B-14R Eley Team 20inlb 2-22-20 Sparrow half.jpg
B-14R Geco Match 22 20inlb 2-22-20 Sparrow half.jpg

All this really does is make me want to get another rimfire suppressor now.

The 5K carton I got read Eley on it. It's out in the shop. I'll snap a pic tomorrow/

I was told by my rep that Lapua, SK, Wolf and Eley are all made in Germany, on the same exact machines, in the same exact plant. Just different runs. He said that, the 1st run of, say Wolf (rimfire) results in "Match Target." The 2nd run results in "Match Target Extra." Same goes for 1st of Lapua is Center X and 2nd is Midas +.
I haven't purchased a box of wolf for some time. Wolf, and SK, were both produced by lapua when I last checked. Obviously it's possible for things to change when manufacturers are simply re-branding someone else's product. However I find it difficult to believe that lapua and eley are made on the same machine in the same factory. They are wildly dissimilar in every aspect of their construction.

Lapua, and all its rebrands exhibit slick and oily lube and have a crosshair headstamp. Eley and most of its rebrands are very much more waxy and have an E headstamp. Not as waxy as RWS, but waxy indeed. The bullet shapes are also significantly different. They smell different when fired, which means they have different powder and in all likelihood, different priming compound.

If wolf/sk have switched to eley, well obviously those will come from the same place... but lapua? I can't see how that is true. Lapua has a documented history of making their own ammo. I've never seen a lapua 22lr product that didn't have the signature bullet shapes, oily lube, and crosshair headstamp. If eley is now producing lapua's ammo, I'll need some significant proof of this. Since nammo group is buying up everything in the world, I guess it's not hard to speculate that perhaps they have purchased eley. ... but if they did, you'd think that information would have got out, and since lapua is a competitor of eley, which they already own... it's difficult to imagine this happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkerized
I haven't purchased a box of wolf for some time. Wolf, and SK, were both produced by lapua when I last checked. Obviously it's possible for things to change when manufacturers are simply re-branding someone else's product. However I find it difficult to believe that lapua and eley are made on the same machine in the same factory. They are wildly dissimilar in every aspect of their construction.

Lapua, and all its rebrands exhibit slick and oily lube and have a crosshair headstamp. Eley and most of its rebrands are very much more waxy and have an E headstamp. Not as waxy as RWS, but waxy indeed. The bullet shapes are also significantly different. They smell different when fired, which means they have different powder and in all likelihood, different priming compound.

If wolf/sk have switched to eley, well obviously those will come from the same place... but lapua? I can't see how that is true. Lapua has a documented history of making their own ammo. I've never seen a lapua 22lr product that didn't have the signature bullet shapes, oily lube, and crosshair headstamp. If eley is now producing lapua's ammo, I'll need some significant proof of this. Since nammo group is buying up everything in the world, I guess it's not hard to speculate that perhaps they have purchased eley. ... but if they did, you'd think that information would have got out, and since lapua is a competitor of eley, which they already own... it's difficult to imagine this happening.

Wolf used to be made on the same equipment as SK, Wolf is now made by Eley. That is the only change.

Reactions: BP Green
Wolf used to be made on the same equipment as SK, Wolf is now made by Eley. That is the only change.

Right, and since SK was reboxed lapua, that makes sense if SK/wolf jumped ship from lapua over to eley. (which was a mistake in my opinion)

...however, the poster A&8's stated sk/wolf/lapua/eley all from the same machine. To which I basically have said "no way." Lapua and eley are two separate factories.

Right, and since SK was reboxed lapua, that makes sense if SK/wolf jumped ship from lapua over to eley. (which was a mistake in my opinion)

...however, the poster A&8's stated sk/wolf/lapua/eley all from the same machine. To which I basically have said "no way." Lapua and eley are two separate factories.

Well, like I said, I'm going by my rep's voice. I, obviously, haven't been to the plant in Germany. I will snap a pic of the carton when I get to the shop tonight. I'm 100% sure there was an Eley stick on the carton of Wolf ME I just purchased.

Well, like I said, I'm going by my rep's voice. I, obviously, haven't been to the plant in Germany. I will snap a pic of the carton when I get to the shop tonight. I'm 100% sure there was an Eley stick on the carton of Wolf ME I just purchased.
Sounds like "your rep" should check his sources. SK/wolf have always been rebranded lapua. If they switched to rebranding eley instead, well then obviously eley is doing the manufacturing and will share all of the features. Eley and lapua are NOT in the same facility unless something massive has changed.

