• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best .22LR match ammo.

RangerWalker71

Suppressor Peddler
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette LA
    gmail.com
    I need some help gentle men. I have jumped into shooting a .22lr trainer to help with cost and my 9yr old can get a lot of trigger time with me. I'm looking for good match ammo for shooting between 200-300 yards. consistency, accuracy and price are important to me. Price being the least. So far we have been shooting Fed. Auto Match. That is the best I can find so far. Getting groups around 4 inches at 225 yards. Lots of fun for me to see the fire coming out in a new shooters eyes. Thanks for the help.

Re: Best .22LR match ammo.

After ordering 14 different kinds of "match" ammo from Midway and testing each one, the answer became obvious.

Go to Champion Shooter Supply
    and order Wolf Match Extra or SK Sagd rifle match in bulk. They performed the same out of my 2 rifles.

For $2 cheaper per 50 rounds Wolf Match Target and SK Standard Plus were very close.

I practice out to 330 yards with SK Standard Plus, best bang for my $.

For more reading, look for anything from TOP PREDATOR on the subject, a wealth of knowledge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After ordering 14 different kinds of "match" ammo from Midway and testing each one, the answer became obvious.

Go to Champion Shooter Supply
    and order Wolf Match Extra or SK Sagd rifle match in bulk. They performed the same out of my 2 rifles.

For $2 cheaper per 50 rounds Wolf Match Target and SK Standard Plus were very close.

I practice out to 330 yards with SK Standard Plus, best bang for my $. </div></div>

+1 what he said

Wolf Match Target has been consistently the best performer for the price point and most people get the same results from SK Jagd. Standard as well, but it's not available to me locally so I stick with Wolf in my gun. That being said, if you want to find what works the absolute best through your gun, you'll have to test everything for yourself. I like Eley which shoots twice as well as Wolf MT for me, but it's also 2 to 4 times the cost depending on which level you buy (Team, Match, and Tenex are the ones worth buying). I read alot of great things about Fiocci Exacta Biathlon Super Match, RWS R-50 and R-100, as well as Lapua Center-X, Midas +, and Polar Biathlon. All of these are great ammo, but they all have a higher price tag than Wolf does. I suggest getting a box (ideally two) of each and trying them all for yourself and seeing what works best. I've found that for shooting 200-300 yards for score pretty much requires a higher grade of ammo to do well. Wolf MT just doesn't cut it for me at that distance. But for 100 and under, and for general practice, I know you can't go wrong with Wolf. Best of luck to you and your 9 year old.

-Dylan

Dylan, thanks for the intell. I do a of shooting but this is my first in 22lR. I'll be ordering several different boxes to test. Told my son at dinner he's really excited to get back out and shoot. What set are you running? I have a Rem 504t with a heavy barrel, custom stock and a mil/mil NF on it. Any suggestions in set up. We shoot prone mostly, I have a Harris BP.
    Again thanks to all for a quick response.

My current setup is a Savage MkII-TR, EGW 20 MOA Base, Burris Low XTR Rings, an SWFA SS10x mil-dot scope, and a Harris bi-pod. Nothing special, but she gets the job done. I'm probably going to end up selling it though once I get around to fixing a problem I have with it. The rifle shoots fine, but it's just not what I want anymore. I want to replace it with a more "specialized" rifle
    wink.gif
    not to mention I need to build a silhouette rifle too... too many interests and not enough money.

As far as your setup goes I don't see any problems. You're doing pretty well if you're getting 4" groups @ 225 yards. Our 200 yrd rimfire comps use a bull with a 1MOA X-ring. If you can hold 4" consistently, you could probably get a fairly high score on the target, which is pretty difficult to do. I'd encourage you and your son to give it a whirl and see how you do! I didn't think it would be much fun after a while but striving to get a better score really keeps me interested for the time being.

Man, if you're getting 4" groups at over 200 yards with Federal Auto Match, which is a high velocity round, you're doing really well. Most guys shoot some sort of standard velocity/sub sonic round for longer ranges.

As has been mentioned, Wolf MT and SK Standard Plus are a good bang for the buck ammo at $5 or so a box. The next step up would be Wolf Match Extra, but I've found that it isn't worth the added cost. At $10 a box, I've had good luck with Eley Match, then at around $17 a box, Eley Tenex is really good in my rifles.

I just tried out some CCI Standard Velocity and it seems to shoot about as well as the Wolf MT. At $26 a brick, it's looking like it's going to be the best bang for the buck that I've found.

I agree. I don't shoot 22LR anymore but 4" at 200 yards with it, is something to smile.

I think if you got yourself a spinner you're 9 year old would get a blast of hitting that.

Your set up is quite nice - especially for a trainer.

I've been thinking of getting a Savage Mk11 that a local dealer has. He wants $450 for it and I think its a little high priced.

Also, I can't justify to myself at this point to move to anything less than the .223 other than ammo.

What was the problem with yours Terror!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Radar86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been thinking of getting a Savage Mk11 that a local dealer has. He wants $450 for it and I think its a little high priced.</div></div> That is a tad too high for any of the models as far as I know. I believe I payed around $420 for my TR and that's one of the more expensive models offered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Radar86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was the problem with yours Terror!</div></div>
    When you try to torque the action screws with the factory "bottom metal" (aka paper thin steel) you end up warping the metal and this causes inconsistencies with your rifle's stringing. The fix is to buy 1/8" bottom metal from savagegunsmithing or through D.I.P.

The problem is very noticable too. My rifle went from holding the ten ring easily to giving me 4-6" diagonal groups stringing from the upper left down to the lower right.

