• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best .22 pistol to run a suppressor on?

ColbyLang

Sergeant, Smart Ass, and general know it all
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2012
Louisiana
Got my NFA trust set up. Ordered my can for a bolt gun. Want one for a .22 for shits and giggles. I've heard mixed reviews on which pistol is best. Choices are Browning Buckmark, Walther, and sig mosquito. The Ruger Mark III would work but the metal framed ones don't come with a threaded barrel. What say you brain trust of the Hide? Thanks

..." What say you brain trust of the Hide "?

Urban Dictionary: Brain Trust
---------------------------
I am opposite of the brain Trust and as a sole singular adviser who gives out personal life experience as I have or or am currently living it . All for the pleasure of those who led a quarantined and non-participatory life from outside there box and there hermetic internet interaction with life's shooting pleasures by asking there hypothetical on Internet shooting websites .

My advise and my personal experience is Browning Buckmark, slab-side preferable a cherry 1980's model .
It is accurate with nice factory trigger, with extremely easy barrel removal for shortening, reassemble, and for lathe threading and crown modifications etc. . Plus they just look esthetically visual appealing as Suppressed rimfire host pistol .
.......thanks you

I've owned/own several cans and hosts. My Walther was ammo sensitive and didn't run well for me without very frequent cleanings. I eventually sold it and picked up a Ruger 22/45. Works with most 22 ammo and not a finicky about running dirty. I'm now looking at a Buckmark so I can have the metal frame. I'm with you in that I don't like the polymer feel of the Ruger.

I went with S&W M&P22. If you have full size combat pistols, its nice to train with one in a .22lr. Its barrel is already threaded. Runs great and is super quiet with my Tact Solutions Cascade. Only thing I don't like is the rear sight is all black with no dots.

looking into the S&W M&P .22. I run a M&P 9mm so I'm familiar with the platform and size of the weapon. Buddy who is a gun dealer has a Buckmark 5.5 in stock and is holding it for me. Just gotta make up my damn mind before ordering a sparrow for it! Thanks guys

Not very practical, but I had Tornado Technologies thread the barrel on my Beretta 87 BB - great suppressor host. Same gun used by the Mossad several years ago for some of their up close dirty work. Very happy with the gun and my sparrow suppressor.

I run a SRT Comanche and a Sparrow on multiple platforms. A Ruger 22/45 with a 4" Tacsol barrel, a Browning Buckmark with a Tacsol barrel and a Ruger SR22 pistol. All 3 run 100% with either suppressor. The Buckmark runs cleaner but is a little louder due to the chamber area being wide open with the slide back. The 22/45 is the quietest but also gets dirtier much quicker and is harder to clean due to the receiver bolt design. The SR22 is most fun to shoot but is the least accurate of the three due to the crappy trigger and short sight radius. Noise level is about the same as the Buckmark. If I had to pick only one it would be the Buckmark.

Not very practical, but I had Tornado Technologies thread the barrel on my Beretta 87 BB - great suppressor host. Same gun used by the Mossad several years ago for some of their up close dirty work. Very happy with the gun and my sparrow suppressor.
+100!
I have the exact setup, and it's sick! I also use a Buckmark with a Tac Sol barrel.

Walther/Umarex PPK. Then you can put on a suit and look like Archer................or James Bond, if you're into that.

I have tried a bunch of them as well.

The Browning Buckmark w/ the Tactical Solutions barrel is by far the most popular when I take a couple to the range for friends. It has fantastic ergonomics and you can still use the tall sights on the barrel above many cans. The only complaint about that setup is the stupid barrel attachment system with a tension nut and the bridge arrangement from barrel to rear sight. That tends to loosen over time despite liberal application of loctite.

One of the Ruger 22/45 Lite models is pretty popular as well; but it tends to jam more often with nearly all types of ammo. It is a real pleasure to shoot, and very accurate as well. The two main complaints here are that everyone pinches their hand when they seat in a new magazine, and you can't replace barrels on the rugers since that is the registered part of the firearm. Because of the jams, I don't trust it enough to use in a rimfire steel match.

A buddy has the Sig Mosquito with a threaded barrel, and that is quite nice and very reliable.

I have several 22 options to go with my Sparrow. Sig P220 Combat & Sig P229 non rail(with Sig .22 conversions) or Glock 23 with an Advantage Arm .22 kit. All have run will with good ammo.

I use a ruger 22/45 lite and it has been very reliable, accurate and no doubt in my mind durable.
3ahu3e3u.jpg
I also use a contender for fun.
sevy2ypu.jpg

Buckmark is an excellent platform.

Ditch the magazine safety and flip the sear spring around for a sweet trigger pull......

Last edited:
I ran a P22 suppressed for quite a while, and then the slide cracked. A friend had the same problem. Both were fixed without a problem, but I still have some functionality issues with the P22, including the hammer following the slide from time to time. That, and I've had two front sights fall out.

I've been using my Ruger 22/45 Lite lately and it works well. The extra blowback means you have to clean the magazines more frequently. I've had some problems with the 8th round feeding, but periodic cleaning solves that.