The real question is if eley is now making all sk/wolf... then what tier of ammo are they pulling from? Eley club? Eley target? When it was lapua doing SK/wolf... match extra was lapua center x that didn't make the cut, and wolf match target was wolf match extra that didn't make the cut. So what tier are they pulling from for the sk/wolf branded eley ammo?

Reactions: Schütze
Sounds like "your rep" should check his sources. SK/wolf have always been rebranded lapua. If they switched to rebranding eley instead, well then obviously eley is doing the manufacturing and will share all of the features. Eley and lapua are NOT in the same facility unless something massive has changed.

The real question is if eley is now making all sk/wolf... then what tier of ammo are they pulling from? Eley club? Eley target? When it was lapua doing SK/wolf... match extra was lapua center x that didn't make the cut, and wolf match target was wolf match extra that didn't make the cut. So what tier are they pulling from for the sk/wolf branded eley ammo?

I guess I'm unsure what your Quotation marks were implying. I can only say what I was told. I see you're a commercial supporter. Use your juice and make the call. Then we'll all know.

I guess I'm unsure what your Quotation marks were implying. I can only say what I was told. I see you're a commercial supporter. Use your juice and make the call. Then we'll all know.
The quotation marks were implying disdain toward a sales rep happily providing misinformation. What's his name? Where does he work? I'll call him myself and ask his source.

As for my "juice;" I'll save it for something that warrants it. If eley and lapua began cohabitation in the same building and using the same machines... I would think that would be news, and we'd all have heard about it by now. Two of the largest competitors in the target 22lr space deciding to buddy up is not something that could fly below the radar for long I wouldn't think.

I have been using Eley made Wolf ammo for over a year now. That is old news to be honest about it.

Just to make sure I was telling the truth, I just checked my boxes and SK and Lapua is made in Germany and Eley and Wolf are made in England. I don't see how it would be physically possible for them to be made on the same machines unless the boxes are inaccurate. I'd agree with orkan on his thoughts about the rep spreading false information, maybe he just didn't know. But regardless, the only things Eley and Lapua have in common are they use brass cases and shoot a lead projectile. Oh, and bullets weigh 40 grains for all practical purposes.

Have you tried going above the suggested 55"lbs? I found mine likes 60"lbs the best. I started out with 15"lbs, then shot 3 shot groups increasing by 5"lbs. At 65"lbs my groups opened drastically.
Yes, I tried the factory setting "whatever that would have been" and I have tried 20 to 50 in 10 in/lb increments. 20 and 40 performed the best.

After comparing 4,250 shots "recorded on paper" out of the B-14R with various ammo, suppressed, unsuppressed, and various torque settings on the receiver screws, it appears that 40 in/lb on the receiver screws, shot unsuppressed is the most accurate setup.

Yes, I tried the factory setting "whatever that would have been" and I have tried 20 to 50 in 10 in/lb increments. 20 and 40 performed the best.

After comparing 4,250 shots "recorded on paper" out of the B-14R with various ammo, suppressed, unsuppressed, and various torque settings on the receiver screws, it appears that 40 in/lb on the receiver screws, shot unsuppressed is the most accurate setup.
That's a shitton of rounds in the past few months...

I'm no authority on the Wolf mfg questions at-hand.
The link below does at least suggest there was a change in the bottom narrative (and also in photo):

I was looking to try out some wolf recently, so I've been reading with interest.

I'm no authority on the Wolf mfg questions at-hand.
The link below does at least suggest there was a change in the bottom narrative (and also in photo):

I was looking to try out some wolf recently, so I've been reading with interest.

And there we have it. The mystery answered.

Well, I'd have to say yes since I couldn't get the Elf trigger to work. This is only for my Bergara as the Elf may work in other R700 platform rifles.
was it that it wouldn't work or would not fit into your gun- I looked back in your post and I was under the impression you had another one ( ELF) coming to fit into the bergara better?

was it that it wouldn't work or would not fit into your gun- I looked back in your post and I was under the impression you had another one ( ELF) coming to fit into the bergara better?
The first one wouldn't fit in the trigger guard so I wasn't able to shoot with it. Since I couldn't get it in I just took it out without messing with the pull or anything else.