No problem, but that's a different model all together. The bottom metal I spoke about is only an option for MkII's (bolt-action) and that is a 64 (semi-auto).

I ordered some of the SK Jagd, and Wolf to try. I have a couple of 2" spinners out at 100-150yrds. One self healing and one steel. Shot yesterday with the boy. He did very well. Took a little warm up but he got back in the groove. Banging 4" steel square at 150" 5 of 5. On our last mag. I also added my 4 year old. He loved it but didnt hit steel. Smile was worth Millions. Next week it will be their sisters turn. Should have the new ammo by Friday and I'll give a range report and take a pic or two. Thanks For all the ifo and help.

CCI SV is ok for cheap, similar to wolf but cheaper (its 23.99 at dicks usually for 500). I usually just go with lapua center x, seems to be the best combination of performance/price to me and have had the best results with it at longer ranges.

If you just want to do some long range plinking the wolf mt or cci sv would work for that. I wouldnt really say either are "match grade" but their ok for anything other than a real match.

I have to amend what I said in my above post regarding the CCI SV being about a good as Wolf Match Target. Since my last post, I did a side by side and the CCI isn't nearly as consistent as the Wolf MT. This is based on the results of shooting three different rifles. Still, the CCI is about half the cost, and Wolf isn't twice as good.

In short,
    Every rim fire rifle will shoot some ammo better than others.
    Get a bunch of different types and test YOUR rifle with them.

Here are some that I would recommend you consider prior to jumping into the high end ammo such as Lapua Midas or Eley Prime:
    - Federal Auto Match AM22 (AM22 & Federal GMM 719 are ballistic equivalents)
    - Federal Champion Target 510
    - Federal Gold Medal Match 922A (922A & UM22 are ballistic equivalents)
    - Federal Gold Medal Match 711B
    - CCI Standard Velocity 0032
    - CCI Green Tag 0033
    - CCI Select 0045
    - Wolf Match Target
    - Wolf Match Extra

There are also ways to make the less expensive cartridges perform better.
    - Sort by Rim Thickness.
    - Sort by Weight.
    - Bullet pointing dies like Neil Waltz or Paco.
    - Re-Lube the bullets.

When testing, there are a couple of things to always remember:
    - When switching test subjects, the barrel will need to be seasoned with 10 - 50 rounds before the test results can be deemed accurate.
    - Testing .22 LR ammo can be tedious. Take breaks and have fun with it. If you start getting frustrated, stop for the day.
    - Save every target, take good notes, and be sure to record weather conditions.

Winchester Dynapoint points hands down....oh I thought you said worst.
    Wolf match works for me and in bulk is less than $5 per box.

I have shot Wolf Match Extra in all three of my rifles; Remington 40XB, H&R 250 Sportster, and a Marlin 80, and all three rifles group exceptionaly well with this ammo... especially the 40X... Smells good too, much better odor than other 22 rounds I have used.

Ah you're right Terror. I was traveling last week and didn't get on the hide much at all. Yeah, I picked the wrong model in genie.

I might check the rifle again this weekend and see if it's still there. I really don't mind paying a little more, just I don't want to pay a lot more than I have too.

I haven't shot 22LR in a rifle in a long long time. This could be a fun round to play with again.

It is worth trying every .22 LR load you can get your hands on in a new rifle, since different rifles of the same make and model may each do better with different loads from each other, and sometimes, the most accurate load in a given .22 LR will be a bargain load, not a match load.

I have a Ruger .22 LR Pistol (a Mk. II) which happens to like Federal Hi Power loads over any of the match loads, and I have tried all of the match loads in it that I could get my hands on.

I purchased the savage MkII today in 22LR.

I haven't yet got all the different ammo to try out but I will soon.

I'll post some pics soon too.

The way used to do it in small bore was see what the rifle likes buy a few boxes and see what prints best at 2-300yds their all gonna get flighty though cos you well past optimal range for a .22 my an huts always shot best with either t22 or eley can cut lines with t.22 and drove 5 shots in one whole at 75 with both ammos

For the first time out, I shot CCI's Mini-Mag 22LR 40 grain Copper Plated Round nose. It the only ammo I tried.

Shots finally settled into clovers at 100 yards once I got the scope zeroed.

Not bad. Fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need some help gentle men. I have jumped into shooting a .22lr trainer to help with cost and my 9yr old can get a lot of trigger time with me. I'm looking for good match ammo for shooting between 200-300 yards. consistency, accuracy and price are important to me. Price being the least. So far we have been shooting Fed. Auto Match. That is the best I can find so far. Getting groups around 4 inches at 225 yards. Lots of fun for me to see the fire coming out in a new shooters eyes. Thanks for the help. </div></div>

That's an extremely ambitious distance for rimfire shooting, but I did run across a study of high-grade rimfire ammo recently. Dozens of different ammo types were fired from a world-class rifle at 100 yards (and lesser distances as well). The top five in order of accuracy at 100 yards were: Eley Match, Lapua Midas Plus, Lapua Midas Match, Lapua Polar Biathlon and Eley Tenex Ultimate EPS.

FYI, the Federal 922 is really RWS.

The "best", as asked for by the OP, are simply Eley Tenex in the red box and Lapua Midas. Close to $20/box of 50 these days.

Wolf and SK are the exact same thing in different boxes.

If you are not lot testing, you are never going to find the right ammo for your rifle. There are some magic lots out there that will shoot in about anything, but unless you are testing multiple lots across multiple rifles, you'll not be able to discover the magic lots.

I have access to a lot of Eley Team that is a magic lot right now
    smile.gif
    wink.gif