• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 127 Gr 257 Hybrid - 0.300 G7 & 0.59 G1 BC

RealRomulus

Minuteman
Oct 8, 2011
BFE, OK
538744.jpg

Sadly, This is not a 0.257 127 gr Hybrid, :p but I sure wish it were

The last 6 years have been great to shooters in terms of ballistic performance and choices, but as tinkerers and wildcatters there's always something else to play with.

First of all, I'd love to put an hour or so into doing to math for optimal bullet weight (123-130 gr), twist needed (8.5-9.5), & all that stuff but I've been running 24/7 lately. If anyone has some good numbers please share them.

I've been trying to spread the gospel that 257x47 Lap, 257 Creedmoor, 257 Rem, & a host of other options would be a great addition to competitive and practical cartridges if only we had a competitive bullet to shoot! :(

The cartridges would fit a niche that offers low recoil with superb long range performance. A lot of the 6mm don't show hits on steel very well past 850 yds not to mention 1300-1500 that some competitions stretch out to, and the 0.284 competition cartridges can offer more recoil than some prefer. 0.264 cartridges have done well these last few years after many years in the shadows and it is nice to see them enjoying their due.

Now, take those potent cartridges and stuff a 1/4 bore bullet inside them and you could operate near or at the same levels of performance, gain a bit of speed, reduce recoil, and even cut a few inches off your barrel to increase the handiness of your high performance long range rig. This is not mentioning how wild a 257 WBY would be if a top flight projectile existed. 8)

The response I've heard from bullet manufacturers is that there is not a market for such a bullet. I kind of feel like Jerry Maguire when I talk with people about these things. HELP ME... HELP YOU?! ;D HELP ME!!! HELP YOUUU!!!

Walt Berger, Litz, & Co Help me, help you.
Mr. Nosler & Fam, Help ME, Help YOU!
To the roundtable of Sierra Bulletsmith Wizards, HELP ME - HELP YOU!!!

JerryMaguireHelpMeHelpYou.jpg

I know I'd buy a barrel and chamber this puppy up. I know a bunch of guys who would do it too. Sure the 6.5x47 is going to have a good run for a few years but we all want an excuse for a new rig right?

540_293_resize_20130701_623e979db8ce11f22a0386c4b99976a2_jpg.jpg

So call up the bullet making dudes & let them know you're signed!

jerry-maguire-kid.jpg

I know... I know... you don't have to say anything.

I was discussing with my buddy that a heavy, hybrid type 257 and 270 are money just waiting to be taken.

The idea of a .25 cal Hybrid is a very attractive one to me. I built myself a 250 AI several years ago, and even the best bullet (BC-wise) I could find has a much lower BC than the best 6mm & 6.5mm bullets available from several makers. It's still a neat little rifle, built on a M700 SA, with a 26" Krieger #5 sptr. But it could be so much more interesting & capable with better LR bullet availability.

GS Custom has no SP (target solid) 257's in their line to exceed common performers.

GS does have an HV (hollow point) that looks pretty slick but not exactly what I'm looking for. See GS CUSTOM USA - Technical Profile 257100HV

JLK / SWAMPWORKS has a 108 gr bullet with 0.5 G1 supposedly - See part #25108 JLK Home

Sierra's heaviest is the 120 GameKing - https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/1650/257-dia-120-gr-HPBT

Maybe Sierra would want to help out the 57x47 if Berger is too busy.

I have often times wondered why the bullet manufacturers leave money on the
table, by not exploring 25 and 27 cal venues. Lots of potential here.

I love my 25-06 the best bullet I have found is the 115 berger but I feel the BC is low. would love to see a heavy bullet/ some new wildcats. Are any of the barrel makers doing a quarterbore with a twist faster then 10"?

Rock Creek would have done one if you could get orders in like BITD. Haven't checked with them in a while.

I just got a 257 Weatherby magnum built on a Kelbly action, its a long range target/benchrest rifle....the problem is the best .25 caliber bullets are less than .500BC. I was super excited and was reaching for my wallet as I clicked on this thread.....

I shoot a 25-223 and a 25-06 also, I'm a 25 caliber fan boy for sure.

I'd absolutely switch from 6mm SLR to 250 SLR if there were a ~125-130gr ~.600 BC bullet I could get going 3000+ fps

I also agree 100%. The mix between the 6mm and 6.5mm seems like it offers tremendous potential. Something I have thought about as well, we just need high BC bullets! A berger 130gr Hybrid could darn well be perfect.

.250x47 with lapua brass. 250 Creedmoor. 250 Remington. Likely 3000+ fps with more barrel life than a 243. Longer supersonic range. What's not to like!

I'm in. Being a 257 weatherby fan, right now the only thing that would make it any better would be a high bc bullet. I also think their would be a lot of new guns being built......