Now I have the second trigger here and it fits the trigger guard but now when I work the bolt back and forth the bolt shroud hits the safety lever. The main problem is the bolt won't cock. I was on the phone with Art and he talked me through a few things but nothing worked. Now I'm waiting on a 3rd Elf trigger.

Reactions: wvlapua
I wouldn't consider that so much a mystery. The mystery is the claim that lapua and eley come from the same place and the same machines.

I'd also love to know the tier of eley that sk/wolf represents.

I could be wrong, but I think SK is still a Lapua product, while Wolf moved switched to being produced by Eley. All of the SK I've seen recently has been a Lapua product.

Reactions: BP Green
I could be wrong, but I think SK is still a Lapua product, while Wolf moved switched to being produced by Eley. All of the SK I've seen recently has been a Lapua product.
Well that's pretty unsurprising, considering that sk was purchased by lapua.

While wolf, is an american company that has most of it's ammo manufactured in russia. They contracted with SK to make their rimfire ammo... but now apparently have contracted with eley instead. Wolf was once the exact same ammo as SK, just as now wolf will be interchangeable with eley.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I'm attaching a pic of 2 consecutive 5 shot groups I shot with my B 14R Sunday. Wind was shifting left right with light changes due to clouds and an occasional head wind.

I was shooting at 100 yds under 24X, bipod and rear bag off a wooden bench. Basically just getting a "know" 100 yd zero. Conditions settled down a bit after the sun moved over the mountain, and this is when these 2 groups came to pass. I really wish I could have shot all 5 shots in the same conditions, missed one in each group, but it is what it is.

If I overlay the two targets, 8 out of 10 shots (consecutive shots) went into .238". The one left in the first group (shot 1) and the one right in the second group (shot 5) would have made the overall look really bad, so I'm glad I shot 2 separate groups.

Still a shame I didn't see the shift for those groups.

This rifle is a shooter!

I'm shooting the action screws at 40 in/lbs (as came from the factory), haven't tried any other torque settings.

When conditions allow I'm looking forward to shooting some higher quality ammo.

KOD, I decided to post these anyway
IMG_20200224_092101.jpg

I'm attaching a pic of 2 consecutive 5 shot groups I shot with my B 14R Sunday. Wind was shifting left right with light changes due to clouds and an occasional head wind.

I was shooting at 100 yds under 24X, bipod and rear bag off a wooden bench. Basically just getting a "know" 100 yd zero. Conditions settled down a bit after the sun moved over the mountain, and this is when these 2 groups came to pass. I really wish I could have shot all 5 shots in the same conditions, missed one in each group, but it is what it is.

If I overlay the two targets, 8 out of 10 shots (consecutive shots) went into .238". The one left in the first group (shot 1) and the one right in the second group (shot 5) would have made the overall look really bad, so I'm glad I shot 2 separate groups.

Still a shame I didn't see the shift for those groups.

This rifle is a shooter!

I'm shooting the action screws at 40 in/lbs (as came from the factory), haven't tried any other torque settings.

When conditions allow I'm looking forward to shooting some higher quality ammo.

KOD, I decided to post these anywayView attachment 7258167

That's a nice lot of CCI SV to shoot with that little fluctuation in FPS

I have 3 different lots of CCI SV, all cases. The lot used to shoot the above groups chronos 1097fps with ES 23fps. The two other lots chrono 1122fps ES 18, and 1093fps ES 22fps. Lots are from April, May and September 2019.

Correction 2-26-2020: Last lot is from October 2019, not September, sorry for misinformation.

Last edited:
I have 3 different lots of CCI SV, all cases. The lot used to shoot the above groups chronos 1097fps with ES 23fps. The two other lots chrono 1122fps ES 18, and 1093fps ES 22fps. Lots are from April, May and September 2019.

That's great... the batch I bought had a ES of 95, and fluctuated from 955fps to 1050fps. It was HORRRRRIBLE.

That's some great shooting vaguru.

Got off the phone with Bullet Central regarding the Bix trigger. Luke asked me about my bolt and if I used a lot of oil on it, I said yes and he said he is 99% sure oil has migrated down into the trigger. He said that is the case almost every time when a fluctuation in pull has developed. The trigger has some side play and he said that is the way that trigger was made but that a new trigger shoe would fix it. Well, I wanted the flat or they call it a 90° shoe anyway so I bought one of those. When it comes in I'll clean the trigger then.

Personally, I'm sold on Bix'n Andy triggers.