I have a p22 and have had problems with it from the beginning. It went back to walther when it was brand new because it was light striking. It still is not nearly as refined or nice as my 22/45 mark II.

If you are get a ruger and want to keep the factory upper, then I recommend a Mark II as opposed to the newer Mark III. They are a little harder to find, but they are not overly safe. I currently run a Pac-Lite on my Mark II 22/45. I didn't want to have the factory barrel threaded, so I went the pac-lite route and absolutely love it. It is very light and runs without a hitch.

I went with a Ruger MK III TALO edition. Its got nice tall iron sights but can be on the heavy side for some. Its 100% reliable though.

Browning buckmark with tactical solutions barrel is what I run with zero malfunctions.

I have had very good experiences with Rugers. Top gun here is a MkIII SRT integral suppressor and the bottom is MkIII with Tactical Solutions Pac-lite upper and SRT Cheyenne XXL. The are both very, very quiet, and operate reliably with mag safety and trigger bushing mods. I prefer the MkIII metal frame over the 22/45 but the Tac Sol upper makes both quite nice.

I'll second the Colt (Umarex) rail gun as a cheap option. Same from the factory threaded barrel setup as a walther p22 but a larger platform that makes for easier shooting. All that is needed is a thread adapter to work with most cans.

100% agreed that's what I'm running as well, with an aac element2.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

I'm running the same combo and it works pretty good. I was getting malfunctions maybe every other magazine when I first bought it but after putting a few hundred rounds through it and cleaning/ lubing it really good it has run flawless. It could have also been the cheap Remington Golden Bullets I was using too.

I also use a contender for fun.
sevy2ypu.jpg

+1 On the T/C

I like my Ruger but it gets absolutely filthy.

The Buckmark gets more use as the open nature of the bolt stays much cleaner.
A shell deflector keeps some of the mess off your optic.
The barrel can be sent off for threading without hassle as it's not the actual receiver like the Ruger.

And then there's the Beretta...
Just for fun.

My favorite 22 pistol suppressed is a Ruger 22/45 with a Burris fastfire II equipped on top... great pistol as it is an absolute blast to shoot and it is very accurate. I ring steel out to 50 with ease and it's music to my ears. I also have a Walther P22 and it is okay when suppressed, but it tends to sit in the safe a lot.

UPDATE: Picking up a BuckMark this morning and ordering a Sparrow to put on it. BuckMark is factory threaded, so no need for a Tac-Sol upgrade just yet.....thanks for all of the info and replies guys.

I've run probably around 10k rounds through mine and don't have too much trouble. It's actually been very relable for me

UPDATE:
..." Picking up a BuckMark this morning and ordering a Sparrow to put on it. BuckMark is factory threaded, so no need for a Tac-Sol upgrade just yet.....thanks for all of the info and replies guys . "
--

Awesome .. was wondering if you would listen .
Buckmark like others said above is one of best running platforms out there for .22 suppressor host . Plus its quieter new out of the box that the new Rugers . keeps Way Cleaner shooting . Better trigger out of box & easy trigger Mods. . Easy to break-down & clean . Easy barrel removal for custom work . holds better resale . etc.

will a Ruger get the job done ( yes ) .. BUT ..
All I got to do is grab my brothers Ruger & squeeze off a few . & then pick-up my cherry early 80's Buckmark, & buddy it's like a Cadillac to a Yugo .

Last edited:
Well fudge now im going to have to get a buckmark and independently verify this.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

I enjoy my sig mosquito other than the trigger, Im going to see if i can get that fixed sooner than later. Shes picky on ammo tho. It likes Remington pistol match and Winchester Super X, Im sure CCI Minimags would also do the trick.

I stole the TBAC 22L-1 off my Sako quad for the time being till i pick up another 22 can, Stupid quiet.

I am surprised that the high standard supermatic tournament has not made the list, along with colt huntsman. Then again, I can't convince myself to thread the one in my safe.

The Ruger and Buckmark are tops IF you want a full size pistol.
If you want something smaller that's when your selection narrows or drops off sharply.

My P22 that I pictured above ran 100% and never missed a beat, it was too small for my hand and accuracy was so-so at best. I have run Ruger's in the past with cans and all have worked great. I prefer the Buckmark for the open action and it runs a little cleaner.

another vote for the Ruger 22/45 lite. I've got a Mueller Quick Shot reflex sight on mine and it runs and shoots great with my AAC prodigy.
The pistol can be a bear to put back together til u get used to it though.

I'm going to try the Ruger SR22, had the Walther, too unreliable, heard from trusted guys the SR22 just works with everything.

It beats me why people continue to buy Walther P22s......

Amen, Even if they do run accuracy sucks.
Ruger SR22 is nice for a compact pistol.
Ruger MK II or III with the Tac Sol pack lite upper is my fav (it's had some custom work done). Very accurate, runs as close to perfect as any 22 can, ammo without primer compound won't run in any pistol (Rem. subsonic).
Tac-sol 2011-22 upper on an STI lower, great practice pistol, feels just like my comp pistol, accurate, runs great, outstanding trigger.

I have been really happy with my buckmark. I use this for suppressor demo's and it runs with all kinds of ammo without any issues.

Buckmark_zps5ff558af.jpg