• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best 10x fixed magnification scopes? Opinions?

earthtrekker1775

The Prodigal Gun
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
PNW
I am strongly considering a fixed magnification scope for a custom bolt gun build. I know USO and Leupold make one but I would like to get your opinions. I am not familiar with the other makers out there. This scope must be simple and dead-tough. Will be a .308 rifle with capability for 1Km shots but most will be under 800m.

a. Must have excellent glass

b. 1/10 Mil/Mil adjustment

c. Mil dot reticle

d. 30 mm tube

e. objective = or > 34mm (preferably larger)

f. waterproof/fogproof, etc.

Thanks for your help, I tried the search function but did not find much.

Re: Best 10x fixed magnification scopes? Opinions?

If you can wait a bit, SWFA is coming out with an SS10x42 HD that should be quite nice. Same mechanicals as the current SS but with much better glass.

The USO would be very nice, as would the S&B, but my guess is that the SS HD will be quite good and significantly less expensive.

S&B PMII 10X. I have 2 and love them.

Hope this helps,
Trilogymac

ST10.

DSC_0270.jpg

Have a SS10x-it is fine if you are under 30 years old.If you want to see-try a USO ST10-lot of scope for the money.Plus you can forgo lit ret-but request lit ready housing and save some $.barry

Great info, thanks for the quick responses. Any idea if NF is planning on a fixed scope?

scan0012.jpg

I like Schmidt & Benders 10X PMII. 30MM tube, 42MM obj. mil/mil.
Very good glass, very strong. This one sits on top of a Sako .257 Weatherby.

That is a beautiful antelope! Scope's not bad either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea if NF is planning on a fixed scope?</div></div>

They don't need to as their variables are tough enough. Have you not seen the Nightforce scope with the bullet hole in the side? High end variables, like the Nightforce, can not be compared to variables of old.

I had given the S&B 10x serious thought before ordering my ST-10. I might still be game to having a 10x42 PMII for my next project.

The 10X42 PMII comes with the parallax set at 300 meters. Its a good all around distance...the only problem is in real close...PBR to 30 meters.

IOR has 3 Tactical Fixed 10x. all with 30mm Tubes

10x42MM SF
10x56MM fixed focus
10x56MM IR fixed focus

All just under a grand.

Bob

I myself use a few 10x scopes the Leupold MK4 M1, Leupold MK4 M3, and a USO CSGW-ST10 10x and this is my favorite. The USO ST10 is a fix OBJ and I have not and any issues with it being fixed yet. The M3 I set the parallax were I liked it and just left it.

I really recommend getting a Mil Reticle with MIL adjustments. MOA on MOA works also I just prefer MIL on MIL.
Here the USO ST10 10x on my GAP M40A1.
P1040832-1-1.jpg

Here the Leupold MK4 M1 on my 24” 223 AR. I really like the scope I just wish it was in MILS.
P1040629.jpg

Mike

while I have no experience with the ST-10, I love my SN-3 and if going for a fixed 10X with those mechanical criteria, I'd definitely get one.

I'd much rather spend the extra couple of hundred dollars and get an ST-10 and have verified US based backup via manufacturer than deal with IOR again. While they were great from a customer service point of view...it was just stressful until they made it right.

I am not opposed to variables e.g. Nightforce (I love their 3.5-15x50 F1 but it is out of my price range for now). I would like to keep my scope cost close to the $1500 mark and I haven't decided if I want the flexibility of a variable or the simplicity of a fixed. I am counting my blessings that my wife doesn't mind me buying hundreds of dollars of ammo and getting a $$$ custom build. If I drop two grand on a scope she may realize I have no sense of moderation and put the brakes on my hobby.
I love the USO and it is a definite contender, for the price of the S&B I could get a very nice NF variable, Leupold makes a good fixed but for what they are asking for it I think I could spend just a little more and get a lot more quality, in my opinion. Also, I don't think Leupold offers Mil/Mil with a mildot ret. and those are key features I am looking for.
Thanks for all the input, keep your eyes peeled in September I will be putting up some pics when the build is done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also, I don't think Leupold offers Mil/Mil with a mildot ret. and those are key features I am looking for.
Thanks for all the input, keep your eyes peeled in September I will be putting up some pics when the build is done. </div></div>

Leupold has a 4-15, and a 8-25, with Mil/Mil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrp3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also, I don't think Leupold offers Mil/Mil with a mildot ret. and those are key features I am looking for.
Thanks for all the input, keep your eyes peeled in September I will be putting up some pics when the build is done. </div></div>

Leupold has a 4-15, and a 8-25, with Mil/Mil. </div></div>
Ubfortunately Leupold doesn't offer it in the fixed powers, which I think this thread is about!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrp3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also, I don't think Leupold offers Mil/Mil with a mildot ret. and those are key features I am looking for.

Leupold has a 4-15, and a 8-25, with Mil/Mil.</div></div>

The fixed model is what I was referring to. Nothing against Leupold, had a 4.5-14x40 mil dot moa/moa for years. My dad is still using it. But for my new rifle I want to get the best I can afford, fixed or variable and want to try something different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csGunWorks.com</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I myself use a few 10x scopes the Leupold MK4 M1, Leupold MK4 M3, and a USO CSGW-ST10 10x and this is my favorite. The USO ST10 is a fix OBJ and I have not and any issues with it being fixed yet. The M3 I set the parallax were I liked it and just left it. </div></div>

I originally ordered my ST-10 with the fixed parallex but then called and changed to the ERGO. I just wasn't sure if I'd be happy trying to shoot as close as 50yds (or less) then out to the 500yds plus. I figured for the cost it would be worth it down the road. Otherwise mine is coming with 1/4 moa US#1 M40 windage, EREK 1/4moa, moa scale type 1 reticle, 2" shade and some flip caps. I am thinking it should be a nice piece of glass.

It was either the ST-10 or the S&B 10x42 PII like is shown further back up the thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrp3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also, I don't think Leupold offers Mil/Mil with a mildot ret. and those are key features I am looking for.

Leupold has a 4-15, and a 8-25, with Mil/Mil. </div></div>
Ubfortunately Leupold doesn't offer it in the fixed powers, which I think this thread is about!
grin.gif
</div></div>

I am so smart. S M R T. Apparently my brain sucks viciously pre-coffee.

Nightforce 3.5-15x50 SFP is about $1450. You don't have to get the F1. I personally will never go back to a fixed power scope after using variables for years now. I like to be able to have options when it comes to my power setting.

Don't care which you get but think long and hard before going fixed power.

Love my USO ST-10. I wish they made a 6X fixed with 42mm obj.

Seriously, where else but USO can you have your scope built to your specs? Why settle for something close when you can get exactly what you want?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can wait a bit, SWFA is coming out with an SS10x42 HD that should be quite nice. Same mechanicals as the current SS but with much better glass. </div></div>

Where did you get that info??

An SS with better glass would be hard to beat